Old 01-26-2020, 11:28 AM
Banned but not forgotten

Niced 607 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Specifically why I referenced BRP & Vision Quest to provide some context for comparison you could relate to.
I really wish the VQ comparisons would go away. VQ is all hype. Lumping it in with BRP reduces BRPs greatness.

Although I will say that BRP gets such a huge bump from its signature hole, and if I were being objective and rated the course without #4 and without regional bias I wouldn't rate it nearly as high as I do. BRP is like Great America Ballpark; it took the best elements from other courses and added the P2P polish. But now over a decade later it is overshadowed by other courses that do that stuff better.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2020, 12:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 330
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,105 Times in 1,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerico View Post
Judging a course by one picture is a great idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
I really wish the VQ comparisons would go away. VQ is all hype. Lumping it in with BRP reduces BRPs greatness.

Although I will say that BRP gets such a huge bump from its signature hole, and if I were being objective and rated the course without #4 and without regional bias I wouldn't rate it nearly as high as I do. BRP is like Great America Ballpark; it took the best elements from other courses and added the P2P polish. But now over a decade later it is overshadowed by other courses that do that stuff better.
I really enjoyed Vision Quest, and thought the water holes were well-executed. Smart to feature more water later in the course, so discs aren't lost early in the round.

Mixed feelings on #18 (probs the most memorable hole). Love the way you tee off from the middle of the pond on the floating dock (very innovative), but .....the dock kinda bobs around a bit, messing with your footing during a tee shot.. where you're trying to carry water, which really makes it tough for noodle arms. High marks for creativity, but so-so on execution. If they could make that tee more stable, that'd be great.

FWIW, Bryant Lake was my fave on that trip. Great mix of holes, really good elevation, beautiful course with some handsome landscaping, and wonderfull use of dual tees and baskets to let us customize our round. That'd be my 4.5 , with BRP and VQ being 4.0-4.25'ish. Kaposia was great, except for the goofy section (approx 17-20 or so) that's very rough around the edges, and hard to navigate. Fix those holes, and it's right up there with BRP & VQ.

Old 01-26-2020, 01:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.9
Courses Played: 259
Niced 152 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
I
....Love the way you tee off from the middle of the pond on the floating dock (very innovative), but .....the dock kinda bobs around a bit, messing with your footing during a tee shot.. where you're trying to carry water, which really makes it tough for noodle arms. High marks for creativity, but so-so on execution. If they could make that tee more stable, that'd be great.
Guessing you haven't thrown the ctp contest at Sandy Point resort, they have two floating docks to throw from. Get to them by boat or swim. One year we may or may not have helped someone "accidentally" fall in the lake. It was about 45 degrees out if I remember correctly...

Niced: (1)
Old 01-26-2020, 02:39 PM
Banned but not forgotten

Niced 607 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
FWIW, Bryant Lake was my fave on that trip. Great mix of holes, really good elevation, beautiful course with some handsome landscaping, and wonderfull use of dual tees and baskets to let us customize our round. That'd be my 4.5 , with BRP and VQ being 4.0-4.25'ish. Kaposia was great, except for the goofy section (approx 17-20 or so) that's very rough around the edges, and hard to navigate. Fix those holes, and it's right up there with BRP & VQ.
Bryant Lake gets a lot of drive by love but for the locals it is known as a pretty easy course. Lots of easy scoring holes make your impression of it go down over time. I don’t know many locals that prefer Bryant over Kaposia.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 267
Niced 2,239 Times in 1,270 Posts

Quote:
I really enjoyed Vision Quest, and thought the water holes were well-executed. Smart to feature more water later in the course, so discs aren't lost early in the round.

Mixed feelings on #18 (probs the most memorable hole). Love the way you tee off from the middle of the pond on the floating dock (very innovative), but .....the dock kinda bobs around a bit, messing with your footing during a tee shot.. where you're trying to carry water, which really makes it tough for noodle arms. High marks for creativity, but so-so on execution. If they could make that tee more stable, that'd be great.

bryant lake is beautiful but also overall course play is soft af

kp really depends on what season you play it during and the layout and all that kp does have a strong following from the east siders and from the people who followed its "history"

but i suppose most courses do depend on "when" you play it however kp varies moar than most cuz of 18 layout or 26 or greenery or bare branches
Old 01-26-2020, 05:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:

vq isnt sustainable

brp is great but truly not a top 10 course anymoar
Old 01-26-2020, 05:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 298
Niced 91 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Lumping it in with BRP reduces BRPs greatness.

...if I were being objective and rated the course without #4 and without regional bias I wouldn't rate it nearly as high as I do...
you've discovered the "problem" with
online reviews, objectivity! and as you experience more top level courses, you're idea of what makes a course great changes. Brp is a 4 with great amenities.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 44.9
Courses Played: 193
Niced 601 Times in 286 Posts

The PDGA/Udisc just released their top ten in the world list. They had Jarva at #1. They also had the Canyons on their list. (Lost the link, sorry if already posted).
Old 01-26-2020, 05:51 PM
* Ace Member *

https://udisc.com/blog/tag/worlds-be...c-golf-courses

Niced: (1)

Old 01-26-2020, 05:53 PM
* Ace Member *

according to udisc

1 jarva