* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,396 Times in 537 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan037 View Post
I agree but also keep in mind this was a few weeks ago and he’s been practicing non stop since then.
Leaning into your throw is a rookie habit. I thought he was an experienced disc player already?
That doesn't sound like it.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2020, 11:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,878 Times in 2,562 Posts

Looks like he will need to play at least 1 small event... and that's if he doesn't tank it...

https://www.pdga.com/announcements/r...te-series-2020
Quote:
Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 15:36

Upon the recommendation of the PDGA Majors and National Tour Committee, the PDGA Board of Directors has approved a minimum rating threshold for competition in the Open (MPO) division at PDGA Major and Elite Series events in 2020.

In order to compete in the MPO division at these tournaments, players must be rated 900 or better at the time they register for the event.

The implementation of this ratings minimum was added to the 2020 PDGA Tour Standards and will be in effect at PDGA Majors with an Open field (PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships, European Open, United States Disc Golf Championship) and all PDGA National Tour and Disc Golf Pro Tour events. If a player’s rating falls below this threshold between the time they register and the beginning of the event, they may still compete in the tournament.

Any questions regarding this policy can be directed to the PDGA Tour Manager.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:33 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 12
Niced 114 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I don't know....I was under-impressed. I thought his throws were wildly inconsistent, really unable to throw a repeatable drive. Several misfires as well. He did lean into a couple throws though.

All I was thinking was, they could not have waited a few days for a break in the weather to go outside to film this? You could not really get much of an idea of disc flight or the differences between the molds.
Didn't look "wildly inconsistent" to me, but I'm also a noob so I might be speaking out of turn. Many of the discs he had never thrown before, too.

What I will say is that he certainly did not look ready to enter a top class event. He looked like a really, really gifted beginner with top potential, which is exactly what he is. I think the hype-eaters are going to be very disappointed that he doesn't come out ready to beat the pros.

Niced: (3)
Old 01-30-2020, 11:34 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 54 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I don't know....I was under-impressed. I thought his throws were wildly inconsistent, really unable to throw a repeatable drive. Several misfires as well. He did lean into a couple throws though.

All I was thinking was, they could not have waited a few days for a break in the weather to go outside to film this? You could not really get much of an idea of disc flight or the differences between the molds.
He throws like the guy at the top of Intermediate who absolutely bombs but it's kind of all over the place.

Still very impressive for a guy who has been seriously playing the sport for about a month. He'll improve, but he obviously isn't there yet. I guarantee he knows this as well.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-30-2020, 11:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,878 Times in 2,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
Didn't look "wildly inconsistent" to me, but I'm also a noob so I might be speaking out of turn. Many of the discs he had never thrown before, too.

What I will say is that he certainly did not look ready to enter a top class event. He looked like a really, really gifted beginner with top potential, which is exactly what he is. I think the hype-eaters are going to be very disappointed that he doesn't come out ready to beat the pros.
Anybody that really thought he would "come out ready to beat the pros" was delusional and deserves a let down.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-30-2020, 11:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 230 Times in 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Leaning into your throw is a rookie habit. I thought he was an experienced disc player already?
That doesn't sound like it.
Could be a habit carried over from ultimate, or him just getting used to a throw like that. Throwing an ultimate disc is still very different from throwing a golf disc .
Old 01-30-2020, 11:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 48.2
Courses Played: 60
Niced 389 Times in 214 Posts

screenshot from Marshall Street Disc Golf January e-mail list newsletter little bit on the Brody by Sam Henson.
“Brodie Smith signs with Discraft”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 226C3ED5-43C5-4912-87E8-AEEFF6403F56.jpg (150.6 KB, 93 views)

Niced: (1)
Old 01-31-2020, 07:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,396 Times in 537 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Anybody that really thought he would "come out ready to beat the pros" was delusional and deserves a let down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan037 View Post
Could be a habit carried over from ultimate, or him just getting used to a throw like that. Throwing an ultimate disc is still very different from throwing a golf disc .
Get ready for a let down.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,635 Times in 1,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDSM View Post
screenshot from Marshall Street Disc Golf January e-mail list newsletter little bit on the Brody by Sam Henson.
“Brodie Smith signs with Discraft”
I like how they picked a photo of him with a DiscStore branded disc in his hands. Come on Marshall Street

Niced: (3)

Old 01-31-2020, 08:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 868 Times in 457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasissouth View Post
That was one of my favorite commentary moments ever. Do you remember which round?
I can remember he commented on DDGC 2018 and Texas state champs 2019 and maybe WACO?
Pretty sure DDGC. He is on all 3 rounds with Big Jerm so cant remember which one it is.