Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 927 Times in 775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post
That's interesting.

When I putt I tend to look at the stamp to see how I'm holding the disc. I put my thumb on the un-stamped space in-between the X in the Aviar-X and the Innova logo on my JKs... which would mean that I could read it. I never thought of being able to read it as the reason for this grip, though.

However, I never look at a stamp on any other throw. I just find where it feels good and throw.
I tend to throw some of my Innova Champion Discs, my Discraft Z, and newer ESP discs with the stamp sideways as the words are then like a guide to aiming. If that is not helping then I grip where the disc is comfortable on the rim trying not to overuse a spot or two. The two Proline Titanic's in my bag have a hash mark spot that I try to end for so my fingers are where they would be if I was doing my slightly slanted power grip and with the forehand no arm movement flick shot or the forehand putt I grip the disc so it the two fingers are touching the rim or at least the index is in the case of the standard forehand putt.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Casey 1988; 02-09-2020 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:31 AM
Par Member

Niced 119 Times in 61 Posts

Wow, a lot of replies here...
Yes, obviously I just grip the disc where I can’t feel any raised print, but would much prefer if I didn’t have to think about it before every shot with those discs...
I did think that perhaps I could learn to like it, but it just feels uncomfortable and makes me think about my grip too much.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:35 AM
Par Member

The worst discs for raised lettering are my Comet and Zeus. Rest are not a problem.
I wonder why they do this?
Old 02-09-2020, 09:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,059 Times in 1,429 Posts

I get that much of this game is played between your ears. If you too concerned about what part of the disc you're holding because of the stamp, tooling, etc.... you probably need the kind of professional help you can't get on this forum.

Going through rack after rack of a certain mold looking for the right weight, color, plastic is tough enough. If you have to factor in "stamp orientation relative to the tooling so I can grip away from (or on) the tooling and read the stamp" ...God forbid you lose that disc.

I'd argue that if you're paying attention to the stamp as your getting ready to throw, you've probably already lost the mental game, and it's time to wipe the stamp.

Niced: (3)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 02-09-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:07 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,059 Times in 1,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFlight View Post
The worst discs for raised lettering are my Comet and Zeus. Rest are not a problem.
I wonder why they do this?
When all we had was base plastic, all the manufaturers (granted there were three* ) had the tooling on the underside of the flight plate. Once candy plastic showed up, you could see the tooling through the plate. Innova decided they didn't care, Discraft decided to move the tooling to the rim where you wouldn't see it through the plate.

It mirrored what I did as a player. All of my discs used to be inked on the back of the flight plate, but now since that ink shows through on Champ/Z plastic I write my name on the rim.

Comets had the old Walled Lake tooling for a long time; they were not a regular Z disc until Discraft changed to the circle Z stamp and the stamp actually lined up and covered the tooling, so no problem. Then the patent number lawsuits happened and they had to scrub the patent number off that tooling, so since it was an issue they moved it to the rim like all their other discs.

*estimate, I didn't really count.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-09-2020, 10:51 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,192 Times in 773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I play with a guy who doesn't look at the stamp and holds the disc any which way; I can't look at him when he is on the tee or lining up shot. It's like anarchy. Fortunately most people seem to hold the disc with the stamp oriented in a way that they can read it.
That’s interesting, I have no idea where the stamp is when I throw, it’s more about feeling for a spot that I like the grip of. If I let my obsessive mind know which way the disc is facing then it will be all I can think about.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:45 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,059 Times in 1,102 Posts

I've played a lot with people who say they don't pay attention to the stamp orientation who always have the stamp oriented so that when they hold the disc in front of them the stamp is rightside-up. I think it's a very unconscious thing that people generally do.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,734 Times in 757 Posts

The raised rim tooling does bother me, but if there's enough clean space to get my fingers in, I'm fine.

What does bother me is feeling the stamp on my thumb. One of the things that drove me nuts on some Discraft discs that had the ring around the edge stamp, I hated that!

I like the classic Innova Star plastic stamp, just enough to say what it is and nothing to get under my thumb. And no, I could care less which way the stamp is oriented when I throw.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,330 Times in 905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I play with a guy who doesn't look at the stamp and holds the disc any which way; I can't look at him when he is on the tee or lining up shot. It's like anarchy. Fortunately most people seem to hold the disc with the stamp oriented in a way that they can read it.
You took me totally of guard with this post. I have NEVER given any thought to the stamp when throwing. I have NEVER even given a thought to other's attention to their stamp. I will have to start paying attention to my cardmates.

Niced: (2)

Old 02-09-2020, 02:33 PM
Par Member

Definitely never think about stamp orientation, that’s the first I’ve heard!

It’s just a feel thing for me... It’s not that it’s in my head as much as it is just uncomfortable. It’s like people who don’t like beaded discs, it just doesn’t feel right. I would’ve preferred they kept it in the flight plate where you can’t feel it.

Anyways, for now I think I’ll leave them. Worried I’ll just screw up the discs I love... still love the way they fly, it’s just a bit distracting having to spin the disc to find the right grip every time I want to throw them, and would rather focus on the shots.