Old 02-10-2020, 03:30 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Nose down stretch and ulnar deviation mobility

Hi everyone!

I have some thoughts and questions about nose down (ulnar deviation).
Even when trying my hardest to keep the disc nose down and throwing reeeeeaaally slow it will still come out a few degrees (?) nose up.
I'm able to throw 450' and with a good flight path so it isn't affecting me that much on regular throws. But I feel that the disc is stalling late flight more than it should. Especially when throwing high and for distance.
I have yet to throw the disc too much nose down. (Is that even possible? I have never seen anyone do that.)

When holding the disc out in front of me and keeping the nose down with all my strength it's still not as much nose down as I want it to be. I just can't bend my wrist or fingers more. And when I throw I want to be somewhat relaxed.

What's your thoughts on this?
Is this an issue for most people?
Maybe it isn't even an issue?
Should people like me exercise and stretch the wrist in an ulnar deviation to get the nose down more, or is that unnecessary and perhaps even harmful?

(I feel like my grip is correct so that's probably not the problem.)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2020, 08:39 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 523
Niced 777 Times in 277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by navel View Post
Hi everyone!

I have some thoughts and questions about nose down (ulnar deviation).
Even when trying my hardest to keep the disc nose down and throwing reeeeeaaally slow it will still come out a few degrees (?) nose up.
I'm able to throw 450' and with a good flight path so it isn't affecting me that much on regular throws. But I feel that the disc is stalling late flight more than it should. Especially when throwing high and for distance.
I have yet to throw the disc too much nose down. (Is that even possible? I have never seen anyone do that.)

When holding the disc out in front of me and keeping the nose down with all my strength it's still not as much nose down as I want it to be. I just can't bend my wrist or fingers more. And when I throw I want to be somewhat relaxed.

What's your thoughts on this?
Is this an issue for most people?
Maybe it isn't even an issue?
Should people like me exercise and stretch the wrist in an ulnar deviation to get the nose down more, or is that unnecessary and perhaps even harmful?

(I feel like my grip is correct so that's probably not the problem.)

Use the Bonopane grip. It is designed to keep the nose down without having to try hard or think about it. Here is a video featuring Al Bonopane....

Old 02-10-2020, 09:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 573 Times in 246 Posts

The problem may be deeper than merely your grip.
Film yourself, or have someone film you,
and look at the plane of your extension (reach back), it should be flat
and ensure you are weight-forward, that is, weight transferred to your front foot before you bring the disc forward.
Last, look at your shoulders, they should be neutral ( flat and parallel) , if not pointed a bit down in front.

At 450’, i doubt your throw is too nose up...
Old 02-10-2020, 10:01 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the reply guys!

The bonopane grip isn't for me, and that isn't really what I'm after either.
My form is far from perfect, but I would say that it's at least decent. I'm working on other stuff as well.
The problem is that if I reach my arm out straight as if I would be just in the hit and release of the throw I can't get the nose down that last degree(?) that I want too. I feel like some people should probably be able to point it lower than I do just by genetics. Is there any point in working on that by stretching and/or wrist exercises? And if so, which ones and how?
Old 02-10-2020, 10:13 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 173 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the reply guys!

My form is far from perfect, but I would say that it's at least decent. I'm working on other stuff as well.
The problem is that if I reach my arm out straight as if I would be just in the hit and release of the throw I can't get the nose down that last degree(?) that I want too. I feel like some people should probably be able to point it lower than I do just by genetics. Is there any point in working on that by stretching and/or wrist exercises? And if so, which ones and how?
It's gotta be a grip or posture/balance issue. With a properly aligned grip and your weight forward, you shouldn't have to try hard to throw nose down. I'd take a video of your grip and a couple throws and post it in the Form Analysis section if you want the best shot at a diagnosis.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-10-2020, 06:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 74
Niced 161 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
The banopane is not really useful for normal throwing. But it will show you if you throw nose up.
For example: lets say you throw nose up, then throw with a banopane grip and it goes further with the same disc and effort. Then your normal grip is nose up.

If you cannot hold the disc straight out shoulder height and the disc be nose down, then your grip has problems. Getting nose down has nothing to do with genetics or flexibility. It is all on keeping proper consistent grip through out your shot. I would check your grip first. But in the end you are already throwing decent distances so you may just not be able to recognize what a flight at that distance looks like.

Also an important note, getting more nose down that flat really has no benefits. As soon as the disc leaves your hand it will flatten out quickly. The goal of "throwing nose down" is really to just avoid throwing nose up. A few degrees would be ideal. But I think anything flat to slightly nose down is a good release.

Read this:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...ttoripit.shtml

Niced: (1)
Old 02-11-2020, 02:13 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 290 Times in 221 Posts

You aren't throwing 450 with the nose up. How do you know you are throwing nose up? Get some video.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:27 PM
Banned but not forgotten

Niced 607 Times in 323 Posts

I think it is very possible to throw 450' nose up. The reason it usually doesn't happen is because nose down is a product of a good hit. Nose up with power is almost always a product of an early hit or slip.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:52 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 36.3
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 95 Times in 57 Posts

Your spine angle probably leans away from the target.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:41 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 192 Times in 113 Posts

OP - Post a video of your form in form analysis. Grip has been heavily discussed and focusing on it as the underlying issue isn't usually helpful. It's more likely that your body positioning or part of your form is causing the high throws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Your spine angle probably leans away from the target.
It should.

That face ��

Last edited by drk_evns; 02-18-2020 at 03:46 PM.