Old 02-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 437
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Trip to Charlotte, NC area

Headed to Charlotte with the misses in Mid May to visit friends (and ditch them to play disc golf)! I am not sure how much I am going to get to play but I will definitely be playing. I will be up in Davidson. There are plenty of decent courses in the area for me to play (especially compared to here in Chicagoland) but really mainly had two general questions.

What is the easiest way to get on the Davidson campus course since it is just for students? where to go in, what/who to avoid. Not super excited about this course but it is close. a bike ride close.

IF I skipped Renny would I be disappointed? With the possibility of playing some with 3 non-disc golfers I would not want to drag them to Renny because of the length and difficulty of the course. I can only let some many groups play through before not wanting to play too. I might trek out there myself but haven't decided. It might be take up too much of my time (drive there, play a round, drive back) and be better off knocking out a couple of courses on the north side instead. I got time, just planning ahead.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 116
Niced 249 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate View Post
Headed to Charlotte with the misses in Mid May to visit friends (and ditch them to play disc golf)! I am not sure how much I am going to get to play but I will definitely be playing. I will be up in Davidson. There are plenty of decent courses in the area for me to play (especially compared to here in Chicagoland) but really mainly had two general questions.

What is the easiest way to get on the Davidson campus course since it is just for students? where to go in, what/who to avoid. Not super excited about this course but it is close. a bike ride close.

IF I skipped Renny would I be disappointed? With the possibility of playing some with 3 non-disc golfers I would not want to drag them to Renny because of the length and difficulty of the course. I can only let some many groups play through before not wanting to play too. I might trek out there myself but haven't decided. It might be take up too much of my time (drive there, play a round, drive back) and be better off knocking out a couple of courses on the north side instead. I got time, just planning ahead.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
If you want your 3 non-disc golfers to lose all their discs and give up the sport, take them to Renny... or take them to Reedy Creek or Kilborne and you will still be friends afterwards.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 115
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

+1 for Reedy Creek
Old 02-20-2010, 06:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 201
Niced 8 Times in 4 Posts

Stumpy Creek is very close to Davidson and a pretty good course. Renny is a no-brainer, and I really like Hornet's Nest. From what I hear Nevin is a must if you have the time. Reedy and Kilborne are both good courses too. Leave th enoobs at home and meet up with some of th eguys from this site. Everybody i have played with has been great and you'll get around the courses quicker that way too.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 116
Niced 249 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
Renny is a no-brainer,
Read this guy's review... it's a no brainer only if you are a masochist.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.8
Courses Played: 386
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 23 Times in 10 Posts

I have not been to Davidson in a few years, so I can not vouch for the maintenance. But, IMO it gets a bad rap here. It is not a bad course (other than finding the 1st and 2nd tees). It is quite appropriate for beginners to give them a good feel for what DG is about.

Stumpy is ridiculously narrow (and punishing) for most of the first 6-7 holes.....I a not high on it if you have limited time. Hornet's Nest (a favorite of a ton a pros) and Nevin (brand new and difficult) are on the north side of town and will be close to you.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 201
Niced 8 Times in 4 Posts

Just because Renny kicked my backside doesn't mean it's not a great course. Plus I am not that good anyway. And on top of all those problems, I played the Gold layout. Not the smartest move I ever made. But it is still a great course, it just has lots of challenges. I am planning on going back. My game has gotten a little better since then, and I could use some more humbling.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

If you're taking noobs out, Reedy Creek is probably the best place to go. Kilborne would be a close second. Nevin is an incredibly difficult course. My brain hurts just thinking about it. Renny original would be a better place to take a noob than Nevin. Hornet's Nest Original would be an ok option, as the front nine is fairly open, and not too long. I haven't played it yet, but my understanding is that Elon Original is very beginner friendly.

Stumpy Creek is a terrific course, if a bit on the difficult side. Lots of up and down, and about 2/3 of the holes are in thick woods. If you decide to venture over to the other side of Lake Norman, Beatty's Ford Park is a terrific little 9 holer. And by little, I mean small and short, but it's FUN.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 437
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I definitely would not bring them to Renny, Nevin, or Hornet's Nest. I would bring them to Reedy, Davidson, Stumpy, or just a 9 holer. Plus they wouldn't lose all their discs, they will be losing all of mine. Being from Chicago, I appreciate disc golf for disc golf. I am not overly picking about where I play. It doesn't have to be a great course for me to be happy. Also I am still stuck at Novice/Rec abilities. So long courses is not where I do well. I still enjoy playing them. I don't get upset when I don't 3 everything.

With not being sure on how much I will play trying to figure out if I go Renny as the first choice if I wander off alone. I am leaning towards playing Hornet's Nest as my first solo course out there, just struggling with the choice of passing on Renny or not. I figure it will take longer to play Renny than anywhere else. It might mean one round instead of two. But I don't want to pass on Renny it I am going to regret not playing that caliber of course. I have played a lot of courses, but not a lot of champion caliber courses. Probably not any really. Stupid region I live in. So that's my real debate.

Good thing I am trying to sort it out 3 months in advance. The best part is I talk the wife into a road trip so we can play both ways. I am glad she likes breaking up the ride by playing disc golf with me. Even if she just decides to play out from my drives (which are not great anyway).

Old 02-21-2010, 06:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I just played Stumpy for the 2nd time today, the first time from the short tees. It's tough. Hornet's Nest Original would be a much better course to take a new player. I forgot just how much up and down there was. It's fresh in my mind now. The shorts are listed as 5555 ft., but it sure feels like it's longer than that.