Old 04-26-2017, 10:00 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 132 Times in 55 Posts
Default Is Prodigy going to rethink their business model?

Prodigy has one man in the top 15.
They have the top woman, but I am not sure how many other females are on the prodigy team.

They've started making baskets, but I have noticed a considerable decline in the number of people I play with throwing their discs. (I play 25-30 tournaments a year, and play 5 casual rounds a week on average). in fact, I would say that less than half of the people I know that used to bag a prodigy disc, no longer do. Totally anecdotal, but that's the information I have.

Are they in trouble as a company? Why have all of the pros they bought up initially, now left them? Do a lot of people outside of the south even throw Prodigy discs?

Just interesting to me to see that initial support, and now my perceived lack of support for them.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2017, 10:10 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 100
Niced 74 Times in 33 Posts

[QUOTE=numbernine;316965

Just interesting to me to see that initial support, and now my perceived lack of support for them.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Its just your perceived lack of support. The company is doing just fine and has grown exponentially over the last couple of years. The lack of love here on DGCR is not indicative of the support from the DG community at large. There are some awesome new products on the way as well that will continue the growth of the company. I'm sure at some point the growth will plateau as any company outside of DD sees in the DG industry with it being as saturated of a market as it is, but the powers that be at Prodigy are sound business people with a solid plan for the sustainability of the company.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,974 Times in 1,638 Posts

Oh boy, another "Prodigy is going under" thread sure to be populated by uninformed folks who don't have a clue what's going on (myself included).

I'm sure Prodigy is doing just fine. That some of their top original players are now elsewhere means nothing. Their initial model of player sponsorship was unsustainable for a well established company, let alone a start-up. The market has corrected that, but they still support a sizeable stable of players on par with most other top manufacturers. I'm not in the south but I see a fair amount of their plastic around here (doesn't hurt that they sponsor one of the top local pros either) so I can't imagine their sales are dropping significantly.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:19 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 100
Niced 74 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Oh boy, another "Prodigy is going under" thread sure to be populated by uninformed folks who don't have a clue what's going on (myself included).

I'm sure Prodigy is doing just fine. That some of their top original players are now elsewhere means nothing. Their initial model of player sponsorship was unsustainable for a well established company, let alone a start-up. The market has corrected that, but they still support a sizeable stable of players on par with most other top manufacturers. I'm not in the south but I see a fair amount of their plastic around here (doesn't hurt that they sponsor one of the top local pros either) so I can't imagine their sales are dropping significantly.
^^^ Bingo, well said JC.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,904 Times in 2,567 Posts

They do have some awesome plastics. I used to throw D2s and D4s and absolutely loved the feel of that 400g plastic(left both of them sitting in the middle of fairways playing dubs...). I don't think they are going away anytime soon BUT I do think they could do more to promote themselves. Take BG Ams for instance. They just had 4 new drivers approved but handed out 300 series(baseline) PA3s in the player pack...
Old 04-26-2017, 10:52 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
I didn't say they were going under. I asked if they were going to rethink their business model.

Quote:
I'm sure Prodigy is doing just fine. That some of their top original players are now elsewhere means nothing. Their initial model of player sponsorship was unsustainable for a well established company, let alone a start-up.
Well, it does mean something. You've mentioned the changes they had to make. So....

I'm not saying they are going away or whatever. I'm asking abotu their initial push versus now and how they change with the times.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,974 Times in 1,638 Posts

You asked if they were in trouble. Not sure how to interpret that as anything but suggesting that they're failing in some respect. Changing the way they sponsor players (or who they sponsor) indicates nothing in regard to them being "in trouble". Nor does your observation that few players you know are throwing their plastic. Few companies get off the ground and follow a straight linear path to "success". Every one goes through ups and downs and finds the need to make changes now and then. Prodigy isn't unique in that at all.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:10 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
You asked if they were in trouble. Not sure how to interpret that as anything but suggesting that they're failing in some respect. Changing the way they sponsor players (or who they sponsor) indicates nothing in regard to them being "in trouble". .
This implies that they decided to stop sponsoring most of those players.
The pros I know that have changed, did so because Prodigy couldn't keep up with what other companies could and did offer.

The idea that Prodigy doesn't want the top pros throwing their plastic is silly.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:13 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 49 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbernine View Post
I'm not saying they are going away or whatever. I'm asking abotu their initial push versus now and how they change with the times.
They very clearly changed their sponsorship model (i'm assuming you're getting at that with your above statement), while also growing in numbers, especially at the grassroots level.

I did a pretty deep dive into this question a few months ago. It can be read here: https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2017/...igys-not-dead/

Niced: (1)

Old 04-26-2017, 11:18 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colucc43 View Post
They very clearly changed their sponsorship model (i'm assuming you're getting at that with your above statement), while also growing in numbers, especially at the grassroots level.

I did a pretty deep dive into this question a few months ago. It can be read here: https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2017/...igys-not-dead/
Good information.

Thanks!
So I guess I was "sort of" right? They are changing their business model some? They aren't as focused on the "elite" players, and more focused on growing their team?