Old 08-05-2018, 09:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 206 Times in 144 Posts
Default DG in the UP of MI !?!?

Planning a Northwoods getaway towards the end of summer. Couple of questions for folks in Northern WI. and the UP.

My route will take me across the great lake of Michigan via ferry to Manitowac, Wl, where I will play rolling ridge and then work my way up to the UP of Michigan.

I plan to stop at Highbridge hills obviously and perhaps at one other course. Perhaps camping in the Chequemeon National forest before crossing the state line.

What DG course are in the UP that are must plays?

Also, any league action up their cause I love playing in a league while I'm traveling. Great way to meet people.

Thanks for any help/suggestions. And looking forward to a break and cooler weather of the north country..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2018, 11:44 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 220
Niced 196 Times in 103 Posts

Manitowoc itself offers Silver Creek, which is solid enough, if you're looking to stretch legs immediately after the ferry ride. Don't sleep on Zobel Park if you're in the area of Rollin Ridge, and have the time to take a bit of a detour on the way to the UP.

Once up in the UP, I'd say Porcupine Mountain is definitely skippable (though not necessarily BAD, per se, just *ticky* without much epicness). Powder Mill in Marquette is awesomesauce.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:59 AM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,257 Times in 621 Posts

Paging UP Mountain Man...
Old 08-05-2018, 12:06 PM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Also, if you haven't been up north yet, I'd highly recommend a mosquito netting for over your hat/face. Maybe not necessary for Rollin Ridge, but in the UP there are some tenacious biting flies that don't respect bug spray and can ruin a fun time. Just my 2 cents.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-05-2018, 12:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 31.9
Courses Played: 913
Niced 104 Times in 53 Posts

I will second Silver Creek as a good course; and views of Lake Michigan (including the lighthouse hole) from the course; quite unique. Zobel, Wilderness, Sandy Point, all very good layouts. The Tailings (which UP Mountain Man has been contributing to, quite a bit, of late) quite good as well...and Mountain Man is knowledgeable regarding the area itself; not to mention his own private course. A PM his way is probably a very good idea.

Silver Creek lighthouse hole...looks all nice and benign is this pic...ha!

I believe the two water holes at Sandy Point should be in play at present as well. Here's the finish of one:

Niced: (1)
Old 08-05-2018, 12:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 74 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
Also, if you haven't been up north yet, I'd highly recommend a mosquito netting for over your hat/face. Maybe not necessary for Rollin Ridge, but in the UP there are some tenacious biting flies that don't respect bug spray and can ruin a fun time. Just my 2 cents.
I disagree, I live in Marquette and have had no issues with biting flies. Though my area of experience is rather small.

There's also a Silver Creek in Marquette, but it's not very exciting. It is my home course though.

I'll second Powder Mill as a nice course.

I also recommend The Tailings in Iron River. It's a neat course on/near an old iron mine. Just don't throw anything in the old quarry ponds unless you're a professional rock climber.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.1
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,407 Times in 540 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post

I believe the two water holes at Sandy Point should be in play at present as well. Here's the finish of one:

That's a scary layup or 100% confident putt!

Niced: (2)
Old 08-05-2018, 12:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

nice! sounds like mountain man is my go to once I get up to the UP.

I only have time for two or three courses in WI. I plan to play the little tourney at rolling r. that is the second week of sept. After that it will be hit Highbridge and maybe Sandy too.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:03 PM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buiscutboy View Post
I disagree, I live in Marquette and have had no issues with biting flies. Though my area of experience is rather small.

There's also a Silver Creek in Marquette, but it's not very exciting. It is my home course though.

I'll second Powder Mill as a nice course.

I also recommend The Tailings in Iron River. It's a neat course on/near an old iron mine. Just don't throw anything in the old quarry ponds unless you're a professional rock climber.
Yeah, I didn't actually have any problems in Marquette, either. I meant more for the UP in general.

While you may not run into biting insects at all, the small investment (both monetarily and space-wise) makes a net a no-brainer. And in worst case scenarios it can turn a nightmare into something manageable.

I'm speaking more from backwoods multi-day backpacking experience than disc golf, but I imagine it's applicable to DG in the UP as well.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Got one. It is actually a hoodie that is all mesh and the hood pulls tight. Had to wear it once at night at flip on one of my adventures.

But really if it gets that bad I need to find something closer to water and wind.