Old 07-22-2019, 11:32 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 73
Niced 1,467 Times in 356 Posts
Default Red-green color blind accessibility.

A year or so ago a local TD who is awesome started using only white paint to mark OB lines and such, because he was made aware that red paint on green grass is invisible to players who have red-green color blindness.

This got me thinking of other things in disc golf which are coded to red and green, and how to improve accessibility for people who cannot (or cannot easily and quickly) distinguish the two. Red and green spotter flags, for example, would likely look the same. Would silk-screen printing some kind of icon onto the flags make them more usable? One idea could be a bold check mark on an in-bounds one, and an X on an out-of-bounds one.

How else could spotter flags be improved in this regard? Are there other icons which would work better and communicate the idea unequivocally and without using text?

What else in the game is coded red and green and could use improvement?
Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2019, 11:57 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31
Courses Played: 702
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,895 Times in 840 Posts

Maybe your TD read this in Appendix A of the PDGA's "How to Run a PDGA Tour Event"
"The best paint color for marking important lines such as OB boundaries is white, especially with a green grass background. Although most can see orange or pink on green, there are a surprising number of people with red-green colorblindness who cannot see pink or orange on green. Orange or other colors of paint are OK for tee lines as long as there are also flags identifying their location."

I've bought a variety of flags for course design from Blackburn with a variety of markings. At one point before 2010, the PDGA was selling white wire flags with OB printed on them.

Niced: (3)
Old 07-23-2019, 12:07 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 73
Niced 1,467 Times in 356 Posts

Much obliged, Chuck. How about spotter flags? We seem hell-bent on always using red and green. Is there a better color pair, or perhaps an icon representing "in" and "out" which can be silk-screened onto them?

For example, many puzzle video games which depend on aligning colored blocks to achieve a goal will also place unique symbols on each color too, so that red ones have squares, blue one circles, gold ones triangles, or some other such thing.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-23-2019, 12:27 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31
Courses Played: 702
Niced 1,895 Times in 840 Posts

Whatever the alternative, it would have to be a signaling mechanism that could be easily purchased at a place like Home Depot. Red, pink, orange and white seem to be the most common flag colors there with none I've seen with patterns on them. A practical answer in other sports is to come up with hand signals for spotters to where players can tell if they are in or out with palms down and arms out stretched typically meaning inbounds and arms up and crossed over the head or fists with thumbs pointing backwards meaning out.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:28 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 25
Niced 922 Times in 770 Posts

I have one time ran into a single person who was color blind during a tournament and my dad had used pink on the grass but had to get white at one point to fix this for a single OB spot that also had a low stake and rough non plastic twine through the loops on the stake. That rope was there to help with if the Dam had released water as that was a drain culvert, when water was high enough you played from the water but the original OB line does not get removed. Dad found that out the hard way earlier at a One day event a year before doing the South Dakota State Disc Golf Championships. Dad still did the one day event that year but had a fix for if Rain or Dam water release washed the paint on the grass. Also had the ropes with the paint to help keep people in the little box for the one mandatory spot on the course. Some people could cut through between a tall tree and the brush to the side and long putt from 60 feet for a 3 or 4 depending on skill where everyone else is a 4 or 5.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:36 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 35
Niced 701 Times in 358 Posts

You could also communicate with other players on the card.
Colorblind golfer: was that OB?
Non colorblind golfer: yes.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,868 Times in 1,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Whatever the alternative, it would have to be a signaling mechanism that could be easily purchased at a place like Home Depot. Red, pink, orange and white seem to be the most common flag colors there with none I've seen with patterns on them. A practical answer in other sports is to come up with hand signals for spotters to where players can tell if they are in or out with palms down and arms out stretched typically meaning inbounds and arms up and crossed over the head or fists with thumbs pointing backwards meaning out.
I suppose that, in most cases, spotters could display the flags on the whichever side of their body was towards or away from OB, as a secondary indication. It would be visible from a distance (USDGC), and intuitive. You wouldn't need to define a code of signals, just as red/green comes with stop/go history. A little tricky, maybe, where the OB line is perpendicular to the line of play. A bit like a baseball umpire who both signals and yells the call---2 simultaneous signals, everyone should get one or the other.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-23-2019, 07:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 88
Niced 2,021 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lines View Post
You can however, for cards of three you might need a card ruling on whether or not a disc is OB and if one of the remaining 2 can't see the line that makes the call much more difficult. Cost of white paint = cost of any other color paint.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:38 AM
Par Member

Niced 143 Times in 72 Posts

A simple circle or x on a flag would work, especially if they were in contrasting colors to the flag color. Blue circle on the green flag and yellow x on the red flag for example.

I'm red green colorblind and flags/OB lines are very annoying at times. I plan on bringing this up to the PDGA the next time they ask for suggestions.

I would advise against a check mark for an in bounds flag. If the flag isn't fully spread a check mark may look like an x. The curve of a circle contrast the straight lines of an x.

Last edited by LateWesternSky; 07-23-2019 at 07:40 AM.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:46 AM
Par Member

Niced 143 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lines View Post
That helps after I throw, but you being able to clearly see an OB line in the distance and me not knowing where the OB line is gives you an advantage.