Old 12-22-2019, 12:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.9
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 374 Times in 163 Posts
Default Should I Blow Up My Form and Start Over?

Hi everybody! I'm an old timer just recently interested in getting better again. I was satisfied with my game for years and years just to play for fun casually with my friends and call it good. Made it to 951 (albeit that was a very small sample size, probably more like 930) back in 2005-06 with a good short game and accurate but small drives, the story of my life. That was the last time I played in a sanctioned event. 1999-2000 was my tournament-playing heyday. I was all RHFH then. Hurt my elbow and it took over a decade to develop something serviceable from the backhand side. I'm accurate to about 300' but not much more. Prototypical old-guy-who-only-throws-280-but-can-hang-in-there type of player making some good putts and staying safe with lots of pars.

Enter YouTube, which I believe was invented the same year or so I last played seriously in Am-1.

...and enter all the good pro coverage we have today. I only discovered it as recently as last year and am HOOKED. I can't just sit here after watching so many hours of that without wanting to be good. I crave it.

I realize now after digging into Danny Lindahl and Simon Lizotte videos that I was strong-arming all these years, all upper body. Never even heard the term "power pocket" until last year.

This October or so I finally felt the hit that comes from the power pocket and I made some good progress before the snow started falling here. I'm not driving farther than I used to by much (I'll get 330' on my best good pulls), but it's way smoother and easier than even how I was throwing last year. My fastest Disc is a well-loved PFN Star Beast but most everything is speed 9 or slower. Not a fan of wide-rimmed newfangled stuff too much.

I'm not 50 yet and still in okay shape. The only thing I can't really do anymore is throw power forehands. I used up my quota on those as a young guy! I think if I tapped out my potential I could maybe, mayyyyybe touch 400' someday with a RHBH if I clean up everything? All of this stuff like "brace" and "the hit" are new concepts to think about for me.

My question is this. Would it be better to fix existing decades-old bad habits, or just blow it all up and head to the practice field with a stack of putters and do standstills, reworking it from the ground up?

I'm going to get my kids out there who are way better at technology and have them use their gadgets to film my throw one of these days. I realize it would be more helpful to have a video to make this determination.

My goal is to play well in the MA 40+ division this upcoming spring for a few tournaments, and if I do that maybe even get bold enough to see if I can hang in Am-1 like I did 20 years ago, especially since most of the MA 40+ tournaments are on Sundays around here and I work Sundays. (We used to call it "Am Masters.")

Looking forward to 2020 big time! I feel like a kid again!
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-22-2019, 01:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,400 Times in 916 Posts

Moving your rating upward is going to come from your short game. More practice, less playing for fun. Not my style, but that is why I suck, lol.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 573 Times in 246 Posts

I’ll tell you my story and it may help...
Started when I was 50, 2008, and improved fairly rapidly and was somewhat successful in my first 5 years or so. Putting lights out and very good short game. Recovery game was stellar.
Then I hit a wall around that 5-6 yr mark. Just couldn’t improve because my form was so broken.
So I started going to a baseball field, throwing, filming, submitting to technique forum, trying to fix things, throwing, filming, submitting...rinse and repeat...repeatedly for the last 5-6 years. I am not athletically gifted, but persistence helps.
Playing is a lot more fun for me now, I can throw distances that make me giggle.
If I could get my short game back and learn how to putt again, it’ll be even better.

What have I learned?
Rebuilding your form is not a quick fix.
It took way longer than I thought it would.
My progress was progressive. I had to build on things over time. Fix one thing before I could progress onto the next thing.
Having decent form makes your whole game better, because if you are able to throw a putter 300’, throwing it 250’ or 200’ is that much easier.
I’ll never be as good as PM, I have to be satisfied being as good as I can be (and that can take a lot of work).

Old 12-22-2019, 04:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,407 Times in 540 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
I’ll tell you my story and it may help...
Started when I was 50, 2008, and improved fairly rapidly and was somewhat successful in my first 5 years or so. Putting lights out and very good short game. Recovery game was stellar.
Then I hit a wall around that 5-6 yr mark. Just couldn’t improve because my form was so broken.
So I started going to a baseball field, throwing, filming, submitting to technique forum, trying to fix things, throwing, filming, submitting...rinse and repeat...repeatedly for the last 5-6 years. I am not athletically gifted, but persistence helps.
Playing is a lot more fun for me now, I can throw distances that make me giggle.
If I could get my short game back and learn how to putt again, it’ll be even better.

What have I learned?
Rebuilding your form is not a quick fix.
It took way longer than I thought it would.
My progress was progressive. I had to build on things over time. Fix one thing before I could progress onto the next thing.
Having decent form makes your whole game better, because if you are able to throw a putter 300’, throwing it 250’ or 200’ is that much easier.
I’ll never be as good as PM, I have to be satisfied being as good as I can be (and that can take a lot of work).
About 7 years ago (I'm 62) I changed my form to get longer and was somewhat successful. But like you said I lost my short, finesse game along with not as good putting. So I decided to go back to my old form and it's been much more fun for me and good for my game.

I'm throwing farther now than ever but that's mainly from smooth, good form and 150 class drivers. My short game and putting is back.

I think trading distance off for that was the best for my game.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-22-2019, 10:31 PM
Eagle Member

All sagacious advice, thank you. 2020 will be an adventure for me. I hope I never lose my putting. I enjoy that aspect of the game greatly.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:38 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 71
Niced 174 Times in 87 Posts

Go for it. Get the kids out there filming you. If you're healthy you should be able to figure out a way to hit 400. I think that's the sweet spot for scoring. Lots of par 3's these days are in the 360-420 foot range, and without a big arm you just can't get the birdie look you need to hang with good players.

Just remember, when you rebuild everything you will suck really badly for many months, and possibly the whole year. You have to commit to it, or don't bother.

Old 12-23-2019, 04:36 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 357 Times in 218 Posts

this is a good thread for me, a 55 yo with a very good short game and decent putting. I just can't drive for real distance. makes me want to keep enjoying my short game and not commit to rebuilding my form. I'm just not a goal oriented person, I guess kudos to those who are and want it, though. I just won't lay bets against you when we meet on the course....

Old 12-23-2019, 07:59 PM
Eagle Member

I shouldn't have trouble committing to it. My practice field is behind my house, and throwing Discs is an intrinsic happy activity for me. Maybe I don't enter tournaments while I take some steps backward at first. It's not like I'm all of a sudden missing out on that, haven't been in a sanctioned event since 2006.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 24
Niced 528 Times in 302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I shouldn't have trouble committing to it. My practice field is behind my house, and throwing Discs is an intrinsic happy activity for me. Maybe I don't enter tournaments while I take some steps backward at first. It's not like I'm all of a sudden missing out on that, haven't been in a sanctioned event since 2006.
I think the commitment to it is the key. I also think blowing it all up is the best way to go. trying to slowly piecemeal fix parts is a very slow process that in the end concludes with "I shoulda just blown it up and started over."

I have the advantage of having not had much ingrained when I (re)started. I can't really say I played 25 years ago since it was such a short attempt but starting over a few years ago and having the same horrible form but then the youtubes and this site helped.

I think my big advice is a do as I say not as I do. Practice film and tweak as much as possible. It seems the more committed someone is in their personal form thread the more committed SW22 is to helping. I have been bad about rarely filming and finding issues that are too obvious to need help to fix. But that being said... I know I am on the cusp of 400' (have been for a while) and though I want to throw farther, i'm in a place I generally outdistance all of the rest of the AM40 group. If I only had a good short game. My approach game has come along with my distance game, but putting is a bigger issue for me. I don't think driving and putting performance is mutually exclusive though.

Old 12-24-2019, 02:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

40+ 350-375 is fine, 50+ 300-350 is fine. Both divisions require a good short game to be competitive. I agree, if you're shooting for am1 you'll need a 400+ drive to take down some wins.