Old 02-06-2020, 09:35 AM

Courses Played: 2
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Building a 9 hole disc golf course!

Do you think it is possible to put a disc golf course on a wooded and hilly 6 acres lot?
if so do you think it should be a "putter only course?"
its mainly a private course that I would invite my friends to also, what do you think the average hole distance should be?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2020, 09:41 AM

Years Playing: 0.4
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjoseph View Post
Do you think it is possible to put a disc golf course on a wooded and hilly 6 acres lot?
its mainly a private course that I would invite my friends to also, what do you think the average hole distance should be?
I've never built a disc golf course but I've looked into similar things. So, I'll let others go into more detail about the golf part but you might want to post the shape of the lot. No 6 acre lot is the same. Just a thought.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-06-2020, 10:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 5
Niced 931 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Disc golf fits anywhere.. I know of two tight courses.. One is on maybe 2 acres and the other is maybe an acre. The 2 acre one has 3 decent holes for length but many are deuce or die. Lots of issues if there's more tha n one group they need about a 3 hole lead to avoid crossfire.

The 1 acre is called "partwoozie" it's putter only from multiple tees. Plays best in one big group rather than two. Almost every hole is some kind of back and forth.

Six acres is decent, I would be looking at an average length of 200'-300' and look carefully for places to put in long holes before throwing a lot of work or effort at hacking them out. I have a lot of 250-300' on my course, I have 14 acres but I didn't pack the holes together, I have four starting points for 18 and I can comfortably fit 100 players in groups of 6-8.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 02-06-2020 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:33 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 841
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 25 Times in 13 Posts

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3471 That's my private course, if your number of player is low its quite easy to make a well thought out course on small acreage. The pictures don't do it justice as they are from when the course was very new and some holes have been redesigned 3 or more times.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,902 Times in 1,646 Posts

Quote:
It should be whatever you want to play. You are your own main customer.

Though with some consideration of what the land gives you. It's tough to shoehorn one type of course into property best fitted for another.

If you don't expect a lot of people at one time, you have the freedom to have crossing or adjacent fairways, and find the best 9 holes the land offers.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:33 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.9
Courses Played: 373
Niced 1,821 Times in 898 Posts

Don't think of it as building "a" course. You'll be tweaking it and messing with the design forever. Just get some baskets and make setting up the course part of the game.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 427
Niced 932 Times in 317 Posts

Quote:
yes.
I'd design it to aspects you most enjoy most about disc golf. That way the everlasting build is an enjoyable journey.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,330 Times in 905 Posts

Already some great insight from a few private course owners here. Here is a thread that should provide some insight.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...xecuting+dream

Old 02-06-2020, 12:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 146
Niced 471 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Already some great insight from a few private course owners here. Here is a thread that should provide some insight.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...xecuting+dream
Every now and then I go back and read through the first year or two worth of posts on that thread. I always forget how nuts MorganWright and StevenFoster were in there.

It's a great read though, beginning to end, even despite those nutjobs. My story starts at post #396 (early 2014) and it's been a heck of an adventure so far.

Niced: (2)

Old 02-06-2020, 01:18 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 226
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 88 Times in 37 Posts

Yes indeed! You may even be able to sneak in many more than 9.

I have 13 holes in a 3ish acre heavily wooded and hilly area that I've been tweaking for about 5 years. Distances range from 150ft to 420ft (most holes probably around 250ft). My course has 6 baskets that get used twice (one 3 times) It starts clockwise for the first 7 and turns around counterclockwise for the last 6. For instance, if you have a good fairway/channel/gap etc going downhill, you may just have a pretty good line going right back uphill. 2 holes for the price of 1! It will definitely take some time and creativity but you definitely have plenty of room.

Niced: (1)