Old 05-12-2016, 07:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,740 Times in 1,169 Posts
Default ~400' BH and ~325' FH Help

It's been a while and I've made some changes, some are helping some are issues still.

This first video is BH. I have recently changed my grip (disc more in palm, deep flight plate grip rather than index/thumb pinch) and am fighting with nose issues depending on the day. I have focused on not dragging my left arm/side behind me during my throw. I thought I was getting it in/forward for the weight transfer, but apparently not. I am bringing my left arm forward but it is still away from my body, then seems to get out ahead of my axis during/after the throw.

The first 2 throws in this video are ~70% power with a mid and then fairway, the type of power I would use for ~300' on a mid and 330-350' for a fairway. The 3rd throw from the back view was ~400' with a mellow Destroyer.

I was having nose angle issues like I said today, but I felt good disc speed. My mids were going well. Drivers had good ejection speed, but I could see them stalling/braking at the end of flight and it was killing lots of distance. When I did get a Destroyer nose down enough to hold a turn the whole flight (hyzer flip to turn) and then fade forward at the end I got ~425', but nothing about the form/velocity felt different.

Possible issues:
-back arm too far away from body
-upper body leaking forward a bit...maybe get plant foot out farther?
-is hip/shoulder separation before transfer/shift ok?
-I started getting the disc closer to my chest after filming these shots and it felt better, I didn't include any of those though

FH form:
I have been maxing out my FH line drives with speed 10+ discs on flat/hyzer flip shots from 310-330' for a while. I am happy with my accuracy, consistency, and the relatively low impact of these shots. But I would like to add some distance finally.

This video I show 3 different power levels to see if stuff goes wacky at some point. First is a mellow putter flick, what I would use for up to 100-150' approach. Second is a Teebird at 60-70%. Third is a drive that is as hard as I want to throw a forehand, which will get me up to 330' on a rope.

I can see that I am staying on my rear instep rather than going up onto the toes, is this costing power/transfer? As well, is my spine tilting too much forward at the finish (shoulders drift too far forward)? Any obvious ways to get more velocity without killing my arm?

Sorry if the video player isn't quite as convenient.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2016, 01:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,851 Times in 1,195 Posts

BH - You are moving too much right to left on tee pad/too closed instead of striding straighter and turning further back. The rear arm is swinging your upper body/shoulders around instead of bracing straight into the front leg and anchoring your axis. When someone yells brace for impact - what do you instinctively do? You pull your arms and legs and head into your body(tighten your core) and make a stupid face(exhale).

FH - your elbow is leading too much and doesn't fully extend/release through.

Last edited by sidewinder22; 05-13-2016 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Excellent, thanks again. I think the shoulder turn back/load is a byproduct of me worrying about getting my rear arm "forward" again during the throw instead of dragging behind. Obviously there are issues. I will focus on getting my left shoulder blade at the target in the reach back (like I used to) and then try to get my left hand to my thigh...or actually grab my leg with it during the throw. I hope this keeps things tighter and also stops that forward drift afterwards.

The FH advice seems good, I wouldn't have picked up on that. I have noticed that pro's seem to get their FH snap "on" the disc and my hand is snapping later than theirs. I bet it's the leading elbow thing that causes me to miss this to line up. It feels like I release my forearm "at" the target and my wrist snap is sideways. When I see pro's their arm release is more sideways and the snap is happening at and just after disc ejection. For example this first shot of McBeth:

I know quite a few people who can power a FH farther than me, but I've never been jealous because I have decent consistency. But one guy I saw throw a FH 400-425' with little effort and that is what is making me realize I am missing something big. So this elbow thing I'll definitely try to sort out. Any advice on how it should "feel"?
Old 05-13-2016, 02:51 AM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 379 Times in 141 Posts

Bh: I'll try to screen cap it tomorrow when I'm not on a phone. Your shoulders aren't 90 from Your extended arm. Basically, you're not getting the disc deep enough into the power pocket. The extension is happening too soon, so that instead of getting hand on the outside at center chest - you're starting the extension already.

SW is better with the brace angles, but to my eyes - the balance and brace look good.

My concern would be to move the arc forward. Starting point more right pec, allowing the timing of the shoulder opening to sync up to the ejection.

If I'm looking at your film in the field, I'd want to see that 90 from shoulders to extended arm.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,851 Times in 1,195 Posts

Old 05-13-2016, 03:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
Bh: I'll try to screen cap it tomorrow when I'm not on a phone. Your shoulders aren't 90 from Your extended arm. Basically, you're not getting the disc deep enough into the power pocket. The extension is happening too soon, so that instead of getting hand on the outside at center chest - you're starting the extension already.

SW is better with the brace angles, but to my eyes - the balance and brace look good.

My concern would be to move the arc forward. Starting point more right pec, allowing the timing of the shoulder opening to sync up to the ejection.

If I'm looking at your film in the field, I'd want to see that 90 from shoulders to extended arm.
Thanks. I have some things to change so don't feel like you need to waste time marking up still shots.

I noticed I wasn't getting the far edge of the disc close enough to my sternum in the power pocket, after the last set that I filmed. I threw a few discs like that and crushed a Roc pretty good (the field I was throwing on has no markers before ~420' so I really have no idea how far because it was nowhere near that), but I was tired and inconsistent by then. I think getting my left side more compact to my body and getting the disc close to my sternum in the power pocket will change a few things with my timing and feel. But I'll keep in mind to experiment with when to open up and hopefully that ejection will line up with the shoulder swing. I know what you're getting at though.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:16 AM
* Ace Member *

@SW22 that makes sense. I used to swing a bat with a linear mechanic and I think that way of thinking has carried over to the FH throw...I'm getting to the snap point with what feels like added velocity and then snapping the hit point. Instead I have to power through the hit point while stacking levers. That drill seems great for getting the weight/timing to work for itself. I have to find something to swing and get that happening.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:45 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 379 Times in 141 Posts

You've always been a huge help around here - I'm happy to repay the favor... I'm sure you've got this worked out now, but I wanted to point this out:

Caps Left to Right:

1. Disc is swooping. I have had this habit myself and know it well... if you can keep the disc flat - good things happen.
2. Off arm, tighten it up. White line is the start of the extension, happening to soon. Blue line shows the adjusting swoop.
3. Off arm is slowing your shoulders, and the timing got off because the arc started too soon. shoulders started, then stopped.
4. Now the shoulders are left behind and your extension has your arm at maybe 120 degrees instead of 90.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:15 PM
* Ace Member *

@HUB
Thanks, I can see that it's almost like my left arm is coming forward, hitting and stopping, then dragging behind while just swinging through. Like sloshing water into the side of a bucket...it will rush forward then bounce back after. I just need to get that stupid arm in and down like McBeth does and hopefully it will tighten up my speed but more importantly keep my axis balanced and let me rotate through instead of drift/swing through with my left side.

The disc angle thing I was disappointed with too, I saw it in the video. I know that is an issue for me, but I believe it was even worse than my normal (not great) yesterday. I was having nose angle issues and trying all sorts of key turn and weird things to get the nose down. I thought I was angling the disc counterclockwise at reachback like Eagle and Jussi do, then going into handshake position with a flat disc. Instead I was doing that counterclockwise angle between reachback and power pocket. I'll work on that and getting my nose angles sorted. I feel like I had the arm speed for consistent 420' golf shots yesterday even with some of these issues, but the nose angle was eating most of them down to 380-400' instead.

It's all relatively small adjustments from here upwards, huh? But being small doesn't make them any less crucial or difficult.

@SW
You are so right about the elbow thing, thanks for pointing it out. I was stumped as to how I was missing 70'+ of "casual" power from the big guys. I haven't thrown a disc yet but just snapped some towels (there are 1000 ways to snap a towel but only a couple will make a disc fly...I am aware), but I can tell my elbow forward way was to get my arm up to speed then crack that whip (the disc) to eject at the target. Keeping my elbow/arm more as a unit it feels more like my baseball swing and my arm wants to finish around to my side. I power through with the towel to snap it, and it feels at least as powerful. But more importantly it feels like body mechanics will add power when I get it sorted out...I was already feeling almost capped out with what I was doing which is why I wanted help.

I'm not looking forward to losing consistency with the FH temporarily, but I can tell the mechanics will be better. I just hope it won't be too painful a transition heh

Old 05-14-2016, 11:33 PM
* Ace Member *

I haven't had a field work session yet, but I played a casual round today with some extra tee shots, and tried to work on a couple things.

SW22 mentioned I am too closed and right to left in my strides. I tried to be a bit more mellow with my steps and keep my left arm in. On power shots I was releasing ~10 degrees right, so basically just how I was throwing before (but now "off" aim). Obviously I need some field work to figure out my release angles with the strides. But, do you think I am opening up/starting the shoulder portion too early as HUB mentioned, which is causing my releases to go a bit right and why I have gone to too closed of a stride?