Old 05-16-2018, 03:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 191 Times in 106 Posts
Default Device-Assisted Division: Can of worms?

I have an upcoming, unsanctioned tournament for which a wheelchair bound competitor has registered. I ran a previous unsanctioned tournament and he was in my group. This is a great guy and I was honestly happy to see that he registered. I'd like to create a division for him and maybe encourage other competitors with disabilities to register in the future. On the other hand, I'm not looking forward to having any local courses shut down over accessibility issues. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2018, 09:07 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 44.2
Courses Played: 311
Niced 940 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
I have an upcoming, unsanctioned tournament for which a wheelchair bound competitor has registered. I ran a previous unsanctioned tournament and he was in my group. This is a great guy and I was honestly happy to see that he registered. I'd like to create a division for him and maybe encourage other competitors with disabilities to register in the future. On the other hand, I'm not looking forward to having any local courses shut down over accessibility issues. Thoughts?
Just make divisions by ratings.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 85
Niced 191 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Just make divisions by ratings.
What is his rating?

Since neither of us knows it, what do you think about a Device-assisted division?
Old 05-16-2018, 09:47 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 1
Niced 624 Times in 357 Posts

What about a post hernia surgery division.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:01 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.9
Courses Played: 37
Niced 165 Times in 104 Posts

Whatever division you think he should be in.
I need a mobility device to get through the course, though I can walk short distances to lies and tees. I also sometimes end up with a falling putt (literally) because using my cane for balance is also against the rules. So I'll never play sanctioned again, and I'm okay with that.
Fundraiser tournaments and weekly doubles, it's enough that people let me play. I hate getting special privileges that I don't actually need, so my own division would do more harm than good.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 209
Niced 1,312 Times in 890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreemCheese View Post
I need a mobility device to get through the course, though I can walk short distances to lies and tees. I also sometimes end up with a falling putt (literally) because using my cane for balance is also against the rules. So I'll never play sanctioned again, and I'm okay with that.
Fundraiser tournaments and weekly doubles, it's enough that people let me play. I hate getting special privileges that I don't actually need, so my own division would do more harm than good.
I would think a cane would be considered a legal medical device in your case.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:08 AM
Par Delusionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I would think a cane would be considered a legal medical device in your case.
It is. So is any other medical device for mobility. It is considered a supporting point, just like a shoe.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:17 AM
Par Delusionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
What is his rating?

Since neither of us knows it, what do you think about a Device-assisted division?
My point is, just assign the division based on the score you think he'll get - just like you would anyone else. Perhaps he's not going to get the highest score in the tournament, or maybe he is. Doesn't matter. Somebody gets the highest score in every tournament. That doesn't separate them from the rest of their division.

If you tried to make a device-assisted division, you'd then need to split out the local Pro who has a walking cast from the junior beginner in a wheelchair. You would do that by how well they are expected to score anyway. So, just start with expected scores.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:48 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 45 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreemCheese View Post
I understand not wanting special privileges, but getting a waiver or something that allows you to place a cane on the ground to keep you from falling over isn't a special privilege it is basic human decency.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:55 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 45 Times in 29 Posts

Stupid 5 minute edit thing..... sometimes you have an afterthought.......

Maybe something that cancels the "must maintain balance" part of the rule inside the circle as long as only your cane is past the marker. Then again I believe in playing by the "spirit" of a rule more than the "letter" of a rule. I can tell the difference between someone using a cane to keep from falling over and someone who is obviously trying to circumvent the rules.