#1  
Old 05-16-2018, 03:48 PM
Doofenshmirtz's Avatar
Doofenshmirtz Doofenshmirtz is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 833
Niced 198 Times in 108 Posts
Default Device-Assisted Division: Can of worms?

I have an upcoming, unsanctioned tournament for which a wheelchair bound competitor has registered. I ran a previous unsanctioned tournament and he was in my group. This is a great guy and I was honestly happy to see that he registered. I'd like to create a division for him and maybe encourage other competitors with disabilities to register in the future. On the other hand, I'm not looking forward to having any local courses shut down over accessibility issues. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-16-2018, 09:07 PM
Steve West Steve West is offline
Par Delusionary
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Years Playing: 44.4
Courses Played: 322
Posts: 4,279
Niced 1,039 Times in 546 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
I have an upcoming, unsanctioned tournament for which a wheelchair bound competitor has registered. I ran a previous unsanctioned tournament and he was in my group. This is a great guy and I was honestly happy to see that he registered. I'd like to create a division for him and maybe encourage other competitors with disabilities to register in the future. On the other hand, I'm not looking forward to having any local courses shut down over accessibility issues. Thoughts?
Just make divisions by ratings.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-16-2018, 09:24 PM
Doofenshmirtz's Avatar
Doofenshmirtz Doofenshmirtz is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 833
Niced 198 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Just make divisions by ratings.
What is his rating?

Since neither of us knows it, what do you think about a Device-assisted division?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-16-2018, 09:47 PM
Halcón's Avatar
Halcón Halcón is online now
Free at Last
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 11,620
Niced 779 Times in 416 Posts
Default

What about a post hernia surgery division.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-17-2018, 12:01 AM
CreemCheese's Avatar
CreemCheese CreemCheese is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Findlay, OH
Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 975
Niced 182 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Whatever division you think he should be in.
I need a mobility device to get through the course, though I can walk short distances to lies and tees. I also sometimes end up with a falling putt (literally) because using my cane for balance is also against the rules. So I'll never play sanctioned again, and I'm okay with that.
Fundraiser tournaments and weekly doubles, it's enough that people let me play. I hate getting special privileges that I don't actually need, so my own division would do more harm than good.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-17-2018, 12:37 AM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 215
Posts: 13,304
Niced 1,627 Times in 1,067 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreemCheese View Post
Whatever division you think he should be in.
I need a mobility device to get through the course, though I can walk short distances to lies and tees. I also sometimes end up with a falling putt (literally) because using my cane for balance is also against the rules. So I'll never play sanctioned again, and I'm okay with that.
Fundraiser tournaments and weekly doubles, it's enough that people let me play. I hate getting special privileges that I don't actually need, so my own division would do more harm than good.
I would think a cane would be considered a legal medical device in your case.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-17-2018, 09:08 AM
Steve West Steve West is offline
Par Delusionary
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Years Playing: 44.4
Courses Played: 322
Posts: 4,279
Niced 1,039 Times in 546 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I would think a cane would be considered a legal medical device in your case.
It is. So is any other medical device for mobility. It is considered a supporting point, just like a shoe.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-17-2018, 09:17 AM
Steve West Steve West is offline
Par Delusionary
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Years Playing: 44.4
Courses Played: 322
Posts: 4,279
Niced 1,039 Times in 546 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
What is his rating?

Since neither of us knows it, what do you think about a Device-assisted division?
My point is, just assign the division based on the score you think he'll get - just like you would anyone else. Perhaps he's not going to get the highest score in the tournament, or maybe he is. Doesn't matter. Somebody gets the highest score in every tournament. That doesn't separate them from the rest of their division.

If you tried to make a device-assisted division, you'd then need to split out the local Pro who has a walking cast from the junior beginner in a wheelchair. You would do that by how well they are expected to score anyway. So, just start with expected scores.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-06-2018, 04:48 AM
mrtho mrtho is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lamar,Ar
Courses Played: 10
Posts: 155
Niced 45 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreemCheese View Post
Whatever division you think he should be in.
I need a mobility device to get through the course, though I can walk short distances to lies and tees. I also sometimes end up with a falling putt (literally) because using my cane for balance is also against the rules. So I'll never play sanctioned again, and I'm okay with that.
Fundraiser tournaments and weekly doubles, it's enough that people let me play. I hate getting special privileges that I don't actually need, so my own division would do more harm than good.
I understand not wanting special privileges, but getting a waiver or something that allows you to place a cane on the ground to keep you from falling over isn't a special privilege it is basic human decency.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 06-06-2018, 04:55 AM
mrtho mrtho is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lamar,Ar
Courses Played: 10
Posts: 155
Niced 45 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Stupid 5 minute edit thing..... sometimes you have an afterthought.......


Maybe something that cancels the "must maintain balance" part of the rule inside the circle as long as only your cane is past the marker. Then again I believe in playing by the "spirit" of a rule more than the "letter" of a rule. I can tell the difference between someone using a cane to keep from falling over and someone who is obviously trying to circumvent the rules.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.