Old 06-27-2016, 03:53 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 20 Times in 16 Posts

I did play Hobbs on a weekday so I did not see the park on a busy weekend. I hope the relationship with the church stays strong. It was so nice of them to allow the use of their space. If I have the honor to make it back there I will use a rest room along the way and continue to park by hole 1. I liked it as a lefty
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2016, 05:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 137
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1

Played Hobbs over the weekend. Great course. As long as there are bathrooms I don't really care where they are located. In my review I called it the best overall course of the 109 I've played.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.5
Courses Played: 103
Niced 72 Times in 44 Posts

Mr Houck,

I'm curious if you have ever had to deal with complaints from residents that live bordering a DG course. Maybe they have a big house with really nice backyard and they have complained about a disc golf hole that is near the backyard, even though it's on public park property. Do you have any suggestions with how to be proactive in dealing with these issues, or ways to add trees or shrubs to create a visual barrier? Thanks!

My thought (on being proactive) is before the baskets are installed - let the residents know what is coming and give them all of the information about the sport so they are not surprised by it.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:02 AM
.:Master Course Designer:.

Years Playing: 41.6
Niced 20 Times in 5 Posts

Hi, everybody.

We will be hosting our ABCD (The Art and Business of Course Design) workshop on Saturday, August 12, 2017 in Lake Tahoe. If anyone is interested in attending, please email us for details: contact@houckdesign.

I know it's short notice, but we'd love to see you there. We are discounting this one from $295 to $225 to make it more attractive. The workshop will run from 8:00 am until 6:30 pm.

We've had a great response from people who have attended these workshops in other parts of the country. You can read the topics and see testimonials at http://www.houckdesign.com/HDW_IDGC_02-2016.php
Old 08-02-2017, 01:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 249
Niced 511 Times in 312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhouck View Post
Hi, everybody.

We will be hosting our ABCD (The Art and Business of Course Design) workshop on Saturday, August 12, 2017 in Lake Tahoe. If anyone is interested in attending, please email us for details: contact@houckdesign.

I know it's short notice, but we'd love to see you there. We are discounting this one from $295 to $225 to make it more attractive. The workshop will run from 8:00 am until 6:30 pm.

We've had a great response from people who have attended these workshops in other parts of the country. You can read the topics and see testimonials at http://www.houckdesign.com/HDW_IDGC_02-2016.php
Are DVD's or videos from some of these workshops available?
Old 08-04-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Are DVD's or videos from some of these workshops available?
No, Dwayne, there are none at this point. While there is a lot of teaching during the workshop, the majority of the time is actually spent in exercises and presentations where the participants work together to find creative solutions to a variety of challenges and then show the group what they've come up with. At some point, we may make videos of some parts of the "lecture" portions, but you really need to be there to get the whole experience. Hope you'll get to join us at one someday.

Here's the latest info on next week:

http://houckdesign.com/HDW_SouthLakeTahoe_08-2017.php
Old 08-04-2017, 11:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 249
Niced 511 Times in 312 Posts

Thanks for replying.

Thanks even more for your courses and perhaps most importantly, sharing your knowledge and perspective on course & hole design with others!
Old 08-05-2017, 03:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 169
Niced 146 Times in 75 Posts
Send a message via AIM to New013

John, what are your thoughts about leaving numerous small trees in the middle of the fairway right before the basket on holes that are 320' plus? Particularly cases where the trees are within 5' of the basket or not visible from the tee.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:52 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's a direct link to the Tahoe workshop next week:

http://www.houckdesign.com/HDW_South...oe_08-2017.php

Old 08-26-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
John, what are your thoughts about leaving numerous small trees in the middle of the fairway right before the basket on holes that are 320' plus? Particularly cases where the trees are within 5' of the basket or not visible from the tee.
Enos, I'm on the record as being very opposed to small trees as obstacles any time, unless they're working with other trees to create wider obstacles. (In other words, if they're placed right, 4-5 small trees can function the same as one big tree would.) The reason is that thin obstacles add to randomness, and two virtually identical shots can have very different outcomes. Plus the fact that a bad shot can miss the skinny obstacles and get rewarded.

Now you're adding 3 more potential design issues:

1. Being 300'+ from the tee. Anything closer to the basket requires greater skill to avoid off the tee -- obviously an obstacle 100' away is easier to avoid than the same obstacle would be 300' away. At some point it becomes more about luck than skill. You can certainly have a tree 300' from the tee, but you need to make sure it's fair.

2. Being 5' from the basket. I know a lot of people think you should never have a tree inside the circle, but I don't subscribe to that edict. I don't believe I've ever put a basket 5' from a tree, but I believe there are ways to do it and be fair. In addition to random results, my concern is always that anything near the basket can stop a bad shot and reward it with a short putt.

3. Being invisible from the tee. That just adds an additional layer of responsibility on the designer to keep it fair.

Bottom line for me is to keep it fair, reduce randomness, and reward good shots (and not bad shots) as much as possible. Here's one yardstick I find helpful: if it leaves your hand and you really feel like it's a good shot, but you have to hold your breath to find out what happens, it's probably not a great hole.

Hope that helps a little.