Old 09-26-2020, 05:37 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,136 Times in 443 Posts

I picked up a diamond wizard today in theory as a throwing putter to supplement the Zone. We’ll see.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-26-2020, 05:54 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

It's not very visible in the photo, but there's some warping going on. That's the main reason I'd want to replace it and relegate this to practice. I also have difficulty getting a consistently clean release when putting. The release issues would be why I'd consider switching molds. As much as I like the feel, if that hand feel doesn't translate into a clean, consistent release, it's for naught.

Fall 2007 is the absolute newest it can possibly be, since I know I used it while I was in college. 04-07 is probably more accurate. In any event, if the mold is the same, what era isn't too important.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:05 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,136 Times in 443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
It's not very visible in the photo, but there's some warping going on. That's the main reason I'd want to replace it and relegate this to practice. I also have difficulty getting a consistently clean release when putting. The release issues would be why I'd consider switching molds. As much as I like the feel, if that hand feel doesn't translate into a clean, consistent release, it's for naught.

Fall 2007 is the absolute newest it can possibly be, since I know I used it while I was in college. 04-07 is probably more accurate. In any event, if the mold is the same, what era isn't too important.
Nice username!

Old 09-26-2020, 07:33 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.9
Courses Played: 138
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,682 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:

I have a 2007 stamped disc with the previous tooling so I use 2008 as the general date for the tooling change, but it's not like everyone waits for calendar years to roll over to make any changes. They easily could have changed that in 2007 sometime.

The red one in this picture is the same era; easily my favorite driving Wizard.

Warlocks were my fix to release issues with the Wizard, although Voodoo's can do the same. Warlock have more of an Aviar-shaped beadless wing while the Voodoo has the same shape wing as a Wizard, just with a smaller bead. Both of those could improve the issue with release.

Old 09-26-2020, 08:33 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
The red one in this picture is the same era; easily my favorite driving Wizard.
Mine drives like butter. No flip, almost no fade at this stage of wear, just absolutely straight for 275-290 feet wherever it's thown.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 630 Times in 413 Posts

Quote:
I also don't like discs that have such massive variance between runs and plastics, so I don't know if I want to stick with Wizards at all.
I recently switched back to wizards from judges and daggers. However, if you would prefer consistency I'd probably recommend either the judge for shallow or the dagger for deep. The classic/zero hard plastic will probably feel similar to what you have there.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 505 Times in 268 Posts

I picked up a matching pair of superglows over the weekend. Good lord these are awesome. Somewhere around “S” firmness, super flat and grippy with a medium-low shoulder. They are amazing putters out of the box.

There are so many great Wizard plastics out right now, I have a hard time figuring out what to bag. My old medium always has a spot on lockdown for long/jump putts and approaches but I’ve been switching up the Circle-1 wizards a lot.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:09 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 220
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,651 Times in 854 Posts

Nothing wrong with switching it up. They all putt like Wizards. I putt Fossil or ER-25 in the winter and G9i the rest of the time. The extra grip of the Eraser helps in the cold, and the flex they do have isn't as apparent when it's cold.