Hot...gummy...plastics...
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2020, 10:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 630 Times in 413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondZ View Post
Is this a recommended way to help increase grip, or are there too many downsides like warping or reducing stability of the discs? In other words, is storing them in a hot car a mistake or an actual technique to change the characteristics of the disc positively?
I would not recommend it. I would not recommend heating discs to make them grippy at all, but if you wanted to try as an experiment, float a disc in some sub-boiling water in a pan. Also, sometimes the buildup of scuffs from playing with a champ disc makes them feel a lot better in hand, possibly improving grip due to increased surface area.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:14 AM

Years Playing: 26.5
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
Occasionally Innova makes discs in gummy champion plastic.
Old thread about xg
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=105314
Yeah, I have a gummy champ Valkyrie that's filthy pliable.

I got it from the Innova store, it's labeled U 166

It's orange and looks just like Champion orange should look.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:49 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,213 Times in 1,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Don't put them in direct sunlight. Don't leave them strewn willy-nilly around where they sit at uneven angles or have weight on top of them. Stuff like that are the no-no's that will make them warp/bleach the colors/etc. Stored upright on edge in your bag or in a box in the trunk or covered in a back seat will heat them up and make them feel softer and sometimes tackier when you pull them out of the car; I've never done it long-term to know if the disc will permanently change or if they just revert back when they cool down. The only reason I've ever done this is because I played after work with no time to go home first, so my discs de facto sat in my bag covered in the hot car all summer.
I had a Cousin who purposely let a Champion Ryhno out for his putting putter in his car all summer to have a putter that is gummy so he can use it for putting. This disc is now nearly as floppy as Supreme plastic that Ching a defuncted side brand of Innova used for the Juju.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:26 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 333
Niced 4,804 Times in 2,082 Posts

As far as storing discs in your car goes...

My discs stand upright in my bag, and about the only time my bag ever leaves the car is when I play. My car is garaged at home, but during weekdays, it's outside in the elements all day, every day for years, in everything from sub zero to 100degree temps.

Never had a disc suddenly change its flight pattern due to weather.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
As far as storing discs in your car goes...

My discs stand upright in my bag, and about the only time my bag ever leaves the car is when I play. My car is garaged at home, but during weekdays, it's outside in the elements all day, every day for years, in everything from sub zero to 100degree temps.

Never had a disc suddenly change its flight pattern due to weather.
Me either however I did have a Putt'r in soft X go from a micro indent to mini on top of disc due to leaving in a car at one point. Putt'r at micro indent top was a 3 in glide and the mini indent top was a 2 in glide and I eventually gave the disc away to a player who used them only once broken in like mine was with a Spin for glide and power type putt she was really good at.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:19 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.9
Courses Played: 138
Niced 3,682 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
I had a Cousin who purposely let a Champion Ryhno out for his putting putter in his car all summer to have a putter that is gummy so he can use it for putting. This disc is now nearly as floppy as Supreme plastic that Ching a defuncted side brand of Innova used for the Juju.
Anecdotally I've had people tell me that they did this and it worked yada yada yada. I've never personally done it, and in the cases where people said they had done it I didn't know exactly the deal i.e. was the disc already sorta gummy before they started, did they leave it directly in the sun, etc. Since I'm short on facts, all I'm willing to commit to is the "some people say" Fox News version of this particular technique.

I mean, this is the Interwebz; I don't want to get caught spreading some stupid rumor like it's a fact.

Old 10-10-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Anecdotally I've had people tell me that they did this and it worked yada yada yada. I've never personally done it, and in the cases where people said they had done it I didn't know exactly the deal i.e. was the disc already sorta gummy before they started, did they leave it directly in the sun, etc. Since I'm short on facts, all I'm willing to commit to is the "some people say" Fox News version of this particular technique.

I mean, this is the Interwebz; I don't want to get caught spreading some stupid rumor like it's a fact.
He told me it was in the car, it was the Standard Stiff almost if not just stiff enough to be called Jolly Launcher Champion Rhyno to start with the odd mini Dome inside the thumbtrack to the mold. All later runs of Champion Rhyno's from what I have seen are all like this after sometime in late 2000's. His is either an early flight number disc or just before flight number version as he had the disc in 2017 at a Family event. The Cousin was trying to replicate the Supreame type plastic He saw my dads main putter a Juju in but not a Juju disc, the cousin never liked the thumb grips when he tried my dads putter. Also so he would only need one putter for driving and putting/approach, a dumb move in my mind. I say he needed at least two of the same disc in same plastic and hot car them so if you lose one driving he is not up a creak without a putter in the bag.