Old 10-10-2020, 08:57 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 205
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 270 Times in 134 Posts

Getting back to the commentary ...

Nate is doing a great job! For those of you not watching, they are using him as kind of the studio analyst, I know, everyone is in a "studio", but Nate is not doing the play-by-play, he's watching, updating on hot scores, doing some post round interviews and chiming in occasionally. His insights on the course and experience (along with Philo's) are great to have.

Such as this gem: "#14 Green is diabolical, putting an elevated basket on a sloping green. Because, on putts that miss, they have longer to fall to the ground, increasing chances they will come down on an edge and roll away."
Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2020, 11:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,658 Times in 936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmay5 View Post

Nate is doing a great job! For those of you not watching, they are using him as kind of the studio analyst, I know, everyone is in a "studio", but Nate is not doing the play-by-play, he's watching, updating on hot scores, doing some post round interviews and chiming in occasionally. His insights on the course and experience (along with Philo's) are great to have.

Such as this gem: "#14 Green is diabolical, putting an elevated basket on a sloping green. Because, on putts that miss, they have longer to fall to the ground, increasing chances they will come down on an edge and roll away."
I'm a huge Nate fan, player and commentator. I would really love it if his family time allowed him to do more commentary. But he is a good parent and prioritizes his daughter.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:43 AM
* Ace Member *

No rain... And it looks like if it comes it will be later.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 62
Niced 176 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Dickerson's definitely put himself in the cat bird seat, and he's demonstrated an ability to finish strong.

Unfortunately, the weather looks like it's gonna play a role. Assuming it gets played to completion, conditions could make it very tough for Eagle, and perhaps Klein, to gain strokes. Could come down to how well each player handles the elements, mentally and and in terms of execution.
I think the weather makes it more likely that someone can catch him. More variables = more variation.

That said, Dickerson has a ton of experience playing in the rain.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Does anyone know if Korver still plays? Her thinking about angles and elevation is really tight. So either she has a great long-term memory from her playing time or she is still playing and thinking.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P. View Post
I think the weather makes it more likely that someone can catch him. More variables = more variation.

That said, Dickerson has a ton of experience playing in the rain.
Does it rain a lot where he resides or have you just seen him in a lot of rain settings? Curious. Managing rain is a skill!
Old 10-10-2020, 12:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 62
Niced 176 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
Does it rain a lot where he resides or have you just seen him in a lot of rain settings? Curious. Managing rain is a skill!
I've seen him play once in the rain, and it was in the woods too. He was very deliberate in his approach. Drying his discs frequently, being methodical, etc. That's kind of his M.O. to begin with, but it remained the same in the rain. I can't find the vid right now.

He also plays in a ton of tournament in the Southeast, especially the Appalachian's, where the rain will just sit on the mountains for a weekend. I'm inferring a little bit from that, but my guess is that he has played tourneys where it rains during multiple rounds, so he's learned how to make the adjustments in rain. That's an educated guess (emphasis on the guess). He also just plays a ton of tournaments period, so he definitely has more experience playing in the rain than most people.

I'm not saying he's any better in the rain than the guys chasing him, but if I had to take one guy to play a solid round in the rain, it'd be him.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-10-2020, 12:11 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.9
Courses Played: 138
Niced 3,682 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Does anyone know if Korver still plays? Her thinking about angles and elevation is really tight. So either she has a great long-term memory from her playing time or she is still playing and thinking.
I think the whole "she quit playing" storyline is a bit of a myth. It's been 15 years since she played regularly in competitive events, went to World's, etc. Since then she shows up in event results once or twice a year most years. A lot of times it is for the disc golf portion of the WFDF events. This year she played in the Memorial; she won Pro Masters by 11 strokes.

Obviously she stopped playing competitive disc golf as a touring pro, but she shows up in sanctioned events just often enough that you have to assume she still plays. A lot of the time when I hear her name mentioned, it's a story where you hit 2006 and she becomes a ghost. She's played in an awful lot of sanctioned events recently for a ghost.

Old 10-10-2020, 12:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 180
Niced 1,573 Times in 613 Posts

Quote:
Limestone, TN averages 43 inches of rain per year.

Old 10-10-2020, 12:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 78
Niced 947 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmay5 View Post

He’s been a highlight for sure. I enjoy his insight as a recent champion, and he’s intelligent with a dry, witty delivery. Natural talent for broadcasting.

Philo and Ian are doing a fine job. My one critique would be for Philo to spare us the Schwarzenegger impression. On Thursday it gave me a chuckle, yesterday it was more than enough.