Old 10-01-2020, 02:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 83
Niced 328 Times in 221 Posts

I ordered an Opto at 158g. After fondling it and thinking about what else I might have in my stash that's close to it, I guessed with a 173g champ x-out patent num Orc that's pretty new and a kinda beat VIP air Sword at 156g and a new VIP air Sword at 158g. I LOVE air Swords btw, they are gold. After hitting the field I can confirm, the Opto Sapphire is almost a dead ringer for a broken in Air Sword with a slightly easier to grip rim due to speed 10 vs. speed 12. The brand new 158g air Sword was a full tick more overstable and held a forehand better that the Sword. Not surprising given the speed difference. The Orc was closer to the new air Sword and felt a bit OS and I have to crank on it a bit to keep it flat. I fully expect the "heavy" opto Sapphire to work into something magical as the new gets knocked off. Going straight into my bag in the stable BH distance slot on non-windy days. For reference I throw 300 feet backhand and forehand. Cheers. Rejoice this is the golden age.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2020, 03:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 978 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by august dupree View Post
I ordered an Opto at 158g. After fondling it and thinking about what else I might have in my stash that's close to it, I guessed with a 173g champ x-out patent num Orc that's pretty new and a kinda beat VIP air Sword at 156g and a new VIP air Sword at 158g. I LOVE air Swords btw, they are gold. After hitting the field I can confirm, the Opto Sapphire is almost a dead ringer for a broken in Air Sword with a slightly easier to grip rim due to speed 10 vs. speed 12. The brand new 158g air Sword was a full tick more overstable and held a forehand better that the Sword. Not surprising given the speed difference. The Orc was closer to the new air Sword and felt a bit OS and I have to crank on it a bit to keep it flat. I fully expect the "heavy" opto Sapphire to work into something magical as the new gets knocked off. Going straight into my bag in the stable BH distance slot on non-windy days. For reference I throw 300 feet backhand and forehand. Cheers. Rejoice this is the golden age.
Flight-wise, I didn't find the Orc or Sword to be very similar to the Sapphire. Swords are flippy, and the Sapphire really isn't. Throwing only 300', you won't really any flex out of the Sapphire. It'll probably fly pretty beefy in fact. I figure you need about 400' power to really turn it.

At high speed the Sword will be flipping HARD, while the Sapphire will stay pretty steady.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-01-2020, 08:37 AM
Par Member

Niced 55 Times in 43 Posts

Yeah as I said earlier, I think you have one of those unicorn Sapphires that is pretty high speed stable. All 6 of mine turned rather easily at 350 feet of power.

I still need to throw that white Opto Burst one I ordered and received.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:47 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 199 Times in 99 Posts

My gold line sapphire is pretty true to it's numbers at 350'ish power. The only time I see it being super-flippy is in monster headwinds or if I roll my wrist. A flat or slight hyzer release it's a pretty nice flier!
Old 10-02-2020, 02:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 83
Niced 328 Times in 221 Posts

VIP Air swords really aren't that flippy at all if you've ever tried one. They are a bit different than the regular TP or VIP. The Sapphire flies a lot like them for me, but with a smaller rim and therefore a bit easier to control.

The Goldline Sapphire I ordered from MS came in today and I took the pair out to the field to compare. Wow the Gold is AMAZING and I do get a bit of turn if I hit it right. The Gold/Opto pairing pretty much feels like it is right in my sweet spot for everyday backhand distance drives. Right out of the gate, they are pretty much some of the longest discs I've ever thrown. They just go and go and go. In the more understable distance slot, I've really been loving the Mint Freetail. Now I'm excited!
Old 10-11-2020, 03:03 PM
Par Member

Niced 55 Times in 43 Posts

Brought all my Sapphires to a field session today (4 x-outs, 1 white opto, 2 first runs) with two buddies while we were recording and analyzing driving forms. One buddy had his own 1st run Sapphire as well.

They are more stable than I initially gave them credit for, but still have some relatively easy flip if thrown hard and flat. They won't flip up to a turn on a hyzer flip, unless in a big headwind, and they'll hold an anhyzer most of the way while still fading out slightly at the end. 10/6/-1.5/2.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:23 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 395 Times in 225 Posts

Because of all of the positive comments about the Sapphire I recently picked one up just to try.

It pretty much made my bag after one round.

I am not a big arm type of guy and typically max out around 350’ on a good drive.

The Sapphire really does offer surprisingly easy distance without having to really crank on it.

I typically don’t throw discs this light and haven’t had a chance to see how they hold up in any sort of wind but on a calm day they are really long and very predictable.

Mine really skips when it hits the ground. It kind of surprised me at first but now I just make sure to account for it.

Mine is the gold line plastic which has always been my favorite Lattitude plastic for its excellent feel and grip.

I hope someday they release this mold in heavier weights like they did with the Diamond.

Old 10-13-2020, 01:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 978 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Because of all of the positive comments about the Sapphire I recently picked one up just to try.

It pretty much made my bag after one round.

I am not a big arm type of guy and typically max out around 350’ on a good drive.

The Sapphire really does offer surprisingly easy distance without having to really crank on it.

I typically don’t throw discs this light and haven’t had a chance to see how they hold up in any sort of wind but on a calm day they are really long and very predictable.

Mine really skips when it hits the ground. It kind of surprised me at first but now I just make sure to account for it.

Mine is the gold line plastic which has always been my favorite Latitude plastic for its excellent feel and grip.

I hope someday they release this mold in heavier weights like they did with the Diamond.

I agree. The Sapphire will get downrange easily with a fairly average toss. What I really like about it though is that it'll also give you another 40' or so if you really lay into it hard. The Sapphire is that rare disc that flies well without flipping no matter how hard you throw it.

I very seldom have patience for lightweight drivers. The Sapphire bucks that trend.

Niced: (1)