Old 10-13-2020, 01:53 AM
Par Member

Niced 27 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Waves are by far the most lost MVP disc I encounter. I've found no fewer than a dozen.

I've thrown a few good Waves, but mostly I find them too flat, flippy, and glideless to be of much use.
Any recommendations of slightly less flippy and more glide?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2020, 10:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 845 Times in 512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erknjerk View Post

I tried that journey and didn't find a gyro solution. Photon flies more like a flat Star Wraith, which is a huge stability jump up from a Wave. Defy is supposed to fly like a beat in Photon, but in my experience it is another Wraith clone just with a bit dumpier of a fade. So clearly it is not filling the gap either.

Same manufacturer but non-gyro: I've heard good things about the Streamline Trace, and that it can basically be your beefier Wave. If I was committed to an all MVP/Axiom/Streamline bag, I would definitely be giving the Trace a really long look to slide between a Photon and Plasma Wave (Plasma is by far the best Wave plastic).

However, I personally decided to move on from the Wave this year and found the Dynamic Discs Trespass to be a great replacement. A Trespass starts off a bit more stable and glidier than a Wave, and beats in nicely to a Wave-like stability. There are also certain plastics (Lucid-X, Moonshine) that are intentionally overstable so it's a mold that for me can cover the full stability spectrum. I will say that guys that throw over 400' typically wish the Trespass had a little more stability, but I'm not that powerful of a thrower.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-13-2020, 10:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,436 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:

Limited experience so far, but I bag 2 waves. A 165 plasma and a 162 Cosmic Neutron. The CN is far less flippy than the plasma, while still flying just as far.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:17 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
I tried that journey and didn't find a gyro solution. Photon flies more like a flat Star Wraith, which is a huge stability jump up from a Wave. Defy is supposed to fly like a beat in Photon, but in my experience it is another Wraith clone just with a bit dumpier of a fade. So clearly it is not filling the gap either.

Same manufacturer but non-gyro: I've heard good things about the Streamline Trace, and that it can basically be your beefier Wave. If I was committed to an all MVP/Axiom/Streamline bag, I would definitely be giving the Trace a really long look to slide between a Photon and Plasma Wave (Plasma is by far the best Wave plastic).

However, I personally decided to move on from the Wave this year and found the Dynamic Discs Trespass to be a great replacement. A Trespass starts off a bit more stable and glidier than a Wave, and beats in nicely to a Wave-like stability. There are also certain plastics (Lucid-X, Moonshine) that are intentionally overstable so it's a mold that for me can cover the full stability spectrum. I will say that guys that throw over 400' typically wish the Trespass had a little more stability, but I'm not that powerful of a thrower.
How does the Plasma Wave compare to a Proton? I've only thrown the Proton and a beat Neutron. Neutron was flippy and the Proton a little more stable. Think I'll pick up the Plasma a CN cause I love the looks and the wave is my most constant mold for distance for me right now. My Plamsa Trace is still pretty new and pretty stable. I love the Plasma plastic for the grip in the wet I get up here in the PNW.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 978 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post

I like the Trespass more than the Wave too. The Mayhem is also another good option if you want to stick with MVP/Axiom.

For understable bombs I usually stick with a Shryke.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
How does the Plasma Wave compare to a Proton? I've only thrown the Proton and a beat Neutron. Neutron was flippy and the Proton a little more stable. Think I'll pick up the Plasma a CN cause I love the looks and the wave is my most constant mold for distance for me right now. My Plamsa Trace is still pretty new and pretty stable. I love the Plasma plastic for the grip in the wet I get up here in the PNW.

Plasma Waves are consistently domier than Proton and Neutron Waves. They are also a touch less stable, but not by much. In my opinion a Plasma Wave is a replacement for Neutron or Proton, rather than a complement. But I've also always felt that gyro discs vary a lot less from plastic to plastic when compared to the other manufacturers.

The big thing that sets Plasma Waves apart for me is that they glide way better, which is something I prefer in an understable driver. Generally speaking, I prefer flat overstable drivers to cut through the wind and forehand cleanly, and domey understable drivers to ride tailwinds and glide out a few extra feet of distance.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
I like the Trespass more than the Wave too. The Mayhem is also another good option if you want to stick with MVP/Axiom.

For understable bombs I usually stick with a Shryke.
Yeah, I bag a beat Biofuzion Trespass that is basically a Wave at this point. Then I cycle Lucids and Fuzions for the more reliable stability slots, and I toss in a Lucid-X on windy days. So 3-4 Trespasses that cover nearly all distance driver shots, other than absolute max distance smashers (I'm trying the Katana currently for that) and headwinds on really blustery days (PDx comes out to play if winds are >20mph). But most days a handful of Trespasses cover all the lines I need in a single mold.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:09 PM

Niced 19 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Waves are by far the most lost MVP disc I encounter. I've found no fewer than a dozen.

I've thrown a few good Waves, but mostly I find them too flat, flippy, and glideless to be of much use.
I think I have to go and shoot a vid how domy Wave flies and glides. Sure, it is understable and turns for days, but that's exactly what I use it for. For turnovers >360ft.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:17 PM

Niced 19 Times in 11 Posts

Actually here: https://youtu.be/PyhLFBl9St4?t=143 its very nicely shown.

Old 10-13-2020, 04:24 PM
Par Member

Wish me luck. Just ordered a Plaz & CN.