Old 10-23-2020, 06:12 PM

Niced 17 Times in 16 Posts

Hello again.
The last time I posted SW22 told me that I was kind of in between drills. So I have been working on two types of OLD as well as the Open to Closed drill.

1. OLD
Here I have been working on keeping my rear hip forward to the left of my rear heel.

2. I do notice in the video that my front foot shifts a little, right before or going into weight shift. I do not notice this while throwing. Am I maybe taking too much weight of my front foot during the backswing?

3. Elephant OLD
Here I am working on making a bigger shift to the right behind the rear foot more like elephant walk with front toes up off ground.

4. This felt really weird to begin with, but I am liking having more variety in these drills.

5. OtC
This definitely felt the most foreign to begin with and I know I need to work a lot more on this.

6. This is definitely more powerful. The disc are very obviously coming out faster and going further.
7. I keep throwing to the right of my line and the disc keep coming out on hyzer when I am going for a flat shot.
8. I notice in the behind view that I am stepping quite far out the left in my plant. Am I going to far to the left?
9. You do not have to mention my throwing arm. I see that it is doing weird thing that I need to fix (and I know I can fix because I did simular things in OLD earlier).

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2020, 08:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 227
Niced 4,113 Times in 2,494 Posts

OLD your front hip looks a little tipped over top your front leg in setup from side view. Should stack right up on front leg, foot/knee/hip.

Yeah, too staggered, note how your left leg locks out with hip pushed over to the left past your left knee. Should feel more rightward to targetward push of left hip from left foot/knee going into flexion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 7.20.27 PM.jpg (45.7 KB, 86 views)

Niced: (1)
Old 10-24-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
OLD your front hip looks a little tipped over top your front leg in setup from side view. Should stack right up on front leg, foot/knee/hip.
Yeah I have noticed that before. I need to stay more aware of this. When I do stack my hip up on the leg I feel I am more braced on the inside.

Quote:
Yeah, too staggered, note how your left leg locks out with hip pushed over to the left past your left knee. Should feel more rightward to targetward push of left hip from left foot/knee going into flexion.
Nice catch. When I look at this I am just stiff/not athletic and I also see I am doing the same thing in OLD.
1. So how staggered should I be? I can see that I am more staggered going into plant than I am in setup. I am guessing it should be the same, so I should be as staggered in plant as I am in setup. Does that make sense?
2. So about that rear leg knee flexion. I watched again your Open to Closed Drill in the Hammer Toss Drill video and your BH standstill video. I want my knee to be flexed especially when there is weight on the foot and it does not have to be a lot of flexion, or (in other words) I never want my leg/knee to be locked out/stiff when weight is on the foot. Being flexed is simply way more athletic. Am I understanding this correctly?
Old 10-25-2020, 03:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingOnShoulders View Post
Nice catch. When I look at this I am just stiff/not athletic and I also see I am doing the same thing in OLD.
1. So how staggered should I be? I can see that I am more staggered going into plant than I am in setup. I am guessing it should be the same, so I should be as staggered in plant as I am in setup. Does that make sense?
2. So about that rear leg knee flexion. I watched again your Open to Closed Drill in the Hammer Toss Drill video and your BH standstill video. I want my knee to be flexed especially when there is weight on the foot and it does not have to be a lot of flexion, or (in other words) I never want my leg/knee to be locked out/stiff when weight is on the foot. Being flexed is simply way more athletic. Am I understanding this correctly?
1. It's all relative to being in balance on front leg.

2. In OLD backswing your front knee/hip/shoulder bends/collapses in toward disc, and your rear leg locks out, I'm pushing my front knee/hip back to right into flexed rear knee, and rear hip flexes back. Rear leg must go into triple flexion, ankle, knee, hip, and then into to triple extension/spring - doesn't need to be a lot of travel, just little spring action. Walk back and forward perpendicular to target on rear leg. Knees should be inline at address/femur hanging, rear knee bend puts rear foot staggered behind on tippy toes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IFO7J3AV5Y#t=5m30s

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 2.12.24 AM copy.jpg (23.9 KB, 64 views)

Old 10-25-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
2. In OLD backswing your front knee/hip/shoulder bends/collapses in toward disc, and your rear leg locks out, I'm pushing my front knee/hip back to right into flexed rear knee, and rear hip flexes back. Rear leg must go into triple flexion, ankle, knee, hip, and then into to triple extension/spring - doesn't need to be a lot of travel, just little spring action. Walk back and forward perpendicular to target on rear leg. Knees should be inline at address/femur hanging, rear knee bend puts rear foot staggered behind on tippy toes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IFO7J3AV5Y#t=5m30s

Wow, I am so stiff/rigid in my rear leg/foot, and I am doing exactly the same as the Am in AMG video. Pivoting around my rear hip in the backswing and then pivoting around my front hip in the forward swing. Instead of pivoting around the centre of my hips. The diagram and the red arrows really show that.
Thank you SW22 for the extensive explanation/analysis.

Two steps forward, one step back. Back to work for me.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:31 PM

I had a practise session today where I was working on not being so stiff in my rear leg and properly rotating/pivoting my hips and I have a few thoughts that I would like to run by SW22.

First, I perceive the CoG as the centre of my pelvis.

Here are my thoughts from today:

1. When I am doing the swing drill, from the Swing Drills video that you sent me (I am calling it Elephant OLD), I feel like my CoG is going back and forth on straight line that is perpendicular to the target. At address my hips are on the target line and during the backswing they pivot counter clockwise around CoG so that when I am at the top of the backswing my hips are on the perpendicular line (they pivot 90 degrees or at least close to it). In the forward swing the CoG stays on the perpendicular line and the hips pivot back to the target line. The hips continue pivoting open during release and follow through.

2. In OLD my CoG is not travelling on a straight line, it is more of an oval shape (or maybe and eight shape, I am not sure). If we were to create a "line of best fit" from that course, that line would be diagonal to the target (as in "weight shift is diagonal"). Again the hips are pivoting around the CoG.

3. In the AMG video you posted in the last post, they put a vertical plane (sheet of glass) behind the player to the "butt wipe". Am I correct to think that if I were to have a vertical plane behind me in OLD, the plane would be diagonal like the "line of best fit"?

What do you think? Am I feeling/perceiving this correctly?

I plan on working on this a bit more and then post videos.

Old 11-07-2020, 06:35 PM

SW22, how heavy is the hammer you use in the Hammer toss drills?
Old 11-07-2020, 09:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingOnShoulders View Post
SW22, how heavy is the hammer you use in the Hammer toss drills?
That one is 1lbs I think, it's heavier than your average claw. I've tossed 3-10lbs sledges.

I think doing this would help a lot of players feel how the whole body needs to counter the swing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQYGzTlVetQ&t=7m

Old 11-08-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
That one is 1lbs I think, it's heavier than your average claw. I've tossed 3-10lbs sledges.
So is it "better" to swing a heavier object? I suppose that would differ from ones own mass and there also must a "too heavy" object. But what is your experience between throwing a 1 lbs hammer vs. a 3 lbs sledge (or 10 lbs sledge)?
I have a 30 oz. claw hammer, would that be sufficient for me?
I have been thinking of buying a rubber hammer (just to reduce risk of injury) and I found some in different weights. The heaviest being 48 oz. and the lightest being 18 oz. Would it be useful to have different weights? Maybe start with the heaviest and gradually reduce the weight, until I am down to disc weight?

There have been quite a few lightbulbs turning on in my head in the past week or so. I have been re-reading some of your threads (The Kinetic Sequence, Leverage & Centrifugal Force are Sideways and Straight & Flat Swing Plane Does Not Exist!) and re-watching many of your videos. Over the last six months of working on my form I have learnt so much, I am however now realising that I have been doing this form work all wrong, or at least approaching it from the wrong angle so to speak. I have been kind of drowning in the details without seeing the big picture. I think I am starting to see the big picture now. I just have to use my own kinetic sequence along with the earths gravity to get onto my front foot, in balance, and swing through. Sounds simple. I imagine the difficult part is to "feel" the swing like I am holding an object that is (much) heavier than a DG disc, thus the questions about the hammer

My plan now is to do some Hammer Toss drills along with the Slow Motion drill and Kick the Can or Ball. I will record and post soon.

Quote:
I think doing this would help a lot of players feel how the whole body needs to counter the swing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQYGzTlVetQ&t=7m
This is intriguing

Old 11-09-2020, 12:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Sounds good. I don't know that there is any "better" weight, it basically just slows everything down the heavier the weight and grounds your feet more making it harder to walk unless you really give it good preswing to take a forward step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04BGqmuaT8g&t=3m55s

You can throw just about anything, sticks, pens, cups...