Old 05-09-2020, 07:45 AM

Niced 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default Building my form

Greetings and salutations.

Im a 40 year old Icelander looking for help in building my DG form. Ive been playing for about 2 years and quickly started thinking about form technique but I injured my shoulder last year so Im kind of starting over now. I have been reading alot both here and on Heavydisc.com and trying to figure out how to get that proper form I want.

The faults that I can see that I have right now, looking at the video of me are:
1. Im not falling backwards enough at the top of the backswing. Maybe I need to work more on the Hershyzer drill? Also wondering wether my arm is coming up too high.
2. My shoulder is definitely collapsing in the forward swing. Its an issue I have from last year and I need to fix that. Any ideas on how to fix that?
3. Im tilting backwards in the power pocket. I dont really know wether this is an issue or not, but it looks weird.
4. My front leg seems to turn out when the ankle comes down. I didnt realize I was doing this until I recorded myself and saw it. I dont know why Im doing this, but it looks weird, and Im probably not bracing correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hivXlIr77Og

You guys can probably see other thing that Im not seeing and I would greatly appreciate any insight from you and advise on how to fix.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by StandingOnShoulders; 05-09-2020 at 07:49 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-09-2020, 08:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 227
Niced 4,113 Times in 2,494 Posts

I really like the way are setting everything up moving your feet and swinging. I agree with your assessment, and would say 1-4 are all related to each other and boils down to one fundamental thing... you are turning/spinning everything open before shifting forward from behind you, or closed.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=136487

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 7.09.57 PM.jpg (31.6 KB, 215 views)

Niced: (1)
Old 05-09-2020, 08:22 PM

Yeah, when I was starting out in DG I learnt that I need to rotate my hips or engage my hips to throw well/far. So I started doing that. Then for the past few months Ive been reading threads here and realizing that my hips should rotate as an effect of weight shift and bracing. I quess I have some unlearing to do, as well as learning.

Thanks for the reply SW22.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:15 PM

Hello again.

So far this week Ive working on three things:
1. Falling better/more backwards from behind into the brace and delaying rotation until the front heel comes down on the ground. It feels and looks like to me that it is working well, but I would love to get your input.
2. Not raising my hand so much in the backswing. To me looks like Im still raising it a bit too much, but still better than in the first video.
3. Not collapsing my shoulder coming out of the backswing. Definitely a work in progress, but its coming along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEYGeRlg0ug

Anything else you are seeing that Im not seeing that might be an issue? The only other thing that I can see is in the back view where it seems like my upper body is alittle bit to much back. Should I be more "head over toes"?.
I do realize that my back/left side (both arm and leg) need work and the way Im holding the disc when its coming out. On these throws Im only focusing on the three things I mentioned above, Im not worrying about distance, trajectory or nose angle (pretty much everything is coming out nose up as is). I plan on focusing on those things after I fix the other things. Im also focusing on keeping everything slow and smooth in these throws, not trying to power anything yet.

My plan is to solidify the three things mentioned and then start working on my back/left side.

Greatly appreciate any insight from you and advise on how to fix.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Yeah looking better. You are striding too diagonal away from your rear foot, instead of either sideways or forward from rear foot.

Try not striding your front foot, just kind of walk or rock back toward right tee side onto front heel to allow your shoulder/arm to hang and swing back with your front knee out of the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IFO7J3AV5Y#t=5m25s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1pkfJtVq-8

Old 05-13-2020, 07:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Stance should be diagonal and pressure shift between the feet diagonal. If you stride the front foot it should be more linear from it's starting position.
https://biokineticgolfswing.blogspot...uqzqYeLXHm_G0M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17IYtSMtfzQ&t=2m30s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y5Fu6EKgTA

Old 05-13-2020, 08:30 PM

Wow nice catch there SW22.
So what Im doing now is striding my front foot towards the left front corner of the teepad, or as you said too diagonal away from rear foot. Which is causing what I saw as my upper body leaning a bit back in the forward swing. I guess its not my upper body that is so much leaning back but my front foot that is out in front.

Thanks again for the reply SW22... back to work for me

Old 05-23-2020, 04:45 PM

Unlearning is tough work.

This past week has been a bit difficult. Its amazing how strong muscle memory is and how difficult it is to change little things in your motion. So I have gotten a little discouraged this week, frustrated that things are not changing quicker and had difficulty focusing on the things I should be focusing on and started to worry about things I shouldnt worry about right now (like distance and trajectoy). I guess this is the torture that HeavyDisc/HUB mentions in his blogs? But I have managed to get back on track, reminding myself to be patient and remember thing Im working on right now.

So I have been working on these four things:
1. Properly lending my right ankle before going into forward swing (not starting rotation too early).
2. Not collapsing the shoulder in forward swing.
3. Not raising my arm to high in the back swing.
4. Not striding my right foot out the right side teepad, but striding my foot more forward.

1. and 2. are definitely the things Im having most difficulty with.
1. is definitely much better than it was the first time I posted here, but sometimes I notice that as soon as my toe touches the ground my ankle rotates down on the ground instead of "crushing the can" forward. I think I just need a little more time to work on this and I will get there.
2. same as 1., much better than it was at first, but needs a little more time.
3. I believe I pretty much got this, although in the video the does come a touch to high.
4. You can see in the video that I have a wooden plank in front of me. This is just so I dont stride to the right and its working well.

Here is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EWUZYfoklw
(side note: how do you get the video to appear in the post, instead of just the link?)

So what do you think? Should I just keep at this for now or should I start to work on other things as well?

Greatly appreciate any insight from you and advise on how to fix.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:07 PM
* Ace Member *

These will help with the other things...

1. Keep your eyes on your disc - everything swinging back together on rear leg.
2. Brace rear knee inside rear ankle in backswing, extend/stiffen up rear knee to shift and turn back on it. Your rear knee is bending/collapsing behind your ankle so your leverage is toast.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 7.54.26 PM.jpg (30.5 KB, 177 views)

Old 05-24-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
These will help with the other things...

1. Keep your eyes on your disc - everything swinging back together on rear leg.
2. Brace rear knee inside rear ankle in backswing, extend/stiffen up rear knee to shift and turn back on it. Your rear knee is bending/collapsing behind your ankle so your leverage is toast.

Thank you again SW22 for the reply and the analysis.
1. Obviously... Duh... That was probably just a focusing mistake of mine and should be easily corrected.
2. So I can see what you are talking about. I was trying to be loose in the knees and when I start my backswing I bounce down a little and my rear knee rotates back with the swing, which (if Im understanding you correctly) shouldnt happen. In the "Power of Posture" video you talk about when you rotate the hips back you rear femur is internally rotated and resisting. Thats what I should be doing/feeling, right? I have tried this a little in my living room and I can very much so feel that resistance in my rear hip/femur. I have never felt that before, or atleast been conscious about it.