Old 05-24-2020, 05:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 227
Niced 4,097 Times in 2,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingOnShoulders View Post
Thank you again SW22 for the reply and the analysis.
1. Obviously... Duh... That was probably just a focusing mistake of mine and should be easily corrected.
2. So I can see what you are talking about. I was trying to be loose in the knees and when I start my backswing I bounce down a little and my rear knee rotates back with the swing, which (if Im understanding you correctly) shouldnt happen. In the "Power of Posture" video you talk about when you rotate the hips back you rear femur is internally rotated and resisting. Thats what I should be doing/feeling, right? I have tried this a little in my living room and I can very much so feel that resistance in my rear hip/femur. I have never felt that before, or atleast been conscious about it.
You don't need to over think the rotation as it basically happens as byproduct of bracing and changing direction just like walking or running. The internal rotation happens as a secondary action from bracing the pelvis. If you shift the pelvis back away from target, something has to stop it from moving away, the femur redirects the pelvis from linear motion into counter clockwise rotation - away from target but now moving linearly targetward, and then when the femur is loaded goes into abduction and external rotation(secondary) and the pelvis rotates clockwise toward the target.

This first one is just talking about the forward motion but you can reverse it backswing/loading:

Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-24-2020, 07:13 PM

Niced 17 Times in 16 Posts

First of all, Im highly introverted and mildly autistic so I over think pretty much everything

I totally get that rotation is a byproduct of bracing and changing direction. I have learnt that this year by reading many of the threads here on DGCR. I learnt last year that I should rotate my hips myself and unlearning that has been the most difficult part of my form work this year (muscle memory/habits is/are hard to break), but Im definitely getting there.

When I read your "The Hips" tread I saw in one of the "Athletic Motion Golf" videos how the hip rotation looks like and it got me to understand your "Butt Wipe Drill". So I started doing that drill (both in front of a mirror and with a wall behind me) but I didnt get that I should be bracing my rear knee inside my rear ankle, so I have never done that before until today after reading your analysis/comment. What I feel when I brace my knee is tension/resistance in my rear hip/femur, caused by my femur being internally rotated or my pelvis being rotated counter clockwise (depending on how you look at it). Thats what I was referring to in my last post, that feeling.

Thank you SW22 once again for your insight, analysis and videos... and back to work for me

Old 06-10-2020, 08:03 PM

Hello again.

The last time I posted I was trying to work on four things at a time and I think that maybe that was just too much. I saw the Backwards Bicycle video SW22 posted in a thread here (I forgot which one) and it really made me think about how muscle memory work and how difficult it can be to change it.
I was getting frustrated about how the four things were not getting fixed (or maybe just that they were not getting fixed quickly enough). You can see in this video (taken ten days ago) that Im still collapsing my shoulder and as soon as my front toe touches the ground I start to rotate my heel, instead of crushing the can:

So I re-thought the process and started doing the One Leg Drill. Ive been doing the OLD now for about ten day and it feels great. Using OLD I dont have to think about my early rotation or how I was striding towards the left, I can focus better on my arm and my collapsing my shoulder. And it works and feels great. Funny how Im throwing just about as far

But how do progress from here, start working on my lower body? I have been watching some of the Shawn Clement videos that SW22 posts and I subscribed to his channel. In his latest video he is asking Savvy to throw the club further and further, so she is swinging harder and harder (or with more and more velocity) to where she is at her top speed. Then he talks about that if she were to throw it even further she would need a running start. He demostrates this and does what looks like to me "A beautiful disc golf backhand from" with a hop instead of a step. You can see it at 12:49

So I figure why dont I go from a One Leg to a Two Leg (or standstill), like a golfer. I tried this out to day and it feels pretty good

I noticed that my left arm is doing the swim move, but I have not been focusing on that at all, I love that.

I need more reps with this, but what do you think? Any issues you see?

Old 06-10-2020, 11:14 PM
* Ace Member *

1st vid - you turn back and then you start to shift forward, so you are making two separate moves instead of blending them into one fluid motion turning whilst shifting forward - door frame drills.

Vids 2/3 - these look better.
I would suggest combining them together which is more like how I do OLD. Start like OLD completely on front leg and let then let your rear heel come down so your weight moves back toward right tee starting backswing and circles back toward left starting back forward like 3rd vid.

I would also suggest trying a pendulum backswing, make the swing heavier, so your body reacts to it more.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Vids 2/3 - these look better.
I would suggest combining them together which is more like how I do OLD. Start like OLD completely on front leg and let then let your rear heel come down so your weight moves back toward right tee starting backswing and circles back toward left starting back forward like 3rd vid.

I would also suggest trying a pendulum backswing, make the swing heavier, so your body reacts to it more.

Yes, I have noticed how you do OLD by going on to your rear heel. Ill give that a try.

Pendulum backswing? Thats starting with the disc out infront of you (pointing it at the target) and then swinging it down and into backswing, right? I have been using that "starting at your chest" method only to work on my shoulder collapse, I find it really helps with that. But I have been using the pendulum backswing before and plan to go back to that.

Thank you for your insight SW22.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:30 AM

Hello again. I havent posted in a while, but Im still going at it

I have two videos for you today. One is a standstill and the other is an X-step.

Here is the standstill:

Im still struggling with early rotation in my front foot. As soon as the front toe comes down my heel rotates down instead of crushing the can. I have no idea that Im doing this while throwing and I have been focusing on fixing this but its still there. Muscle memory huh! Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Here is the X-step:

This is taken yesterday and its pretty much my first attempt at an X-step in a year. What do you think?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-23-2020, 10:48 AM
* Ace Member *

1. Setting up before throw. After the pendulum backswing, need to bend the elbow going forward in pre-swing. It should be more of a looping path than retracing the same path back and forth.

2. You are turning back too early/quick and done turning back before you start shifting forward. Your arm is still going back while shifting forward, but your body has stopped turning back, so your arm ends up collapsing against the body, and body starts turning forward during the shift even though you try to pause or not turn forward. Need to be turning back while shifting forward all the way into plant.

3. On the x-step #2 is exaggerated. You are completely turned back before you plant the left foot, so you aren't loading/turning back into a grounded left foot/leg.

Do some Elephant Walk Drill:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=136487

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 9.30.47 AM.jpg (23.2 KB, 61 views)

Old 07-23-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
1. Setting up before throw. After the pendulum backswing, need to bend the elbow going forward in pre-swing. It should be more of a looping path than retracing the same path back and forth.

2. You are turning back too early/quick and done turning back before you start shifting forward. Your arm is still going back while shifting forward, but your body has stopped turning back, so your arm ends up collapsing against the body, and body starts turning forward during the shift even though you try to pause or not turn forward. Need to be turning back while shifting forward all the way into plant.

3. On the x-step #2 is exaggerated. You are completely turned back before you plant the left foot, so you aren't loading/turning back into a grounded left foot/leg.

1. I see what you mean, I can see you doing this in your Standstills video. Ill give it a try.
I guess its to mimic the entire motion of the backhand throw. But Im curious to know if there is a specific reason to why I need to do this in the pre-swing. Knowing the reasons behind things help me understand them and better reminds me to do them.

2. So its a timing issue that I have? I can see that Im turning my head quicker than my arm and my entire body turns with my head, ahead of my arm. My head should be turning along the my arm/disc, right? And my "turning back" should peak along with my plant, right?

3. Yeah I see what you mean and it definitely correlates with #2. So my "turning back" should start with me grounding my left foot in the X-step? Or my "turning back" should start with my front foot coming out of the X-step? Maybe those two are the same haha.
I found this on the youtube page: https://youtu.be/7IFO7J3AV5Y?t=284 The forward swing you make before the X-step, is that to help with the timing?

Thank you once more SW22 for all your help and insight
Old 07-23-2020, 03:23 PM
* Ace Member *

1. Because you bend the elbow when you throw, so that should be the same as the pre-swing/address. Got to aim the swing of the lower arm/disc.

2. Timing or rather sequence.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=133733

3. Correct backswing starts with grounded rear foot. Yes helps with sequence and balance and aiming.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:44 PM

So I was watching that "How Kyle Berkshire uses the Ground" you posted (fantastic video btw) and that led me one of Shawn Clements videos where he talks about Kyle Berkshires technique and I have a couple of questions for you SW22.

Both questions have to do with standstill throws:
1. Should I be "gathering the ground" on my back foot before I start my backswing, like SC talks about here https://youtu.be/IN_A9JSqKzw?t=458 ?
I am thinking that it might help with my timing/sequence.

2. Should I be actively pushing of the ball of my back foot going into the forward swing?

(You can just put a "Nice" on this post if the answer to both questions is yes )