Old 07-23-2020, 09:01 PM

Niced 17 Times in 16 Posts

I guess that "gathering the ground" is the same as that stomping thing Kyle does.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 07-23-2020, 09:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 227
Niced 4,097 Times in 2,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingOnShoulders View Post
So I was watching that "How Kyle Berkshire uses the Ground" you posted (fantastic video btw) and that led me one of Shawn Clements videos where he talks about Kyle Berkshires technique and I have a couple of questions for you SW22.

Both questions have to do with standstill throws:
1. Should I be "gathering the ground" on my back foot before I start my backswing, like SC talks about here https://youtu.be/IN_A9JSqKzw?t=458 ?
I am thinking that it might help with my timing/sequence.

2. Should I be actively pushing of the ball of my back foot going into the forward swing?

(You can just put a "Nice" on this post if the answer to both questions is yes )

Old 07-23-2020, 10:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Old 07-24-2020, 07:53 PM

I found the Malaska Golf video really interesting.

According to him most of the club head speed comes from the arm lever system. Then to add speed one needs to use ground forces. So to put this in relation to DG: can most of my arm speed (in a backhand throw) be created in the One Leg Drill? And to get more arm speed I need to go to a standstill and learn to use the ground. And to get even more arm speed I need to ad an X-step, which ads momentum to help get more out of the ground. So basically the OLD is an absolute fundamental part of the backhand throw, along with learning to use your arm efficiently.

Am I making any sense?

Old 07-24-2020, 08:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
I found the Malaska Golf video really interesting.

According to him most of the club head speed comes from the arm lever system. Then to add speed one needs to use ground forces. So to put this in relation to DG: can most of my arm speed (in a backhand throw) be created in the One Leg Drill? And to get more arm speed I need to go to a standstill and learn to use the ground. And to get even more arm speed I need to ad an X-step, which ads momentum to help get more out of the ground. So basically the OLD is an absolute fundamental part of the backhand throw, along with learning to use your arm efficiently.

Am I making any sense?
Absolutely.

Technically you are still using ground forces to use the arm lever system, it's just a lot more compact movement.
Force dissipates over distance, so the longer the shift the less efficient it is. It's more of just a quick/compact little twitch your CoG that ripples out to the arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu4CzVnITlo#t=5m56s

Old 07-25-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Technically you are still using ground forces to use the arm lever system, it's just a lot more compact movement.
So I guess I am still using the ground because I am infact standing on the ground.

Quote:
Force dissipates over distance, so the longer the shift the less efficient it is.
Can you explain this a little more for me? Dissipates as in lessens? English is not my first language. And when you say "longer the shift", are referring to the weight shift?

Quote:
It's more of just a quick/compact little twitch your CoG that ripples out to the arm.
So that΄s why you go onto to your back foot in your OLD video, instead of staying on the front foot the whole time like SC does. You told me in an earlier post to do the OLD like you so that the CoG would go the back leg and then back to the front leg.

I was trying this out today (doing the SC type of OLD and then your type of OLD) and I swear your type there was just a little bit more arm speed, or little more potential for arm speed.

There have been quite a few light bulbs turning on in my head the last two days and getting this understanding makes me want to practise the OLD way more than I have so far.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Correct, have to use ground to stand up against gravity.

Correct, less efficiency as weightshift gets longer. There might be power potential with longer shift, but is less efficient - takes more effort/work.

It feels like my static weight stays on the front leg in OLD. The extra dynamic weight created by moving goes to the rear foot. My CoG makes a little diagonal circle or oval throughout backswing and forward swing, it's not really a straight line back and forth. Like Mike/SC talk about the hips/butt move deeper back toward the wall.

Old 07-25-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
It feels like my static weight stays on the front leg in OLD. The extra dynamic weight created by moving goes to the rear foot. My CoG makes a little diagonal circle or oval throughout backswing and forward swing, it's not really a straight line back and forth. Like Mike/SC talk about the hips/butt move deeper back toward the wall.
1. So most of your weight is staying on that front leg and you want your front heel to stay grounded, right?
2. Does your back heel come all the way down to the ground?
3. Are you using your back in any way to push off of? Or kicking it towards right side teepad?
Old 07-26-2020, 06:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
1. So most of your weight is staying on that front leg and you want your front heel to stay grounded, right?
2. Does your back heel come all the way down to the ground?
3. Are you using your back[foot] in any way to push off of? Or kicking it towards right side teepad?
1. Yes, in OLD.
2. Yes, it taps the ground for a second, kind of like walking back and then forward.
3. Kind of, it's pushing forward against/resisting/loading the backswing pulling back away from target. I'm not really trying to kick, it springs when the body moving forward pulls the foot up and loses it's torque. Like in Kick the Can I'm trying to kick the right foot and the left foot gets pulled up it a kick.

Old 08-06-2020, 08:30 PM

I have a couple of questions for you SW22.

1. Have you seen this video from Mike Malaska where instead of talking about weight shift, he looks at it as pressure shift? This correlates directly into DG right? It somehow makes alot more sense to me to look at it (or feel it) as pressure shift instead of weight shift. When I think of pressure shift my mind goes directly into my feet and how they connect to the ground. Whereas when I think of weight shift my mind for some reason goes to my hips and how I need to shift them back and forwards to create that weight shift. Of course different people understand different things differently and I am just trying to understand this in my way. What do you think? Should I think of pressure shift instead of weight shift, in the way I just described the two.

2. What is lag in relation to DG? I see this every so often but don΄t quite get it. I saw you giving an answer in the DG Form Check FB group where you said: "My left leg is done driving before my arm does anything. That's getting all your weight behind the disc lag." I guess you would then have to be fully braced on the front leg before the forward swing happens (or the two happen simultaneously).
Or does it have to do with the different angles between the hips and the shoulders, as I have seen the guys at Athletic Motion Golf talk about (I cannot find the video there they talked about this as being one of the things that create the acceleration of the club head)?