Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 09-23-2020, 12:13 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 194 Times in 95 Posts
Default What putters do you use for which slots?

The Maiden burnt, the Warden drowned, the Rhyno got lost in the woods and the dog ate the Aviar. I could just replace them, but instead I am looking to experiment with different putters and am looking for some food-for-thought input.

What putters are in your bag/why?
What plastic do you use/why?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2020, 12:35 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,133 Times in 441 Posts

Wizard, not any reason in particular other than they’re a good generic beaded putter easily available in all kinds of plastics.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-23-2020, 12:38 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 373 Times in 173 Posts

Putting: Classic Aviar 175g. I like the clean release of a beadless putter. Stiffer plastic gives me a little more range with my putts. The grid stamp is sweet. I like old school discs. I feel good about putting Classic Aviars. A lot of putting is confidence, so I think it is important to have a putter that you WANT to use.

I previously putted Judges (Classic Blend, Prime, Classic, Classic Hybrid), Magnets (Pro D), and Deputies (Prime and Classic Hybrid). I yanked the beaded putters right a little too often. The Deputy was fine, but I decided I wanted to putt grid Aviars.

Throwers: Classic Blend Judge and Jokeri in base plastic. I used to throw my Deputies, but they were a little unpredictable in the wind. Then I found that my worn in Judges fly like Deputies, but handle wind much better. The Jokeri is a my stable throwing putter, but it isn't very glidey and I leave it short 95% of the time I throw it for a backhand approach. I'm much more consistent throwing Judges on hyzers. Where I do really like it is backhand force overs and forehand scramble shots. Something like a Zone might serve that role better.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:46 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 222 Times in 123 Posts

I use K3 Reko for putting and a K1 Reko for driving.
I also have a K1 Berg that I keep thinking I will grow to love like most others who throw the Berg. I have not found it very reliable as yet. Recently threw it forehand into a mild wind expecting it to hyzer back into a tree line because 1) it has no glide and 2) it is fairly overstable at low speeds, it flipped up and rode out 60' long and straight.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 41
Niced 843 Times in 511 Posts

Oh man, I love threads that over-analyze putters. I'm in.

Current bag:
*K3 Berg, mostly used for BH approaches and REALLY short drives. This thing is glideless and super slow (1 speed).
*Titanium Zone, used for straight-to-fade FH approaches and typical Zone things.
*Jawbreaker Zone, beat in quite a bit so it now has some turn to go along with the reliable fade. It's a little longer, finishes straighter, and has less skip than my Ti Zone.
*Neutron Proxy, which is the straightest disc I've ever owned. By that I mean it flies with darn near 0 turn and still has very little fade. It's an incredible driving putter for tunnels.
*Judges, primarily for putting. I also throw my beat-in Judge for slow panning putter drives and for understable approaches.

I also really like a bunch of other putter molds but don't bag them due to overlap. Among my favorites that aren't currently in my bag:
*Envy - the perfect "one disc round" disc. Straight-to-fade putter that has an incredible combo of wind fighting (0 turn) while also being an easy disc to throw far for a putter mold. Really a unique disc.
*Colt - great feeling thrower due to how shallow it is. This is the putter I often recommend to people when they are interested in learning to drive putters rather than just putt with them.
*Dagger - deep, glidey putter that is great as a putting putter if you play in areas that don't have much wind.
*Crown - similar stability to an Envy, but with a bead and not as good in the wind (again, Envies really are magical). I really liked putting with Crowns due to hand feel, but they are also solid throwers.

Old 09-23-2020, 12:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 41
Niced 843 Times in 511 Posts

Just realized I didn't even answer the plastics question! I really like tacky baseline plastics - Kastaplast K3, Discraft Jawbreaker, and DD Prime and Classic Blend (and the equivalents among Lat64 and Westside) are my favorites. Not a huge Innova DX fan, but their XT is alright.

It's also nice to add a bookend in a premium plastic, hence the Titanium/Jawbreaker Zone combo.

Last edited by aphilso1; 09-23-2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 419 Times in 205 Posts

jump to 5:30 ish. Or watch the whole video, it is pretty entertaining

Old 09-23-2020, 01:20 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,534 Times in 976 Posts

I bag three discs that could be classified as a putter;

Swan 2- this is my primary putter, I carry two for actually putting and as they wear in I keep one more as a straight/understable approach disc. Straight hyzerflips and turnovers up to 200 become very easy with this disc as long as the wind is mild.

Harp- upshots of all kinds up to 275. Mainly as a touch FH disc or spike hyzer BH, but I’ll use it on other lines as well. Will also putt with it when very windy.

Stego- ridiculous flex shots, FH hyzers, and all manor of weird get out of jail nonsense.

Old 09-23-2020, 01:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,520 Times in 788 Posts

I don't know if it's something I need to work on, but I've lost my ability to throw putters well. 150-200 feet I'm comfortable, but I can't push my Roach further without flipping it over ever other time. Zone and Ringer are slow, but require no touch at all. I don't really consider them putters in the sense I think we're talking about here. With those and the Blowfly/Gumbputt, I haven't had to practice touchy putter throws much.

Should I be working on that skill? Do you guys use the same form and put the same speed on your putter drives?

Old 09-23-2020, 01:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 88
Niced 502 Times in 266 Posts

Scale/Wizard for everything. I can cover all lines with various states of wear.

I prefer firm and chalky plastic blends for my throwers. So blends like Fossil, Pure White, various Special Blends, and even regular old S plastic can work (with flexes from SS to Firm). With Gateway stuff you've usually got to feel the disc to know whether it's what you're looking for.

Those plastics give the best grip even in wet weather or when hands are sweaty. It's the same reason I throw all baseline for midranges.

For putters I prefer a slightly more rubbery feel. Lately I'm liking the Hemp SS wizards as a primary putter, they have a rubbery/waxy feel to them that is working well for my grip.