Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-13-2020, 01:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 322 Times in 159 Posts

First off, he’s got some scruff going right now but the beard needs to come back in full force.

He’s just a funny dude, tells it how it is, super entertaining to listen to. He can get nerdy when he needs to, which is nice compared to a lot of other videos.

That’s the one thing that annoyed me with MVP...I think nobody disagrees that extra weight in the rim increases the gyro effect...but does it really translate to better flight. The 1-6% he says Ekstrom calculated is interesting. Gotta figure MVP is smart enough to do the math, but maybe don’t want to make that claim publicly?

Zone/Sinus/A2 seems like a lot of overlap, but his bag always did seem to have a lot of overlap...considering he carries a million discs.

Seems like the mixed bag is working for him though. He was always fun to watch back in the day, hopefully we see some more of him in videos.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:45 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 83
Niced 1,534 Times in 976 Posts

I do like that even though he trashed the plastic a bit he recognizes the validity of the Bard. I carry two or three all the time, usually a VIP and BT/Origio and they are amazing discs. I actually got a throw in Eagle with my Origio Burst Bard last week and even though they do get pretty beat up the hold lines so well.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5,203 Times in 2,174 Posts

It's funny that outside of a few exceptions, his Lat64 discs are his water discs lol

Old 10-13-2020, 09:16 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 167 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post

That’s the one thing that annoyed me with MVP...I think nobody disagrees that extra weight in the rim increases the gyro effect...but does it really translate to better flight. The 1-6% he says Ekstrom calculated is interesting. Gotta figure MVP is smart enough to do the math, but maybe don’t want to make that claim publicly?
In undergrad, around the time MVP started, I played with a guy who was getting his masters in physics. I forget what his specialty was, but I once asked him the question as to how much of a benefit was the rim getting. He came back with a similar response. A few years ago when MVP started putting out drivers, I asked him if they were any better. His response was basically no human is capable of throwing hard enough to fully utilize any benefit the heavier rim will get you in a driver. So for whatever that is worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
It's funny that outside of a few exceptions, his Lat64 discs are his water discs lol
It's because even he knows Trilogy plastic just doesn't hold up. Sorry, couldn't resist getting that one in.

However, interesting point about the Destoryers not having the same dome anymore. I too had realized companies are making flatter discs these days.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 633
Niced 2,754 Times in 1,546 Posts

at first i was like 20 minutes good f david

then i put it on as background sound while i did some housework and it was fairly entertaining

i love his trunk bag style

Old 10-13-2020, 10:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,529 Times in 709 Posts

His voice has gotten way more nasally over the years.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 92
Niced 322 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydex View Post
In undergrad, around the time MVP started, I played with a guy who was getting his masters in physics. I forget what his specialty was, but I once asked him the question as to how much of a benefit was the rim getting. He came back with a similar response. A few years ago when MVP started putting out drivers, I asked him if they were any better. His response was basically no human is capable of throwing hard enough to fully utilize any benefit the heavier rim will get you in a driver. So for whatever that is worth.
Yeah, between the volume of the overmold portion relative to the overall volume of the disc and the density of the overmold material itself compared to the rest of the disc I had always questioned how much more gyroscopic they actually become. Obviously that will vary disc to disc depending on the wing design.

Ultimately no human is able to perfectly reproduce throws, so even if there is some benefit how noticeable will it be given the inconsistency of the thrower?

I’ve wondered the same thing about disc weight. 166 grams is 95% of 175 grams. Is a 5% difference in weight noticeable to your average am golfer? Especially when the inherent variability of the molding process has a bigger impact on flight.

Old 10-14-2020, 02:32 AM

Years Playing: 4.5
Niced 22 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
at first i was like 20 minutes good f david

then i put it on as background sound while i did some housework and it was fairly entertaining

i love his trunk bag style
Trunk bag style is the perfect way to describe it. Do appreciate how much he cherishes his roc's, destroyers, etc. though. Half the bag is 'eh, let's go throw this in a pond', the other is 'if I lose this, I might not be able to play anymore'.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:49 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,198 Times in 991 Posts
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbo View Post
Trunk bag style is the perfect way to describe it. Do appreciate how much he cherishes his roc's, destroyers, etc. though. Half the bag is 'eh, let's go throw this in a pond', the other is 'if I lose this, I might not be able to play anymore'.
He has found discs that act the same flight as his good discs just they do not have that same feel he is used to, if he somehow had his stiff KC plastic Shatter in cold winter, I assume he would not use the discs but if he did and they are all gone for a mold he has newer discs that do the same as his old discs in flight but not in feel.

Also Cool Dave Feldbeurg uses the same putter from 1996 for putting or for other things for __ years minus the 5-7 that he was on the Latitude 64 Trilogy team. I am still doing the same for a Lighting #2 Upshot in Prostyle from 2005 used for uphill/downhill putting as well as for some long slight US putting where I do not need a OS approach disc. The one putter also used to be a driving putter before the top got the mini waffling in Late 2000's due to an Ice Bowl and hitting a tree on the course.