Old 01-11-2017, 05:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,509 Times in 1,000 Posts

1. Your rear hip is nowhere near stacked over your rear ankle - not wiping your butt/stacking posture upright. So your stride and stance are too rounded/wide/closed and you are setup to move to the left of the target line, instead of moving all your weight/momentum inline/linearly to the target and keeping the body in a narrower profile/stance like Will below.

2. Your rear foot is still heavily weighted on the ground when your front heel plants. Ideally your rear heel should be going up/forward before your front heel plants. Will's rear foot is already weightless and has starting sliding to the right a la vintage Greg Norman.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2017, 06:57 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 65 Times in 50 Posts

Awesome, thanks.

So - in order for the rear foot to go airborne prior to the plant heel touching down, should the rear foot push from the instep to engage the hips happen sooner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2017, 09:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack504 View Post
Awesome, thanks.

So - in order for the rear foot to go airborne prior to the plant heel touching down, should the rear foot push from the instep to engage the hips happen sooner?

Your question is misconceived. Your hips are two independent joints(like your shoulders) where the femurs rotate from the pelvis/torso. Your femurs/hips can rotate without the pelvis rotating - this happens when you sit or squat with both legs, you should be able to feel the femurs turning inside the pelvis. Your shoulders rotate when you do a push up, but your torso doesn't rotate. If you do a one leg squat your pelvis ends up rotating because there is nothing to counter torque it from the ground and your airborne leg has to either go forward or backward to clear out of the way. In a throw(stance wider than your shoulders) your hips act more independently from each other like a one leg squat.

I think of the rear side as all linear(although there is some rotation), leveraging/maintaining momentum targetward. The rear hip doesn't really rotate the pelvis during the swing because the rear foot ends up sliding behind the front to the right side of the tee to counterweight/balance the arm swing. The rear side is basically done driving momentum before the front side plants and only acts to counter after leaving the ground. So if the rear foot is sliding to the forward/right like Will Schusteric(Hershyzer drill second half), then it's actually anti-rotating the pelvis which allows you leverage/whip the arm forward harder into a wider arm angle giving you more space to accelerate the arm(faster arm speed).

The front side has to catch/brace that linear momentum and transfer it to rotational/angular momentum through the body by extending the front leg which clears/rotates the front hip and turns the pelvis/body with the shoulders, then the arm releases. If you are still trying to drive your rear foot from the ground through the hip when planted on the front side, you will likely hurt yourself(especially in a stance wider than your shoulders).

Niced: (1)
Old 01-29-2017, 11:47 PM
Birdie Member

Been a frustrating couple of weeks, lots of OAT and unintended anhyzer/grip lock.

Went out to the field the other day trying to crush the can more, but not the best results. I feel that my swing is rounding out during the pull through, shanking everything right due to a lack of brace, as SW pointed out earlier in this thread.

I'll post the footage here, but it's more of the same I'm pretty sure. I did slow the footage down and compare it to the lead card driving vid (you know the one) and I believe that I begin my backswing too early. I think that I could benefit from a pre-swing forward during the rear-foot-crossing-behind portion of the x-step to help my timing and to help delay my backswing. Thoughts? I don't think it would be a cure-all, but I do see myself dragging the disc forward into the plant rather than turning more deeply back into the plant.

Also, SW, watching your Crush the Can 2.1 I noticed something with your rear foot, and I'll post a link to a gif I made of it to show what I'm talking about. When you demonstrate the hop into the can crush, right before the plant, it looks like your on or near your heel, then you "spring" up onto the toes to shift (I think?) into the plant. Trying this out just at my house in a walk through feels like it helps drive the weight more and perhaps could help me get off of my rear foot during the swing.

Gif link - couldn't figure out how to embed it: http://gph.is/2jkN3Dr
Old 01-30-2017, 01:00 AM
* Ace Member *

I agree with a pre-swing, it should help keep your more balanced forward and turn back later and better sequencing - see door frame part 3. You still appear to be swaying leftward into the plant instead of striding straighter, and appear to be rounding taking the arm/disc too far back around behind your spine in the backswing. So your body and disc are crossing paths/directions instead of moving more together and keeping the disc outside your spine/body out of the way of a straight swing through. In the door frame drills, your stance would be going across/outside the door frame instead of your stance being inside the door frame so your arm/disc stay wide out to the side.

As you noted my rear heel bounces in the hop crush, see the double crush in bottles and cans and turbo encabulator - I'm getting my weight forward/off the rear side quicker. Your heel is still on the ground and spins out when the front heel plants so you are not crushing the can with all your weight.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-30-2017, 10:49 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I agree with a pre-swing, it should help keep your more balanced forward and turn back later and better sequencing - see door frame part 3. You still appear to be swaying leftward into the plant instead of striding straighter, and appear to be rounding taking the arm/disc too far back around behind your spine in the backswing. So your body and disc are crossing paths/directions instead of moving more together and keeping the disc outside your spine/body out of the way of a straight swing through. In the door frame drills, your stance would be going across/outside the door frame instead of your stance being inside the door frame so your arm/disc stay wide out to the side.

As you noted my rear heel bounces in the hop crush, see the double crush in bottles and cans and turbo encabulator - I'm getting my weight forward/off the rear side quicker. Your heel is still on the ground and spins out when the front heel plants so you are not crushing the can with all your weight.

Awesome, good to know that some of my analysis is confirmed. Excited to implement some of this in the field.

One thing though - when you mention that I'm striding leftward, I think this is a result of me trying to plant closed. I'll refer back to the door frame.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:50 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 113 Times in 91 Posts

I could be wrong here as it's nearly impossible to see without high FPS slow mo, but it almost looks like you are letting go of the disc rather than holding on at the hit.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:18 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
I could be wrong here as it's nearly impossible to see without high FPS slow mo, but it almost looks like you are letting go of the disc rather than holding on at the hit.
You could definitely be right. I always hear/read about gripping the snot out of the disc right around the hit, but currently there's so many things I'm trying to correct right now. Mainly the lower body. I'll have to keep this in mind some more in my swing thoughts.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:50 PM
Birdie Member

Tried some things out the other day - mainly trying out the backswing differently. I'll post one video here where I tried the buttwipe/hershyzer portion which leaves the disc near the rear foot and the shoulders turn while striding forward to "create" the backswing.

STILL leaving weight on my rear foot though. I've watch the sevam1 "the move" video and SW drills countless times and have been reading countless threads. I just can't figure out what to do with the rear foot or leg at the top of the backswing, or what my first move should be into the transition/downswing. I do know that what I'm currently doing is just pulling my arm through from that point, which I'll wager is improper.

I know that it needs to evert or counter the arm swing, and from watching pro footage it seems that they drive the knee downwards/backwards (although I think you've said that's incidental) and the rear foot is airborne as or even before the plant heel lands/disc comes forward. This move is proving to be painfully elusive to me.

All that said, I did manage one drive about 370' with a flippy-ish wraith, but I want to stop doing this the hard way and get on the right path to the easy, proper way and eclipse that distance.

Drill attempt:

Throw:

Old 02-13-2017, 03:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Part of the issue is that you are not deep enough into the Door Frame Drill. You start turning your shoulder before you get your hips/weight forward and trying to push the arm/disc through from the rear foot. The rear foot should only drive your hips/weight, not the arm/disc. Your upper arm/elbow also lags and collapses/hugging yourself too much, and can't get your elbow forward enough. Think of your elbow as a hinge that only swings the lower arm/disc in and out and the elbow doesn't move forward or back across the chest relatively, only the disc does. The elbow only moves with the shoulders and remains relatively forward of them. So if you "reachback" with your arm extended and elbow forward your shoulders will be turned further back and have a very wide arm.