Old 06-23-2018, 11:54 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 29
Niced 273 Times in 152 Posts

You are all wrong...
150 gram 'Griffin stamped' destroyer is the answer.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2018, 12:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 84
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 14 Times in 10 Posts

Regarding lightweight discs, I find it more difficult to “feel the hit” with them, and my timing goes downhill if I use them regularly. I have had some private lessons from pros who have encouraged practicing with heavier discs, like 200g condors or ultimate discs, to help develop timing. So maybe I’m not the only one who has this issue.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 223 Times in 156 Posts

Universally unique discs... no. I thought this thread was going a different direction so...

Blowfly/ gumbputt etc..
Comet
Stalker
Roadrunner
Zone
160gish Champ used Orc
Firebird
Epic if you overhand like a fiend..

150 ish MVP / AXIOM driver pick your speed, unique compared to other brands 150 offerings.
145 fission Photon or 150 Flick
MVP Switch.. Very unique straight flight with dependable big late hook fade
Envy, nuff said.

I'm sure there is some equivalent discs I haven't tried but those are unique molds in my experience.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 06-24-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,768 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
Regarding lightweight discs, I find it more difficult to “feel the hit” with them, and my timing goes downhill if I use them regularly. I have had some private lessons from pros who have encouraged practicing with heavier discs, like 200g condors or ultimate discs, to help develop timing. So maybe I’m not the only one who has this issue.
^ This is why I recommend swinging/tossing a sledgehammer to get the feeling of connecting everything taut through the body/arm/grip.

Condors are fun, they do require a slight adjust to regular discs because they are such large diameter/longer lever.
Size technically does matter.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-24-2018, 10:44 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 128 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
^ This is why I recommend swinging/tossing a sledgehammer to get the feeling of connecting everything taut through the body/arm/grip.

This is good advice. Most swing sports use a similar training technique. Baseball players put weight rings on their bats, and you'll often see golfers swinging with the head cover on or some other weights. One of those most effective training tools for ball golf is essentially a super heavy five iron. I'm not sure biomechanically why, but for some reason excessive weight helps you to get the timing down.

The only issue I have with the sledgehammer drill is that the grip seems a little awkward and doesn't feel like a disc. I think it would be beneficial if someone designed/produced/marketed a cast iron disc. I nominate sidewinder, I for one would put a little money into the kickstarter.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 46.8
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 269 Times in 153 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_player View Post
This is good advice. Most swing sports use a similar training technique. Baseball players put weight rings on their bats, and you'll often see golfers swinging with the head cover on or some other weights. One of those most effective training tools for ball golf is essentially a super heavy five iron. I'm not sure biomechanically why, but for some reason excessive weight helps you to get the timing down.

The only issue I have with the sledgehammer drill is that the grip seems a little awkward and doesn't feel like a disc. I think it would be beneficial if someone designed/produced/marketed a cast iron disc. I nominate sidewinder, I for one would put a little money into the kickstarter.

Clamps work if you want to toy with a sacrificial disc. That way you get the rim you like to grip. Has come up before and I recall a specifically molded up ‘disc brake caliper looking’ clamp as a reasonable product idea.

Last edited by MarkDSM; 06-24-2018 at 11:39 PM.