Old 05-24-2017, 06:24 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 35 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Doesn't even have to be players dropping down, though. I see no reason up and coming Intermediate players can't take things seriously, particularly if they have aspirations of moving up and becoming Advanced and Pro players down the road. If they want to develop good habits and follow the rules properly from the start, and expect the same out of their competitors, no reason they should be maligned for it.

I get that there are folks that are just out to have fun and not take things too seriously and also that there can be dickbags who use rules enforcement just to be dickbags, but they aren't the only two categories that players can fall into. There is plenty of relaxed fun to be had at tournaments (sanctioned or not) while still adhering to and respecting the rules of play.
Yeah, I see the point, but it's all about what's worth mentioning and what's not. There's a line there reasonable people can disagree over as to what's worth speaking up about and what's not. The tough ones are ones like weed smoking, which is a huge part of the DG culture unfortunately. I don't like weed myself at all, and don't particularly like the smell of it, but I feel like my slight annoyance at it is outweighed by the fact that it's something others really enjoy and something they can't often do at home etc. Unless someone's really doing something out of line I'm willing to let people be. At the Open level I wouldn't be as tolerant mind you.

The points made about learning the rules is also a good one, I just can't myself take any of it too seriously. I follow the rules pretty fastidiously myself, and think I'm aware of most of them, but if I see a guy doing something a little bit out of line I'm not going to give him grief over it. That said, I don't mind being corrected myself, it's all about the attitude people do it with and why they're doing it. If they're watching you like a hawk hoping you'll make a tiny mistake so they can dock you strokes, it makes me lose complete interest in playing.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2017, 07:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 203 Times in 142 Posts

Interesting... cause you hear people say that dg generally has a good community. Well, it depends kind of on how you define that.

I got burnt out on tournaments for a number of reasons. The people who are negative that ended up on my card didn't help matters. Perhaps that could have been the number one reason and I was unaware of it... That the negative vibe caused me to nearly drop the sport forever.

On the pot slash beer thing. If it is informal and done in a respectful matter I don't get too bothered about it. I consider pot becoming more decriminalized in some states so I don't really consider it as a defiant activity. Playing with a pothead or a drunk is a major buzzkill no matter how respectful they attempt to be.

If it is a bigger sanctioned event I think it should be hey do that after the round. That activity should be more celebratory in my opinion.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:06 AM

Years Playing: 3.8
Niced 18 Times in 10 Posts

Played in my first tournament recently and really enjoyed it. Only thing keeping me from doing them more often will be time commitment - I usually try and play disc golf once every weekend, but I have trouble taking the ENTIRE day for disc golf. All of these two round tournaments do just that.

I played intermediate because that was the lowest division this competition offered, but I noticed some funny rules issues: Player A kindly warns Player B too watch out for their foot to be within 11" inches of their mini since Player B was a little far back on the approach shot. Same hole, cleaning up putts, Player A is 2 ft from basket and proceeds to pick up disc without placing a mini and drop in. A little shocked that Player A was such a stickler for that rule and not​ this one, I just let it be.

Later I have a nice upshot that hits the post and sticks an inch from it. I wait for everyone to finish and take my mini and place to mark my disc, pick up disc and drop in basket. player A states "oh that's not necessary" to which I replied "just following the rules." player A didn't say anything

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2017, 11:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 345 Times in 218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
Played in my first tournament recently and really enjoyed it. Only thing keeping me from doing them more often will be time commitment - I usually try and play disc golf once every weekend, but I have trouble taking the ENTIRE day for disc golf. All of these two round tournaments do just that.

I played intermediate because that was the lowest division this competition offered, but I noticed some funny rules issues: Player A kindly warns Player B too watch out for their foot to be within 11" inches of their mini since Player B was a little far back on the approach shot. Same hole, cleaning up putts, Player A is 2 ft from basket and proceeds to pick up disc without placing a mini and drop in. A little shocked that Player A was such a stickler for that rule and not​ this one, I just let it be.

Later I have a nice upshot that hits the post and sticks an inch from it. I wait for everyone to finish and take my mini and place to mark my disc, pick up disc and drop in basket. player A states "oh that's not necessary" to which I replied "just following the rules." player A didn't say anything

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
In that instance you could have just dropped in any disc and then picked up your thrown disc. Then you only bend over once and don't risk bumping your head on the basket.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-25-2017, 01:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.6
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 52 Times in 22 Posts

Tournaments are the worst. Thank goodness the majority of people who play this sport are not tournament players. They are the minority and be sure to remind them of that whenever they fall out of line.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 76
Niced 173 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju View Post
Tournaments are the worst. Thank goodness the majority of people who play this sport are not tournament players. They are the minority and be sure to remind them of that whenever they fall out of line.
I don't necessarily like this attitude. Most of the guys that volunteer their free time to maintain courses are tourney players. The TDs & tourney players do a lot in my community. They're the ones who put in new tee pads, put in new pin positions, move fallen trees, raise money for new baskets & raise money for new courses. I even attended a local meeting before Milwaukee county decided to switch its courses to pay to pay. The county board members were taking questions, concerns & suggestions. A vast majority of the people there were TDs & tournament players. A majority of casual players I see don't even pay the $5 to play for a day. They're the same guys who leave trash everywhere & vandalize. Most guys who play in tourneys pay for a season pass every year. So (at least in my community) casual players should be reminded when they "fall out of line" as you put it. Especially in cases when individuals don't pay to play, don't help with the courses & leave courses worse then before they came. I'm not saying all casual players are vandals or shouldn't be allowed to play. Im not trying to attack you personally. I just don't see where you get this "put tourney players in their place" thing is coming from.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:20 AM
Par Member

Niced 120 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Geez, I really have not run across any, over the top sorts. Granted I do play GrandMaster.....maybe that helps. Honestly, I see fun as a decision I make, not what others do. Nobody is responsible for my happiness and the decision to not enjoy myself is all on me. I guess some extreme douche canoe could make the quest a challenge, but I would be more likely to push him over the edge, than vice versa. If I am in a tournament, I am laser focused on having a good time and playing well, I guess I am lucky that I have not had anyone sway me from my goal......well, the fun part, playing well can be a little more of a crapshoot. But, that is on me as well.
We missed ya at sanctioned singles yesterday. I managed to sink putts left and right and take everyone's dirty dollars.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-26-2017, 01:05 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 485 Times in 234 Posts

Wow, I have had the occasional dickbag (stolen from JT) on my card, but I think the only thing worse would be getting one of the whiney d-bags on this thread.

I have played with drunks, stoners, d-bags, rules Nazis, etc and always managed to have a good time. I could imagine coming to my father at 12 years old complaining about what the other kids were doing out on the playground or during a pick up football game. He would say, "how is it affecting you" and I would say, "well....." and he would say, "then get over it and worry about yourself and have a good time". My dad is the ****, and I wish some of you guys had dad's like mine.

I know you will all have your reasons on "how it affects you" and like my dad would say, "because your letting it".

Life is what you make it gentleman. Please go meditate.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.6
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 52 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post
I don't necessarily like this attitude. Most of the guys that volunteer their free time to maintain courses are tourney players. The TDs & tourney players do a lot in my community. They're the ones who put in new tee pads, put in new pin positions, move fallen trees, raise money for new baskets & raise money for new courses. I even attended a local meeting before Milwaukee county decided to switch its courses to pay to pay. The county board members were taking questions, concerns & suggestions. A vast majority of the people there were TDs & tournament players. A majority of casual players I see don't even pay the $5 to play for a day. They're the same guys who leave trash everywhere & vandalize. Most guys who play in tourneys pay for a season pass every year. So (at least in my community) casual players should be reminded when they "fall out of line" as you put it. Especially in cases when individuals don't pay to play, don't help with the courses & leave courses worse then before they came. I'm not saying all casual players are vandals or shouldn't be allowed to play. Im not trying to attack you personally. I just don't see where you get this "put tourney players in their place" thing is coming from.
Way to generalize casual players. This is the reason we don't like you tourney guys. You think you own the course, you don't. We got the numbers, so stay in line and don't slow us down.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 68
Niced 138 Times in 78 Posts

AM1 is the worst division. Super serious ams are intolerable.