Old 11-20-2018, 05:21 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,849 Times in 441 Posts

Honestly, my biggest fear is that Steve, like normal, is going to try and take on TOO much TOO soon and all the quality will suffer. If he just took MPO1 away and brought it in house, I think that the quality would rival Jomez very quickly. But with him promising MPO1, MPO2, FPO1, & Live... that is a lot to take in. He will need a crew for each of those IF he wants them next day. That is a lot of editors and cameramen to employ. Way bigger chance that something fails or falls by the wayside.

We will know more once he reveals his media plan for 2019.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-20-2018, 05:59 PM
Smelling the Shame

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 83 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Registration for the Memorial opened today it looks like and only for "card carrying touring pros" or internationals.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tourna..._2019/register

...and LVC has been open for a few weeks.
I saw a couple posts on Facebook today from Pros, rated over 1000, that were wishing they could GET an INVITE to the Memorial. 216 spots available and 240 invites sent out. Sounds tough.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 221 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
It's not like the ONLY decision available was to try to replicate the coverage. There's so many more types of content that could be made, in cooperation with the key players, that could drive their numbers up.

Honestly, that move is so very obviously the right one that I'm scratching my head as to why nobody came up with it.
This is kind of what we decided to do with the (incredibly small) PDGA YouTube channel. We rolled out the round recaps at Worlds that were produced by Cory Murrell and with the cooperation of the media teams. Ideally we continue in that direction this season and look to fill those missing content arenas in the sport. I'd rather leave the shot-by-shot coverage to the people who do it best and have the most eyeballs.

The biggest difference here, though, is we aren't running on a for-profit model at the PDGA. And that drastically alters the calculus.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:31 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.5
Courses Played: 365
Niced 1,688 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:
Yeah but you're really confident that the DGPT has the ability to put out the same quality par of content...
What is same quality ... uh, you know what? Never mind.

Niced: (3)
Old 11-20-2018, 07:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,356 Times in 410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
What is same quality ... uh, you know what? Never mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
This is kind of what we decided to do with the (incredibly small) PDGA YouTube channel. We rolled out the round recaps at Worlds that were produced by Cory Murrell and with the cooperation of the media teams. Ideally we continue in that direction this season and look to fill those missing content arenas in the sport. I'd rather leave the shot-by-shot coverage to the people who do it best and have the most eyeballs.

The biggest difference here, though, is we aren't running on a for-profit model at the PDGA. And that drastically alters the calculus.
Totally. I'm working on a similar approach for UWDG's new channel that we're building as well. I think there's a HUGE realm of untapped potential content for fans outside of 30 min edited coverage and 4 hour live broadcasts.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:39 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 41.5
Courses Played: 258
Niced 71 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Totally. I'm working on a similar approach for UWDG's new channel that we're building as well. I think there's a HUGE realm of untapped potential content for fans outside of 30 min edited coverage and 4 hour live broadcasts.
Yeah, like take the video footage from MPO1 and MPO2 and edit them together with narration. You could model it on what happened real time, with MPO1 clearly playing the holes after MPO2, OR, you could create your own Frankenstein card with some players from each card playing simultaneously, based on who's rounds were the more interesting story.

I'm sure someone has already thought about or done this before, right?

Old 11-20-2018, 08:47 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,849 Times in 441 Posts

Dodge kinda did that mix with 2 players from different cards in Utah I think. Paul & Ricky I think.

I agree with Jamie that there is a lot of potential ideas for things that are NOT shot by shot coverage. BUT... by Steve bringing it in house, he can coordinate these things without having to pay external media crews. It could be part of their weekly duties?

I hate being in the position of defending Steve's decision, because I clearly think it could have been handled differently on a number of sides. But, I can see the POTENTIAL upside. I also see where it could disappoint and backfire on him.

Niced: (3)
Old 11-20-2018, 11:06 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 160
Niced 126 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
I'm 99% sure they've signed a contract with the DGPT that gives them media control. Maybe Nate Heinold will pop in and correct me if I'm wrong
There is a venue agreement with the TD's. I don't even remember if we have signed one in the past, but this year on our TD call a few weeks ago Dodge mentioned we would need to sign it.

Quote:
Interesting thought. More than half of the tournaments I'd say are large enough to easily stand on their own, and if Jomez/CCDG are willing to film, they can all stand out from the pro tour. Something like Ledgestone doesn't need the pro tour, so I'd be interested in what value is really added to an event like that.
The DGPT adds immense value to my event. I have been a NT event and a DGPT event, and obviously I am a very pro-PDGA, but the DGPT has figured out how to run and market quality, professional events. They essentially created several top tier events out of nothing and immediately turned them in to some of the best events in the country (Idlewild, San Francisco, Jonesboro, and to a lesser extent the Utah Open, because as far as I am aware they were already a well known non sanctioned event). That's not to discount the local TD's for their work, but without the DGPT those events wouldn't have been elevated. The DGPT also brings other things that people don't think about: they do the Pro Payout now, which saves me a lot of time and its consistent for the players; they bring a lot of awesome course assets; they help coordinate all of the water stations on the courses; they help promote the event; they have staff working at the event; they add value through the Festival to the local players and spectators; they help coordinate UDisc; they bring legitimacy as I am meeting with local convention bureaus; etc etc. The PDGA NT does a great job as well and brings value in other ways (Tour rep doing course visits, PDGA trailer of assets, media assistance, etc). But its not accurate to say the DGPT doesn't add value to Ledgestone.

I should also clarify that this decision was the decision of the DGPT. I found out about the live coverage being brought in house the morning after the Smashboxx interview. The post production stuff is still up in the air and Dodge has said he is working on that. Who knows what will happen there, but if it doesn't work out it won't be a surprise to me as a TD, and probably some other TD's. If this was year 2 I would have probably thrown a hissy fit. I gave Steve my personal feelings on the subject and left it at that. But now that we are approaching year 4, we have to have some patience and trust Steve a little bit. So I told him I had faith in him and if he screwed up I would cut the rest of his hair off...

Last edited by JohtoVillage; 11-20-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 510 Times in 238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohtoVillage View Post
There is a venue agreement with the TD's. I don't even remember if we have signed one in the past, but this year on our TD call a few weeks ago Dodge mentioned we would need to sign it.
Are you saying he's put out the 2019 schedule (and even renegotiated event dates) before the TDs have contractually committed to the tour?

Old 11-21-2018, 10:08 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 160
Niced 126 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Are you saying he's put out the 2019 schedule (and even renegotiated event dates) before the TDs have contractually committed to the tour?
We have all committed to the Tour.