Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 560 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappyj View Post
Smells like hater.
To be fair, I think you are just ribbing me.

I don't hate how well Drew can throw, I think he has a ton of talent and skill. What I hate is blaming things other than yourself for not achieving your best. If you suck at or even just are not the best at something, it is probably just you and not outside influences.

I personally am only ok at disc golf. I could probably be better if I was willing to put in more time to get better, but I would still lack the overall talent to ever be any more than 950 even if I was super motivated. But I am ok with being mediocre and just having fun. It would never be the discs or plastic that they are made of that would hold me back. I try to always take ownership for my shortcomings and don't try to blame someone or something else to make myself feel better.

I also don't have the best job in my field. It is not because I got passed over by less talented undeserving individuals, it is that I am not as ambitious and also not as talented/knowledgeable as those other people. I am ok with that. All of this is on me, not outside variables.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by pjhayes7; 12-13-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,033 Times in 575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhayes7 View Post
Please, that was a dumb excuse for Drew, it would be a terrible reason not to accept a great offer if made for anyone. If a Stiletto and XXX are not stable enough for you, you are doing it wrong. It never seemed to hold Ricky back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappyj View Post
Smells like hater.
Does it? Seems objective to me. Gibson bagged Destroyers and Firebirds this year, not Apes and Monsters. And the Teebird and Leopard3 aren't the beefier equivalent of his Culverin and Convict (I think those were his main fairways.)
Old 12-13-2018, 04:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 67
Niced 664 Times in 321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Martin View Post
Find a new term.

Just because an improper term is used (insert any racist term), doesn't mean people should keep using it. I'm not saying am scam is a racist term, I'm saying using improper terms because that was always used in the past is similar to an older adult calling African-Americans 'colored' because that's what the grew up with in the 40's.

Am scam is a term referring to TDs taking Amateur entry fees to pay for Pro payout purses.
Nextgen is not doing that.

Use a new term.

How about "NextScam"?

Niced: (1)
Old 12-13-2018, 05:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,373 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhayes7 View Post
To be fair, I think you are just ribbing me.

I don't hate how well Drew can throw, I think he has a ton of talent and skill. What I hate is blaming things other than yourself for not achieving your best. If you suck at or even just are not the best at something, it is probably just you and not outside influences.
Yeah but are you judging him on things he said publicly? Or things he said to his friends or in non-public circles that got repeated?

I don't remember specifically, but I thought the "not overstable enough" comment was something leaked. It was definitely not part of his official statement.

FWIW, he's not the only person to have left the Lat64 brand family in recent years citing that same reason to friends/confidants.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-13-2018, 05:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,969 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Yeah but are you judging him on things he said publicly? Or things he said to his friends or in non-public circles that got repeated?

I don't remember specifically, but I thought the "not overstable enough" comment was something leaked. It was definitely not part of his official statement.

FWIW, he's not the only person to have left the Lat64 brand family in recent years citing that same reason to friends/confidants.
I don't doubt that Drew said something along those lines. And if you are used to throwing a specific disc, and you can't find what you want near it... I can understand. Maybe he couldn't find something close to the Destroyer that he loved. But "not stable enough" is a dumb thing to say. Because DD does have some wicked overstable stuff. Drew probably just couldn't find what he LIKED. And that is fine, it is why we have 60+ disc manufacturers these days.

Niced: (3)
Old 12-13-2018, 05:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 45
Niced 583 Times in 297 Posts

The exact quote was... "The DD discs didn't quite jive with what I needed/would like to see for my power".

Niced: (2)
Old 12-13-2018, 06:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,373 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
I don't doubt that Drew said something along those lines. And if you are used to throwing a specific disc, and you can't find what you want near it... I can understand. Maybe he couldn't find something close to the Destroyer that he loved. But "not stable enough" is a dumb thing to say. Because DD does have some wicked overstable stuff. Drew probably just couldn't find what he LIKED. And that is fine, it is why we have 60+ disc manufacturers these days.
Well that's my point - if you just take the naked words out of context you get a totally different meaning

He could have been saying, "Not overstable enough for the way I like to throw" for all we know.

Like I said, I don't remember the exact circumstances, I just remember hearing the same info. We're out on a limb here a bit because of that - but it's just stupid to continually roast a dude over his own reasons for taking control of his own career. They're his reasons, and unless they cause harm to other people, I really don't see the merit in dragging them.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 107
Niced 354 Times in 167 Posts

I just noticed this and found it interesting that the ratio of replies to reads on this thread is very close to 1/100.

And that’s a lot of reads!
Old 12-13-2018, 09:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 34
Niced 344 Times in 216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
Completely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Well that's my point - if you just take the naked words out of context you get a totally different meaning

He could have been saying, "Not overstable enough for the way I like to throw" for all we know.

Like I said, I don't remember the exact circumstances, I just remember hearing the same info. We're out on a limb here a bit because of that - but it's just stupid to continually roast a dude over his own reasons for taking control of his own career. They're his reasons, and unless they cause harm to other people, I really don't see the merit in dragging them.
The destroyer isn't as overstable as once thought with the addition of more overstable discs these days.

So regardless, that excuse was chicken ****, and actually a lie. It's a douchey move and THATS what people don't like

Old 12-13-2018, 10:10 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,033 Times in 673 Posts

I think the Enforcer, Stiletto, War Horse are all plenty stable... but what do I know I’m just a forehanding torque monkey.

Niced: (1)