Old 05-13-2019, 05:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 994 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
With this binge conversation starting I just need to say two words: The Wire.

SO. DAMN. GOOD.

This was the first show I ever binged. Bought S1 on a whim and was done with S5 by like the next weekend, lol.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-13-2019, 06:23 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 115
Niced 292 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
So can someone explain to me:

Why Davos was on the front lines?
Why one line from the Hound could sway Arya so completely (she only an episode earlier hinted at accepting her death)?
How could the Hound SEE after having his eyes compressed for any period of time by something as strong as the Mountain?
The Red Keep is littered with secret passages in and out, why would Jaime (who served multiple Kings at the keep for DECADES) go all the way to the cove to get in?
Euron Greyjoy just happened to come up in the same tiny cove?

The list goes on.
In short: trying to fit too much in too little.

In long: For so long the writing of the show was based loosely on a plot, but more driven by creating very in-depth characters with rich emotional histories and letting those characters make decisions based on their past and real emotions, and the story unfolded from there. It led to all the crazy side stories and dramatic circumstances, but left a lot to be wrapped up. Now there's so much left to wrap up that the style of letting characters in the story react true to their personal character, they are being shoe-horned into plots they haven't had time to develop, make decisions that seem rushed and irrational.

I'm just also going to gripe that on top of these two styles not blending well, the heavy-handed blunt writing is not helping even the end of the last episode where
Arya, character often associated with the god of death, rides off on a pale white horse that appears from...???
I mean, that's just the most ham-fisted writing I've ever seen.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 144
Niced 278 Times in 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake833 View Post
In short: trying to fit too much in too little.

In long: For so long the writing of the show was based loosely on a plot, but more driven by creating very in-depth characters with rich emotional histories and letting those characters make decisions based on their past and real emotions, and the story unfolded from there. It led to all the crazy side stories and dramatic circumstances, but left a lot to be wrapped up. Now there's so much left to wrap up that the style of letting characters in the story react true to their personal character, they are being shoe-horned into plots they haven't had time to develop, make decisions that seem rushed and irrational.

I'm just also going to gripe that on top of these two styles not blending well, the heavy-handed blunt writing is not helping even the end of the last episode where
Arya, character often associated with the god of death, rides off on a pale white horse that appears from...???
I mean, that's just the most ham-fisted writing I've ever seen.
The dialogue has been horrible.

DAVOS being at the battle at all, much less the front lines, makes no sense and did nothing to advance the story. It was just confusing - he isn't a warrior, and he has a crippled off hand besides.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:55 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 360
Niced 730 Times in 256 Posts

Can't believe that people get this wrapped up in a TV show.

Oh wait, I live in America, the land of the Keto diet, Pokemon Go, and kids swallowing cinnamon because they saw someone on the internet do it. Of course I believe it.

Not hating on the show. I've honestly never seen it. Carry on.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:22 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 41
Niced 699 Times in 397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post

Oh wait, I live in America, the land of the Keto diet, Pokemon Go, and kids swallowing cinnamon because they saw someone on the internet do it. Of course I believe it.

No hate felt.

You are on a disc golf forum...
Old 05-13-2019, 09:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 168
Niced 162 Times in 98 Posts

Quote:

TV show?!? That's just the adaptation. I read the first book around 2000 and was hooked right away. I've really enjoyed the show as well, but the books will always come first for me.

I usually give movie adaptations of novels more leeway than the average fanboy and adjust my expectations for the strengths/weaknesses of each form of media. Example: David Lynch's Dune is one of my favorite adaptations and favorite sci-fi movies, but it's one of the least faithful adaptations of the source material that I've come across. So, I'm not complaining that the show doesn't follow the books down to the last detail, but I've definitely got an opinion on the choices that were made to bring the show's story to a conclusion.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 484
Niced 68 Times in 21 Posts

I enjoyed Episode 5 infinitely more than 3 and 4... but I guess that's really not saying much.

Euron coming up on the cove was definitely groan-worthy. Blech.

The thing that really grinds my gears, is how Jon doesn't even do anything anymore. Dany was talking to him and asking him questions and stuff, and all he said was "I love you, you're my Queen", and...... nothing else? I mean, what's his dialogue been this whole season??? "She's my queen, I love her, you're my queen, I love you". But he doesn't even want to kiss her? Like he loves her like an Aunt now? Why doesn't he just say so?!?!? Say something?? It just doesn't make sense and doesn't fit his character, like he just instantly changed this season. /endrant

More than anything, I feel like the show used to be great with "therefore/but", but has turned into "and then".

Old 05-14-2019, 09:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:

Clearly, you've never watched Gilligan's Island?