Old 08-09-2019, 08:37 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 332 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
If you swing a golf club downward or a baseball bat forward, do you feel like you're holding the head of the club back? To me it feels like I'm pulling the handle forward and momentum is holding the club back. Then as my shoulders open or I approach the ball, the angles work out to start the club head swinging outward and that's because my wrists start to break forward toward neutral. That's through ball contact and then they continue to release the rest of the way in the follow through.

It's a similar thing with a disc, the momentum/weight holds my wrist in a good angle and because my shoulders don't feel like they open until the disc is in a forward position, my wrist doesn't want to break open until then.
Yeah, when you explain it like it totally makes more sense. And going through motion it doesn't feel much different. Where I feel the active wrist is just at the very end, right before release. I could be somewhat confusing the feel of gripping tightly with active wrist. AND I'm probably hugging myself as I'm trying to learn how to switch to Feldberg style pendulum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
Think handle first, should help things out. In this case, disc is the handle.
Lead edge of of disc as handle you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
If you are hugging yourself, the wrist wants to fly open. If you are hugging the disc with wide upper arm and/or elbow bent leading forward, the wrist will lag back closed until you stop/slow extending your elbow and/or hip rotation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2eWfwpahfk#t=2m10s

Do you stiffen the upper arm to keep it wide? I've been trying to focus on a loose and free form, trying to pendulum like Feldberg but my upper arm angle has likely gotten sloppy
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2019, 10:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,826 Times in 1,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
Do you stiffen the upper arm to keep it wide? I've been trying to focus on a loose and free form, trying to pendulum like Feldberg but my upper arm angle has likely gotten sloppy
No, it’s loose and fluid like in Reciprocating Dingle Arm, until the hit. Swing shoulder forward or slightly left inline with closed stance, not around to right across stance. Lower body needs to stop or slow down rotation to release wide.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-09-2019, 10:35 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 332 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
No, it’s loose and fluid like in Reciprocating Dingle Arm, until the hit. Swing shoulder forward or slightly left inline with closed stance, not around to right across stance. Lower body needs to stop or slow down rotation to release wide.
Ok, perfect. Things were going really well but I somehow lost the loving feeling of the windmill and pendulum last two rounds- I was thinking this morning the same thing that my forward swing was going more across my body again from old ingrained habit, instead of more forward/left; so good deal.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 308 Times in 185 Posts

SW just posted this new SC video over on another thread (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvbcIv4SqP0#t=11m15s) but it reminded me that when I get the "snap feeling" it's because I've used the parametric acceleration at the correct time.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:11 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 758 Times in 649 Posts

Quote:
If you are hugging yourself, the wrist wants to fly open. If you are hugging the disc with wide upper arm and/or elbow bent leading forward, the wrist will lag back closed until you stop/slow extending your elbow and/or hip rotation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2eWfwpahfk#t=2m10s

Odd thing is I am second guy but I am not doing the one leg part, too much on one leg to do the one leg spin, If I did what the first guy is doing I would have knee pain by the end of a 18 hole round. Also I am not able to do the after disc is tossed arm keep extending or I have shoulder pain on a shoulder that the joint locks up at times, no pain then. Also grip is then an issue if I keep going, the fingers do catch on the disc and drag it off line, I have oddly wide second knuckle joints that hook on the disc.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 08-10-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,826 Times in 1,736 Posts

Dude has some decent disc golf form throwing the chain back, x-steps, keeps the chain relatively still as he moves forward into the plant.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by sidewinder22; 08-16-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 88
Niced 24 Times in 17 Posts

Shouldn’t it be ”... long live the reach around?”

Niced: (2)
Old 08-19-2019, 11:39 PM

Courses Played: 21
Niced 19 Times in 11 Posts

How odd 10 years ago when I said I lost power with the x step I was called crazy
Old 08-20-2019, 11:30 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 128 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewBoy View Post
How odd 10 years ago when I said I lost power with the x step I was called crazy
I won't call you crazy, but I will tell you it's not the x-step's fault. Post a video of yourself in the form analysis section. There are a lot of stages to get through before your x-step adds any power.

I was throwing 400+ before I had form that allowed my x-step to add any momentum.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:48 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 27 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Fwiw..the speed reference to how fast the disc accelerates at the point of the whip is....huge. For lack of a better way to describe it... a disc moving YMS (your max speed) the entire time from start to finish will not go as far as a disc that starts out at zero and accelerates to YMS at the time of the release. Now if you delay that acceleration to YMS right until the whip happens, and at this point you are around 60-80% YMS, and then EXPLODE to YMS at the whip, your disc will go ever further...much further.
From the disc's perspective, it is irrelevant what happened before moment it began moving purely on its own momentum. Ideally, YMS will increase when using a whip-like motion (albeit for a much shorter timespan and hopefully at the moment of release), but the fact that the disc was accelerating up until the moment it was released instead of a constant speed is irrelevant.

Consider this analogy: Two bicyclists are racing using the rule that they cannot pedal once the race has began. Both bicyclists cross the starting line at the same instant in a rolling start with speed 40mph. Previous to crossing the starting line, one bicyclist was traveling a constant 40mph, while the other waited to accelerate to 40mph until the last moment before the starting line.

Would you assume the person who waited until the last moment to accelerate to have some advantage? I wouldn't.