Old 10-11-2019, 12:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 992 Times in 526 Posts

There's no difference for me really. I didn't change clubs often when I golfed - really the only changes I made in the 6 or so years I played alot was picking up some hybrids and messing with different wedges and putters.

Disc golf is the same. Once I started playing more competitevly, I haven't changed my bad much except at need when I lose discs. I've tried a few different discs here and there but my bag has been largely the same for 3-4 years now. At least 6 of my 12-14 have been the exact same disc the entire time - most of the others are at least the same molds.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2019, 12:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 86
Niced 292 Times in 156 Posts

For a while I was playing golf pretty seriously, and was deep into messing around with my setup. Golf probably has way more potential for tinkering for a few reasons.

First- you're limited on how many clubs you can carry. You have to make some decisions on your overall setup. Which combination of long irons, hybrids, and fairway woods? Which combination of wedge lofts? It's not like in disc golf where you can just carry a bigger bag. At a certain point you have to decide which clubs are going to help your game more for the course you're playing, and leave the others home.

Second- each of those clubs can be infinitely tinkered with. Just talking about irons: everyone just thinks of the head geometry (blades, GI, SGI) but there are dozens of different shafts out there and they come in a variety of flexes. You've got length, overall flex, flex profile, static weight, and swing weight to play with. You can bend lofts stronger or weaker. Once you get into wedges you have various levels of bounce and different sole grinds to play with. The clubhead finish can be swapped and there are a million different grips out there. Then how many wraps of tape do you want under them? For your putter, what head size and length do you want? Regular or arm lock? Pistol grip or Superstroke? What kind of sight line? Flat face, deep milled, insert? Sound slot? It goes on and on.

Third- you've got the ball to contend with too. Once you figure out your perfect club setup, you have to find the ball that has the right combination of spin, distance, and feel for your game.

On top of that, golfers have all the same discussions about bags, shoes, and accessories that we do. Probably more because there are a million different training products out there too.

People spend thousands of dollars getting fit, customizing, tweaking. Wash, rinse, repeat just on their drivers alone.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-11-2019, 12:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 554 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
For a while I was playing golf pretty seriously, and was deep into messing around with my setup. Golf probably has way more potential for tinkering for a few reasons.

First- you're limited on how many clubs you can carry. You have to make some decisions on your overall setup. Which combination of long irons, hybrids, and fairway woods? Which combination of wedge lofts? It's not like in disc golf where you can just carry a bigger bag. At a certain point you have to decide which clubs are going to help your game more for the course you're playing, and leave the others home.

Second- each of those clubs can be infinitely tinkered with. Just talking about irons: everyone just thinks of the head geometry (blades, GI, SGI) but there are dozens of different shafts out there and they come in a variety of flexes. You've got length, overall flex, flex profile, static weight, and swing weight to play with. You can bend lofts stronger or weaker. Once you get into wedges you have various levels of bounce and different sole grinds to play with. The clubhead finish can be swapped and there are a million different grips out there. Then how many wraps of tape do you want under them? For your putter, what head size and length do you want? Regular or arm lock? Pistol grip or Superstroke? What kind of sight line? Flat face, deep milled, insert? Sound slot? It goes on and on.

Third- you've got the ball to contend with too. Once you figure out your perfect club setup, you have to find the ball that has the right combination of spin, distance, and feel for your game.

On top of that, golfers have all the same discussions about bags, shoes, and accessories that we do. Probably more because there are a million different training products out there too.

People spend thousands of dollars getting fit, customizing, tweaking. Wash, rinse, repeat just on their drivers alone.
I think one major difference between ball golf and disc golf is that for disc golf, you get to custom select your equipment for each shot. Ball golf you are stuck with the ball you hit off the tee and you are also stuck with the limited clubs in your bag.

Just thinking about balls, there is a pretty wide spectrum from very hot spin reducing single layer balls up to very soft three layer balls designed to spin. Imagine if you could use a Top Flight XL off the tee and swap into a ProV1 around the green; it would be a significant benefit for amateur golfers, but that just cannot happen under the rules. In disc golf, we can effectively do just that, throwing a max speed champ plastic driver, and swapping into a soft plastic putter.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-11-2019, 01:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

On the cost of entry for disc and ball golf:

A lot is made of the prohibitive cost of entry for ball golf. I don't think it is significantly different than disc golf. Let's look at it objectively.

Starter ball golf set:
Used clubs - ~$15 per iron, $45 woods, $35 wedges/putter.
Starter set - 6I-PW, SW, Hybrid wood, Driver, putter = $235 + bag

New disc golf discs - $13 per disc
Complete bag ~ 18 discs = $234 + bag

Golf bags can be cheap or exorbitant for either sport, so that can be a wash. Of course the thing I left out was balls, and as a new golfer this is the thief in the night that can end up costing as much as green fees. I tend to think of balls as a round related cost not an equipment cost so I still think that the equipment costs for ball and disc golf CAN be similar.

Again, this is just equipment, no doubt that ball golf cost per round is huge, both in money and time.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 86
Niced 292 Times in 156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
I think one major difference between ball golf and disc golf is that for disc golf, you get to custom select your equipment for each shot. Ball golf you are stuck with the ball you hit off the tee and you are also stuck with the limited clubs in your bag.

Just thinking about balls, there is a pretty wide spectrum from very hot spin reducing single layer balls up to very soft three layer balls designed to spin. Imagine if you could use a Top Flight XL off the tee and swap into a ProV1 around the green; it would be a significant benefit for amateur golfers, but that just cannot happen under the rules. In disc golf, we can effectively do just that, throwing a max speed champ plastic driver, and swapping into a soft plastic putter.
Yea that's one of my main points, and a huge driver for people to swap around their golf setups. They're not getting enough spin around the green, so they switch to a soft spinny ball. Then they start blasting drives OB, so they go back to something harder and lower-spin. In disc golf you can carry putters for both spin- and push-putts in case the conditions are right for one or the other, or you're just feeling it that day. In golf once you've made your choice, you're stuck until the next round. I feel like it leads to a more constant level of "if I would have just carried that club instead" mentality. People are always chasing something better, but there are so many variables that it's impossible to ever nail it down.

Don't get me wrong, there are a ton of similarities in both sports. Everyone is chasing consistency and longer drives, and everyone likes shiny new things. My disc golf tournament bag stays about 80% set over time, but that other 20% is constantly changing.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
Yea that's one of my main points, and a huge driver for people to swap around their golf setups. They're not getting enough spin around the green, so they switch to a soft spinny ball. Then they start blasting drives OB, so they go back to something harder and lower-spin. In disc golf you can carry putters for both spin- and push-putts in case the conditions are right for one or the other, or you're just feeling it that day. In golf once you've made your choice, you're stuck until the next round. I feel like it leads to a more constant level of "if I would have just carried that club instead" mentality. People are always chasing something better, but there are so many variables that it's impossible to ever nail it down.

Don't get me wrong, there are a ton of similarities in both sports. Everyone is chasing consistency and longer drives, and everyone likes shiny new things. My disc golf tournament bag stays about 80% set over time, but that other 20% is constantly changing.
Yeah my post was in compliment to yours not disagreement

The ProV1 may just be the most dangerous thing to a new ball golfer. Buy a box of those suckers for ~$3 a pop, and BOOM, banana hook / slice them away one by one. All of a sudden your green fees doubled from ProV1's alone.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-11-2019, 01:53 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 61
Niced 134 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:

The two man scrambles I play in, I will hit those harder balls off of drives or trying to reach par 5's in 2, then drop a pro v 1 or pro v 1x for iron shots/chips/putts. But that is ONLY during scrambles. Those Callaway Chrome Softs are also nice around the greens.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 135
Niced 992 Times in 526 Posts

Quote:
On the cost of entry for disc and ball golf:

A lot is made of the prohibitive cost of entry for ball golf. I don't think it is significantly different than disc golf. Let's look at it objectively.

Starter ball golf set:
Used clubs - ~$15 per iron, $45 woods, $35 wedges/putter.
Starter set - 6I-PW, SW, Hybrid wood, Driver, putter = $235 + bag

New disc golf discs - $13 per disc
Complete bag ~ 18 discs = $234 + bag

Golf bags can be cheap or exorbitant for either sport, so that can be a wash. Of course the thing I left out was balls, and as a new golfer this is the thief in the night that can end up costing as much as green fees. I tend to think of balls as a round related cost not an equipment cost so I still think that the equipment costs for ball and disc golf CAN be similar.

Again, this is just equipment, no doubt that ball golf cost per round is huge, both in money and time.
But that's not nearly so equal if we compare new discs to new clubs, which often also require you to pay to have them cut.

You're also comparing a "full bag" of 18 discs to a smaller golf bag of only 9 clubs. Most am golfers have at least 12 clubs.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,819 Times in 1,730 Posts

Who needs clubs?

Old 10-11-2019, 03:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
But that's not nearly so equal if we compare new discs to new clubs, which often also require you to pay to have them cut.

You're also comparing a "full bag" of 18 discs to a smaller golf bag of only 9 clubs. Most am golfers have at least 12 clubs.
My full bag of discs is 21 so

But really, I assume a golfer buying new clubs is at that point an “enthusiast”. And how many disc golf enthusiasts stop at the discs in their bags? I have probably purchased over 500 discs in my lifetime.