Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

View Poll Results: Favorite roc plastic?
Kc Pro 24 37.50%
DX 14 21.88%
Glow DX 2 3.13%
Flat Top Dx 8 12.50%
Flat Top Kc Pro 7 10.94%
other 9 14.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2014, 03:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 312 Times in 160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
FWIW, there are lots of us roc lovers who don't throw the flat tops. I personally like how they fly out of the box, but I don't at all like how they break in. I like rocs with a nice gradual dome, not too flat and not with a giant poppy top.
Agreed. Flat tops seem to get unpredictable when seasoned, whereas a mild dome will be comfortable and have consistent glide and fade through its wear process.

It sounds like you are turned off by the waxy dx that's out there, so I'd say look around at KCs. Even the softest KC feels great by those standards.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2014, 08:17 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 171
Niced 726 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post

I personally dislike flat top Rocs. I don't like any variation of the Roc in Star plastic. The Roc3 is nice but it doesn't fit my game & I don't think it would cycle as well as Ranchos. I like my Rocs with a nice gradual dome like mashnut said. I threw just DX Rocs for a few years but I've been switching over to the KC Pros now. I currently bag one USDGC 04 CE Rancho "Ring of Rocs" Roc, one DX Roc & three 12x KC Rocs. In a couple months the DX Roc will be taken out of my bag & my mid setup will be the one CE & all the rest KC. I feel that KC Rocs are more consistently when it comes to dome & texture than DX Rocs. I play a lot of disc golf so I like the extra durability of the KC Pro also. All my Rocs are max weight.
Yea that 04 is not CE, just letting you know.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:18 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 171
Niced 726 Times in 333 Posts

Also, never really liked the feel of the flat tops. And just like everybody else is saying, they start out nice but done break in well.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser flippin View Post
It sounds like you are turned off by the waxy dx that's out there, so I'd say look around at KCs. Even the softest KC feels great by those standards.
Yeah, waxy, r-pro like, pieces of crap in my opinion. I don't know if it is just certain colors or what, but that does not feel like dx to me. I'll probably just order some kc pro online, and hopefully I can snag one of those dx ones at the tourney tomorrow to start beating in for the time being.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:51 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 17
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just throw a Buzzz I know I am trolling
Old 01-24-2014, 11:05 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codylanser3 View Post
Just throw a Buzzz I know I am trolling
I do throw a buzzz, I have a relatively new pretty pink ti buzzz that is pretty stable and has that lovely and expected fade at the end, I have a two cryztal buzzz (one custom 3 color bob marley dye, and one red one I plan to do a Jordan Jumpman dye on) a lightweight 170 tie dye z-buzzz that I can flip on command, a esp flx buzzz that is dead stinkin straight.

I love the buzzz!!! I just want to give the roc another solid try. Because when I first started playing the Roc was good to me. Very good.

I don't like carrying 2 or 3 buzzz, they are different, but not quite enough. I'm a mold minimalist, and want to throw all Innova. I would love to just have a few Rocs and call it good.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I should have added the poll at the beginning dang it. Vote on my friends, vote on!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2014, 12:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 60
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans 5-8 View Post
If that is the case, I will go back to my Hornet, Buzzz, Meteor combo.
FT Rocs are good as training wheels when you're coming from DC mids. I had some crazy OAT issues w/Rocs(and Comets) that weren't apparent when throwing Buzzzes. They start out with good HSS and light fade, and straighten out quickly. I don't know what happens after that because that's when the local flora conspire to feed them to the Grand River.

Some are concave like a Glo Buzzz, and others have a mild shoulder and flat top. I liked the ones with some shoulder, and I've since moved to stock Rocs.

I've only been throwing them since Spring '13 and was using DC mids before, so that's my experience.

KC Pro feels slick in the winter/cold. I've been melting some snow on my fingers before throwing my KC.

DX feels great in this weather. I got some F2's from MSt for supa cheap. I'm still working my first one that I bagged in Nov.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 52
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I carry 5 to 6 different rocs in the bag at all times...I have two of the KC Glow Replica 10x's in different stages of where (one fresh and one seasoned), my trusty 8x KC Pro that is my bread and butter and a Zone Driven DX Ontario for understable duties. I usually throw my 4X Kenny for overstable duties but I'm trying out the Millenium Sentinel for overstable duties. I took my flat top ching roc out because of the change in seasons as most of my rocs are white. You can not beat the Roc no matter what midrange you are throwing as they can cover every shot in the book, IMHO.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whentherainscome View Post
FT Rocs are good as training wheels when you're coming from DC mids. I had some crazy OAT issues w/Rocs(and Comets) that weren't apparent when throwing Buzzzes.
That's good, bc throwing my buzzz helped me get 30-40 more ft with my teebirds. I just love mids and putters all around.