Old 08-30-2019, 10:51 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,177 Times in 1,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
People will just keep buying them. Discmania collectors are crazy about those cloud breakers. I buy them just to support the pros I like.

I think that’s just the way it is. Maybe next year some of the pros just say, “do mine in regular Star with weight options please, I’m having trouble selling the max weight swirly ones.”
I absolutely do not want to hurt the pros in any way, so I wouldn't want to boycott their tour series discs.

But they're not making Echostar discs because IMHO all that material is going into Swirly Stars so they can be made more cheaply. The pros get a portion of the sales of their TS discs, and that's good. But Innova is trying to make up for their costs by using the cheap material, and while I understand that and it is not wrong, they colors of the discs are .

Ergo, maybe those who know these pros can ask them to have Innova make their discs in findable colors? And maybe we can ask/tell Innova we want better-looking and findable-colored discs so we can buy more of them?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2019, 12:47 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 17
Niced 47 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
But they're not making Echostar discs because IMHO all that material is going into Swirly Stars so they can be made more cheaply.
Word around the rumor mill is that Innova and Discmania are releasing some of their popular "high speed" drivers very soon in Eco-Star plastic

Niced: (1)
Old 08-30-2019, 01:04 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,177 Times in 1,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishballer06 View Post
Word around the rumor mill is that Innova and Discmania are releasing some of their popular "high speed" drivers very soon in Eco-Star plastic
If true, that would be a most very good thing.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 311 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishballer06 View Post
I'm hoping for some eco Teebirds
Old 08-30-2019, 04:12 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 84
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 29 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
But I agree with the sentiments: for the most part they're . And Innova needs to understand that, so contact them and let them know. Otherwise, they will continue shoving that garbage down our throats...
That's the thing though, on this post and from a lot of people I've played with. We all complain about the colours but most of us have at least one of these discs... They unfortunately do sell pretty well.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 2
Niced 420 Times in 309 Posts

I won't touch a swirly disc regardless of manufacturer unless I can see the disc. Last one I got sight unseen wasn't too bad, but that was a '17 Jermbird and it was a blue/grey and orange swirl. Looked awesome, but wasn't the flight I wanted. I've since only bought 1 other TS from them and that was a nice looking Sexybird I picked up secondhand. I definitely agree that DC's TS and swirl discs look much better as I've bought over 10 of them (6 were misprint Kongs, sight unseen) and have been able to throw all but 1 of them, with the 1 being a brown/blue swirl that looks awesome, but also super easy to lose.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 586 Times in 430 Posts

yeah Swirly Star/S-Line discs are a fail - they almost all come out a muddy chuddy color and not only are they not appealing but difficult to see in the wild. So yeah, Discraft amazingly did the swirl WELL and Trilogy is legit with its swirl and now MVP, Streamline has excellent plastic and swirls/colors. So ....Innova/Discmania -step it up! ALSO, figure out how to NOT have flashing on every new disc I buy, its getting annoying and my fingertips don't appreciate it.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:22 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 177 Times in 96 Posts

Did someone say camo?

https://www.sunkingdiscs.com/innova-...ning-star.html
Old 09-02-2019, 06:19 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 756 Times in 647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
yeah Swirly Star/S-Line discs are a fail - they almost all come out a muddy chuddy color and not only are they not appealing but difficult to see in the wild. So yeah, Discraft amazingly did the swirl WELL and Trilogy is legit with its swirl and now MVP, Streamline has excellent plastic and swirls/colors. So ....Innova/Discmania -step it up! ALSO, figure out how to NOT have flashing on every new disc I buy, its getting annoying and my fingertips don't appreciate it.
That or oops discs that should be misprint or better yet scrapped due to how messed up they are yet still get sent out anyhow. I think that Star has some Factory Second. My last of the Star I got for a Shark no flight numbers is almost like G-Star flex with enough Star to it to not have the grip that G-Star has in most runs, almost like the disc got overdone and left in for another set of baking. And Flashing, that has been a problem with Star in some batches for a long time, my first Star Shark no flight numbers had so much flashing the disc was unable to be used for more then an approach disc until I was playing on a day that wind warning went out and I had to use the Star Shark disc as a windy day putter.

Also it seems that players other then the top single male at Innova are forced to use swirl star when they want to use regular Star or they want to use Pro plastic but again end up with swirled plastic for that as well, older Pro Destroyers that were Philo model come to mind. A few players at the right levels are lucky and get Shimmer Star or Luster Champion for the disc.

If I were pro with Innova at the right levels for Innova I would ask for a Pro Shark to be made as my disc with the old original 1986-early 2000's DX logo so as to have higher weights for the Star Shark then 167 gram factory second molds.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 09-02-2019 at 06:24 AM.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:52 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 24 Times in 17 Posts

One other consideration is the fact that manufacturers are now telling us that they are adding "natural swirls" to their discs. For instance, the MVP announcement about the molds going OOP included specific language about Neutron blends with more naturally-occurring swirls (it's an artificial process, so this is a bit silly). So, as others have argued in this thread, what was once a factory second is now a premium product.

Finally, I am alarmed at the price increases. Even retailers I love are hiking up prices to $29 on "tour series" discs and other "limited runs." I worry that this might become a new normal since people buy all of the high-price discs.

We are feeding the beast. I am guilty. I will stop.

Niced: (2)