Old 03-16-2018, 02:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,822 Times in 1,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
The brace should not feel like an impact.
Mmm... you need to brace your posture for a sudden impact/weightshift from behind you. You should feel a ground reaction force bounce through your posture, and then when you settle it you can clear/pivot your hips/body out of the way of arm/disc swing momentum and accelerate via changing direction of your body's momentum from linear to rotational.

You don't want to feel like your brace just stops or slows your body's momentum, but should feel it smoothly changing/pivoting your body direction from linear to rotational to accelerate the arm/disc forward/linear and give it more heavy momentum to swing past your body. You should feel that heavy momentum of the swing trying to pull you through the shoulder socket from your center out of posture toward the target and being braced against the front leg you feel pinned to it with all that centrifugal force like you get pinned to the wall in a gravitron ride and make a funny face. I sometimes get whipped so hard rotationally after release that snot literally flies out my nose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CSHqnYNijw&t=1m30s

Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-16-2018, 02:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,593 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
You don't want to feel like your brace just stops or slows your body's momentum, but should feel it smoothly changing/pivoting your body direction from linear to rotational to accelerate the arm/disc forward/linear and give it more heavy momentum to swing past your body.
This is more what I was meaning, going from how his form is at right now. I definitely agree with all you've posted...was just trying to say that he shouldn't be trying to brace to stop his forward momentum/prevent tipping, rather momentum will be redirected in balance. It certainly won't feel painful/impacting on the lead hip or knee like it does now.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
This is more what I was meaning, going from how his form is at right now. I definitely agree with all you've posted...was just trying to say that he shouldn't be trying to brace to stop his forward momentum/prevent tipping, rather momentum will be redirected in balance. It certainly won't feel painful/impacting on the lead hip or knee like it does now.
Right, I figured that's what you meant, just clarifying that impact happens from behind you or closed and gives you space to open up. Like you were saying before, it's when you try to brace from in front of you/open that impact hurts because there is no where to clear the hips/body out of the way and everything jams up and stops.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:10 AM
Par Member

Niced 20 Times in 15 Posts

So much information I probably have to come back to them hundred times, thanks guys!

Did ~200 repetations of one leg drill today, felt quite good, not sure is it right.

Heres the footage:

Front:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNy6bdRTU6Y

Back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlFP2APMJoA
Old 03-16-2018, 12:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Watch your disc. You are turning your head and shoulders way open too quick. Slow down and elongate your swing back and forth, I'd recommend turning your rear foot completely backward to the target and letting a little weight go back into it, so your hips/pelvis can move a little back and forth like you can see when I do it my hips make a lateral move still. Also try swinging something heavy like a hammer and make the swing longer and smoother.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Yeah your disconnected head movement may lead right back to the push forward/overtop thing when swinging off both feet. Turn the head with shoulders/spine on balance. Don't think about looking where you will backswing or where you will throw, just keep the head in balance as you are throwing.

It looks way less strenuous on your leg/knee already.

Edit: A little lateral weight movement at the pelvis/lower spine like SW22 described will really help. That way you won't move/tilt your upper spine to try to start momentum. Feel free to have a bit of weight on the back foot for stability. The one leg drill will transition into a standstill which transitions into a step, which transitions into an X-step. Not that you have to do all these steps inbetween....I'm just saying the point is to be able to throw in a smooth X-step by the end so feel free to have some weight on the back foot when setting up.

Last edited by slowplastic; 03-16-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:39 PM
Par Member

Oh yea if I tried to strike a ball with that kind of head movement, I'd miss it for sure.

Knee felt good now, was sore from yesterdays throwing but todays drill felt healthy for it. Owe you guys one knee.

That plan of going from one leg -> standstill -> one step -> x-step sounds wise, gonna have to take baby steps with this project. Only now realised how hard it actually is to achieve that "dynamically balanced" throw with x-step.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
Oh yea if I tried to strike a ball with that kind of head movement, I'd miss it for sure.

Knee felt good now, was sore from yesterdays throwing but todays drill felt healthy for it. Owe you guys one knee.

That plan of going from one leg -> standstill -> one step -> x-step sounds wise, gonna have to take baby steps with this project. Only now realised how hard it actually is to achieve that "dynamically balanced" throw with x-step.
Glad it feels easier on the leg.

If you want to do the steps along the way go for it, but don't avoid throwing with the X-step until other things feel perfect. Try going back and forth. I threw standstill for so long while I was working on form, and it took me months to feel confident with an X-step. The more back and forth you do the more you'll learn how to maintain balance between the different types of throws. In reality it's all the same thing, just the one leg throw you are pretty much vertical and every other step along the way just adds a little more momentum so you have to be dynamically angled inside the plant leg. The harder you can throw from standstill the less likely you will want to take huge X-steps, and if you tip over or smash into the front leg on the X-step throw you'll know that it doesn't feel the same as a one leg when the hip clears without pain.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-19-2018, 04:12 PM
Par Member

Not very good place to throw from, but best I could find for now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2UtlGWzzCg

Head seems to be bit better under control, other than that I don't know. Should probably do as SW suggested and slow down while working on timing.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:28 AM
* Ace Member *

You aren't really turning back enough or leading with your hips/butt forward enough. You kind of just lean back and forth over top your hips instead of really turning inside your posture. Your head/upper body is trying to lead your backswing, instead of your feet turning your body/head - keep your eyes on your disc/swing, you should feel everything moving more together and fluid.

You are also bending your wrist/disc way down off plane to the arm.

Note how my front heel is airborne/weightless and my hips have strided forward away from the rear foot with shoulder and arm pulled back taut. Note how your front heel is flat on ground with weight on both feet as you haven't strided/lead the hips forward away from your rear foot, and your right shoulder is not turned back past the left shoulder. This is the Door Frame or Tug of War or Transition Position from backswing to forward swing:

Watch these several times and do everything SC does: