Old 01-12-2019, 08:30 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,177 Times in 1,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Not true, I knew switching from old hard Pro D Magnet to the Softer Jawbreaker was the right move though I still have the Hard disc in my bag for if the weather is making the Jawbreaker plastic too sticky, the only flaw it has.
What did I say that was not true? (Answer: nothing)

And what you're saying is apples-and-oranges to what I was saying.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2019, 09:57 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 756 Times in 647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
I think Moose said it correctly on the first page of the thread. "Grabby" or "sticky" is the wrong thing to think about. If you watch slow motion video, the chains are always going to rebound off the disc because it's flying too fast for stickiness to make any difference.

A disc that's really flexible might not bounce back or cut through as much. And something lighter is going to require less chains to arrest its momentum. So if you really want to putt with a 150 class super flexible putter, it MIGHT stick in the basket on bad putts more often. But no one wants to do that. So pick a putter that gives you a good putting release and worry about hitting your target rather than worrying about poor putts staying in.
Another reason to have a heavier putter is it will cut through the chains better if you putt better. I have seen this with a player who used to use 135-140 gram DX Polecats before finding the max weight soft X Putt'r and using them only after the disc got slightly broken in with the mini concave the disc then gets as the glide was gone so she could spin putt the disc right to the basket. Anyhow she would have the 140 and lower gram DX Polecats would bounce off chains of the Mach III with old basket catcher and really be affected by any wind over 12 mph and that happens a lot in norther plains states and Minnesota.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 3
Niced 148 Times in 81 Posts

This has been one of the more interesting threads on this forum. I'm about a 5 year player and still struggle to find the best putter. I love to experiment and have have come to understand that it's more about the thrower than the disc. I just have to avoid tacky discs on humid days.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 202 Times in 141 Posts

Here is what I have observed over the years..

Back in the day most of the pros wanted a hard smooth plastic for their putter..

Today it seems to be unchanged..

As heat and humidity builds this becomes really important.. and is reversed in colder wetter conditions.

On wet and cold days I've seen putts slither through the chains more so than when a warm putter hits and absorbs a bit

Spin putters benefit from plastic that grabs cause the disc is often still spinning when the chains absorb it. The grabbing action is friction between chain and putter a good thing.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-17-2019, 11:43 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 23
Niced 208 Times in 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth View Post
Here is what I have observed over the years..

Back in the day most of the pros wanted a hard smooth plastic for their putter..

Today it seems to be unchanged..

As heat and humidity builds this becomes really important.. and is reversed in colder wetter conditions.

On wet and cold days I've seen putts slither through the chains more so than when a warm putter hits and absorbs a bit

Spin putters benefit from plastic that grabs cause the disc is often still spinning when the chains absorb it. The grabbing action is friction between chain and putter a good thing.
True. I am a spin putter and DX putters seem to blow through the chains easier, but R-Pro was like a fly in a fly trap.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 755 Times in 527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniger View Post
Putt with a Gumbputt. Case closed.

Yes, it grabs chains better. Yes, it is floppy trash that is impossible to put any power into.

Bottom line, I use stiff putters and don't rely on a single link getting caught up in rubber. Aim small, folks.
Yup if there was any quandary as to whether this is myth, placebo or truth get a Gumbputt or Blowfly and give it a go. I've seen more crappy putts stick with those than anything else. I've seen them grab one outside link and drop.

I play with two guys that are very proficient with them one dude uses them for 200' in.. I tried throwing them for a while especially on steep sidehills, but I can't putt as well with them so I gave em up.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 65
Niced 122 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
Not scientific, but I notice very real differences between hard/soft and slick/grippy putters. A hard/slick putter will have less play from the chains. This means that Brooklyn putts stick better, while pro side putts stick worse.

I think weight plays into this as well. For a bit I putter with a 150g soft Voodoo that would grab even a millimeter of chains on the pro side and land in the basket.
I agree, specifically for a spin putt. Weak side is quite weak for me cause the disc seems to spin out of the chains more. This is more of an issue right now putting with a soft old proto wizard than it was putting emac mercys