Old 08-15-2019, 03:44 PM
Par Member

Niced 23 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
[/URL]
This video makes ALL sorts of sense now to me!!! And I think I can make the mental connection between Shawn doing that drill with the heavy hammer and the actual disc golf swing. Same as HUBs heavy rock/basketball underhand toss drill! I really need to find a huge rock or something like this and practice this drill over and over, really get this pump feeling down! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2019, 04:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,819 Times in 1,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWookie
But now that you mention Eagle, and even Simon is similar, how do they pump horizontally? Both of them are VERY smooth and kind of creeping up to the throw with pretty bent knees the entire time, only barely straightening their front knee's at the hit. So how do they "pump" the swing horizontally?
Depends on the shot, but...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 2.53.32 PM.jpg (53.4 KB, 82 views)
Old 08-15-2019, 05:02 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Depends on the shot, but...
What I was saying is that they both run/move up to the hit like a crouching Tiger or something. They both stay pretty low and with bent knees and usually don't have a big tall X step hop a la GG. And that you don't see them straightening UP as much as some other throwers. But yeah, depends on the throw. This throw is a great example of how Simon "usually" throws. Not a lot of up and down like a GG.
https://youtu.be/dORaht7U7HI?t=1490

But can you explain HOW they pump horizontally? I don't follow that at all. I'm totally understanding the vertical aspect (which to be honest from all the reading of different posts and articles seems like the best way to throw far), but not understanding the horizontal pump of Eagle you mentioned. Can you explain how they do that? Thanks
Old 08-15-2019, 05:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWookie View Post
What I was saying is that they both run/move up to the hit like a crouching Tiger or something. They both stay pretty low and with bent knees and usually don't have a big tall X step hop a la GG. And that you don't see them straightening UP as much as some other throwers. But yeah, depends on the throw. This throw is a great example of how Simon "usually" throws. Not a lot of up and down like a GG.
https://youtu.be/dORaht7U7HI?t=1490

But can you explain HOW they pump horizontally? I don't follow that at all. I'm totally understanding the vertical aspect (which to be honest from all the reading of different posts and articles seems like the best way to throw far), but not understanding the horizontal pump of Eagle you mentioned. Can you explain how they do that? Thanks
Having long legs helps cover distance.

To pump more horizontally than vertically your CoG has to further behind your front foot to remain in dynamic balance to the angle of your front leg. IMO it takes more effort to stay more horizontal, but in theory potentially might keep more force going into the direction of the trajectory vs vectored off, although GG doesn't seem to have any issue with that.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:43 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 211 Times in 161 Posts

SW, what makes GG throw so far? What is he doing that much better than some of the other top guys?
Old 08-15-2019, 09:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
SW, what makes GG throw so far? What is he doing that much better than some of the other top guys?
He definitely has the biggest rear arm counter swim move and the widest arm at release from swing center.
He uses gravity and pendulum motion and his balance/posture and weightshift so efficiently.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-15-2019, 10:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,593 Times in 1,648 Posts

I've noticed McBeth on short shots a lot of times keep a very bent knee and kind of keep turning through the shot, rather than extending the plant leg to clear the hips and anchor himself as in his drives. Does that sound about right for what he's doing in this short upshot at 28:37, like a way of powering down by not using his body as much but still feeling like he's doing a higher % power swing?

https://youtu.be/oyCv_X57-IE?t=1717
Old 08-15-2019, 11:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I've noticed McBeth on short shots a lot of times keep a very bent knee and kind of keep turning through the shot, rather than extending the plant leg to clear the hips and anchor himself as in his drives. Does that sound about right for what he's doing in this short upshot at 28:37, like a way of powering down by not using his body as much but still feeling like he's doing a higher % power swing?

https://youtu.be/oyCv_X57-IE?t=1717
It is basically a powered down drive as he barely turns back in the backswing which is distance control and looser grip. The sequence is the same as his drives, looks like his hips/shoulders slow/stop rotating before release, but are continuing forward which may appear like rotation.
Bent knee provides stability/balance especially when going slow and swinging forward over the front foot.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
Quote:
He definitely has the biggest rear arm counter swim move and the widest arm at release from swing center.
He uses gravity and pendulum motion and his balance/posture and weightshift so efficiently.
You can put your cursor on GG's butt and see the pressure against the glass or wall as described like textbook in these vids in the Hips thread and rear foot kicks the wall like in Butt Wipe. Crushes the can, head moves with body and disc, both shoulders rotate forward centered over front foot a la Swivel Chair Drill. His CoG and disc are diverging forward wider right and left "V" like the parting of the Red Sea.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=133543

Old 08-17-2019, 06:31 PM
Par Member

So it finally happened!!! A large breakthrough throwing session and it was so great! I had already felt something a little different when I was on vacation a few weeks ago, but I didn't think much of it. The results were barely better than what had been going on for about a month.

But this time, it just started happening and I was throwing much farther and much more accurately! It was incredible. I've watched the videos now and it's funny, it doesn't look like a whole lot has changed, but the feeling and results have, so I'm super happy. And guess who I have to thank?

Slowplastic, SW22 and HUB! All of their tireless efforts and teaching is finally sinking in.

So a few of the things I decided I was going to do going forward was to stop trying all sorts of different ways to throw. I feel like I'm past needing to try every single way to throw, and need to just pick one way to throw, go with it, and see if I can get it to work. So who better to chose as a role model to copy? SW and his pendulum swing.

I've been reading soooo many threads in the Form section, and I keep seeing GG and a few other pros who hop more vertically and have more of a pendulum swing as opposed to a more horizontal swing. So I decided to try incorporating the pendulum X step Hammer throw idea that SW video shows, but with the disc. I tried it first with my hammer and it felt so perfectly IN TIME and RIGHT that I knew I had to try it with discs.

So I did yesterday and it was such a great help! I instantly was throwing my mids around 280 on avg with good ones around 300. My previous throws with mids were in the 250-280 on good throws, so a good jump in distance. Plus, they were so much more accurate, and I could more or less throw them where I wanted and on lines I wanted! I was throwing flat, low, high, hyzers, and even some slow turn anhyzers! I was FINALLY having fun and throwing these silly discs more how I thought they should be flying. My FD's that normally go 280-310 were going 310-330 almost every throw. And then near the end of my session, I busted out a few of my control drivers to see if I could get 360 or farther and I did!!! I was throwing them 360-380 when I really did well, which I've never thrown that far before. And it didn't feel that hard. I did have to concentrate harder on everything, but when I did, it didn't feel like I had to give 100% to get that distance. More like 90%.

And on my last two throws before I had to leave, I threw my Axiom Prism Insanity 390-395'!!!! It was magnificent, haha. I was so psyched and happy. All this hard work and reading forever had finally paid off!

It's funny, as soon as I started recording my throws, I started throwing a lot worse. Must be nervous or something, haha. But these throws I'm posting were probably the avg. I had quite a few more that were much better, and of course about a 1/4 of the throws were worse. I still am sometimes pulling DEAD right every so often and it just confuses me as it doesn't feel any different. I was also really thinking about aligning my whole body more to the left, to aim about 25-30* left of my intended flight path. And no sh*t, I sort of grip locked them a little more, and the disc just jumped out of my hand. It feels like I pulled it, but because of where I was aiming, the disc comes out straight and those were my farthest throws! And I just read a thread somewhere that SW I'm sure posted for me to read, that literally was just talking about this. It had a bunch of photos of pros and of course Simon, and when you really look at how far left they aim, it all makes sense now. Coming into the hit more closed, not striding left, but straight down a line (but that line is 25-30* diagonal of the intended disc path), and then throwing what feels like a pull, but is actually a great throw. It feels like the disc leverages out of my hand much harder when I threw like that. And obviously my farther throws were when I really concentrated on lining up more like that, and really gripping a little harder right when it feels like it's about to leave my hand. It was amazing.

My last throw was with a disc I NEVER throw (my champ Krait), and it was insanely powerful. I had been kind of lazy on the setup and forgot to aim that 25-30* left. So I was aiming maybe 5-10* left. And I threw it so hard and really held on to it late, and it just rocketed out of my hand, got up to about 30-40' in the air on the right side of the field and was definitely going to go just as far or farther than the Insanity throw I had just made. But it went right into a tree branch way up in the air, and that tree was only 20 yards short of the endzone. And when it hit, it CLANKED into the tree so hard I heard it like it was right next to me and it dropped down fast. It was on pace for 400 or more! So just a really really great day and so much fun, and my first real huge breakthrough! My first goal (throw a disc a full football field from FG to FG 360') I set for myself has been accomplished, and I'm quickly moving on to the next goals I had set for myself (throw my mids 360' and with accuracy and FW's 400+).

Can't thank everyone enough, especially SlowPlastic and SW. I have had a million conversations with SP and quite a few with SW as well, and it's finally starting to sink in and turn into actual results. And I think just simplifying the throwing motion and worrying about all the details is making a huge difference. I still have a long way to go, but I feel like I'm finally on my way to throwing well!