Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 04-26-2016, 02:05 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts
Question Are RPM discs out of New Zealand legit (PDGA approved)?

There's a brand out of New Zealand called "RPM" that is starting to make it's way into Canada, and I recently picked up an intriguing mid of theirs called the Piwakawaka from a local who visited NZ. A bit of digging and they come up as available at in the USA as well: http://www.gottagogottathrow.com/discs/rpm.html

As you can see from the picture, the Piwakawaka has "PDGA approved" right in the stamp. However, when I look up the disc on the PDGA approved disc list (http://www.pdga.com/documents/pdga-approved-discs), nothing from RPM is in the list. I wanted to see the approved max weight because the discs are very heavy, some get up to 185 though I opted for 180.

Are there circumstances under which the disc can be PDGA approved but not in the list?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2016, 02:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,337 Times in 2,293 Posts

Maybe its another companies mold with a new name on it?
Old 04-26-2016, 02:35 PM
Big Country

Years Playing: 28.5
Niced 198 Times in 113 Posts

TeMoko used to be a brand called Aoeteora. It was PDGA approved and pretty fun to throw.

No idea if they changed the company name or just aold the mold though
Old 04-27-2016, 02:22 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 63
Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

So I'll just document here what I learned so that if someone comes across this thread in a search, it's complete:

I spoke to the PDGA technical committee as well as RPM discs, and there seemed to be a misunderstanding. RPM used to be called "Disc Golf Aoeteora" (as Andy noted) and the Piwakawaka used to be called the "Arcturus". The Arcturus is PDGA approved, however the gentleman from the PDGA noted that a name change required a mold re-certification unless the new name still contains the old name. RPM didn't know this, and so in fact the Piwakawaka is not PDGA legal at this time, even though they believed it to be so, along with their other discs.

Hopefully, they'll act quickly to remedy this, however the person I spoke to from RPM (via their facebook page) was very non-committal about that and became unresponsive once I think the PDGA had gotten in touch with them about the matter (which the PDGA rep mentioned during our conversation he intended to do). Until that point, I think the person I was speaking to from RPM didn't believe me when I told them about the need to recertify, and then it hit them.

It's interesting to me because RPM are actively sponsoring players who are playing in (and recently winning, according to their facebook page) PDGA sanctioned events in New Zealand / Australia. Presumably, while throwing their not PDGA certified discs. I'm not sure if that would potentially have consequences... and if it potentially could, who would force the issue. But I think it explains why they won't respond to my questions about if and when they plan to PDGA certify the discs under their new names.

/thread

Last edited by stratedge; 04-27-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 49
Niced 475 Times in 317 Posts

Way to go, causin' the Kiwis problems!
Old 04-27-2016, 02:49 PM
Big Country

Years Playing: 28.5
Niced 198 Times in 113 Posts

I just want to point out that I spelled Aoeteora off the top of my head without looking it up. This may be my proudest internet moment.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-27-2016, 03:04 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 123
Niced 241 Times in 94 Posts

Anyone that owns a Piwakawaka, just cross that name out and write on the top of the disc "Arcturus." Boom. Problem solved.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:13 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkgreen View Post
Anyone that owns a Piwakawaka, just cross that name out and write on the top of the disc "Arcturus." Boom. Problem solved.
I was just thinking that what if you just wipe the stamp off?

If it's the same disc that was approved, who could tell which one it is? It also raises a question whether the stamp should be recognizable on a PDGA approved disc if the name truly does matter.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 49.9
Courses Played: 4
Niced 167 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaques View Post
I was just thinking that what if you just wipe the stamp off?

If it's the same disc that was approved, who could tell which one it is? It also raises a question whether the stamp should be recognizable on a PDGA approved disc if the name truly does matter.
Some companies are addressing the stamp issue by including the name in the mold. Discraft, Trilogy, I think Vibram, all do this. IMO, as the sport grows, having the name molded on the disc makes it seem more legit.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:32 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

So a different name on the same disc is a problem, but a different mold with an approved discs name on it is okay? Totally makes sense...