Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 12-07-2018, 03:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.7
Niced 401 Times in 190 Posts

I have both Z and Big Z. I like Z better because it is more overstable.
I throw a little further than you based on your description above, so the extra stability is welcome.
For reference... I nearly aced a 430' slightly downhill basket (throws like 380'?). The X Undertaker went 6" directly above the basket and sailed into the hillside behind the basket.

I have ESP but didn't like it as much as the Z or X. It was in between the two for stability so it didn't really have a slot in my bag. Its still a good disc, I just didn't have a need for it. If you like ESP plastic but not Z, then ESP can replace Z at the cost of a little overstability.

Sorry, I have never thrown the Ledgestone Glo. F. Howl will have some good insight on that one. She says it is more overstable so I'd take her insight on that one.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2018, 03:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 172 Times in 115 Posts

My most [overstable]stable Undy is a flat FRZ. Ledgy glo Z will be a little more stable than a normal Z. FRZs, my fav, fly straight to OS. Production Zs and ESPs will fly by the numbers. Xs are flippy. For a consistent OS undy, go TI.

If you bag a sidewinder, I’d recommend pairing Ti and ESP (or Z, but they don’t beat in.... like, ever...) as a pair. Maybe add the Z in the middle of them...

I squeeze 2 to 4 Undys between my felons and a heat in a full bag.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 673 Times in 486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbultman View Post
-Z or Big Z what’s the difference in stability?
-Is the ESP stability between the Z and X? Or Z and ledgestone glo?
Big Z is a tick less stable than Z. ESP is the Discraft equivalent to Star plastic. IME the Discraft plastics go something like this: Pro D< softX<JB<X<ESP<Glo ESP<Big Z<Z<Crystal Z<sparkle Z<Z this is the way I think that Discraft says their plastics go in stability. I personally have had big Z that was far less stable than my ESP of the same mold. So there are exceptions always.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:48 PM
Par Member

Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
Big Z is a tick less stable than Z. ESP is the Discraft equivalent to Star plastic. IME the Discraft plastics go something like this: Pro D< softX<JB<X<ESP<Glo ESP<Big Z<Z<Crystal Z<sparkle Z<Z this is the way I think that Discraft says their plastics go in stability. I personally have had big Z that was far less stable than my ESP of the same mold. So there are exceptions always.
About ti?
Old 12-07-2018, 07:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 12
Niced 598 Times in 308 Posts

Of the Undies I've thrown I've found the following:

Color glo Z - very OS, had one and traded it since that's not what I was looking for.

First Run Z - S/OS, seems Teebird3ish to me. I have several and this is one I'd consider bagging next to my FDs.

Ti, Z, and ESP all seem relatively close from my sample of one each. Mild turn, mild fade with Ti maybe a touch more stable and ESP a touch less.

Big Z - seemed pretty flippy from my sample of one.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
About ti?
Forgive me Ti slides in just after Z. Remember this is all just my experience.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:41 PM
Par Member

Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
Forgive me Ti slides in just after Z. Remember this is all just my experience.
Just another post to clarify because I’m not familiar with discraft plastics...
-You mention the crystal Z, is that the cryZtal plastic? Is that for all discs or just the undertaker?
- does the jawbreaker plastic stick and not skip?
-how’s the durability of the ti, z and esp? Do they keep or lose their stability?

How far do you throw a disc like the undertaker? For comparison
Thanks!!!
Old 12-07-2018, 09:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
-You mention the crystal Z, is that the cryZtal plastic? Is that for all discs or just the undertaker?
-how’s the durability of the ti, z and esp? Do they keep or lose their stability?

Thanks!!!
-CryZtal=Crystal Z.
-JB is sticky ONE
-I haven't thrown an undertaker a while lot but I'll say it's somewhere between my FD and my beat up MOLF. I throw those 300'-320' when I'm throwing clean.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:25 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 87
Niced 73 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:

Thanks!!!
Most of the time the Cryztal and Glo Z plastic are more stable than the same disc in Z. The Cryztal Sparkle Z Undertakers were a run for the 2017 Ledgestone Open. Each year the Ledgestone gets Discraft to run a number of special discs for fundraisers. The special discs change from year to year. One of the 2016 Ledgestone discs was a Glo Z Undertaker. The Glo Undertaker, CryZtal Sparkle Z and the First Run Z are considered the most stable of the Undertakers.

I only throw Jawbreaker plastic in putters myself. It will still skip, but does seem to sit a little more than Z.

Ti and Z are both very durable plastics. They will keep their stability a long time. I have a year old TI Undertaker in my bag and it still flies like it was new. The ESP and Big Z (mix of Z and ESP) are a little less durable so they will loose their stability a little quicker. Pro D, X, and Jawbreaker are not very durable so they will season and lose stability the quickest of any Discraft plastic.

Niced: (1)

Old 12-09-2018, 06:22 PM
Par Member

Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmatt17073 View Post
Most of the time the Cryztal and Glo Z plastic are more stable than the same disc in Z. The Cryztal Sparkle Z Undertakers were a run for the 2017 Ledgestone Open. Each year the Ledgestone gets Discraft to run a number of special discs for fundraisers. The special discs change from year to year. One of the 2016 Ledgestone discs was a Glo Z Undertaker. The Glo Undertaker, CryZtal Sparkle Z and the First Run Z are considered the most stable of the Undertakers.

I only throw Jawbreaker plastic in putters myself. It will still skip, but does seem to sit a little more than Z.

Ti and Z are both very durable plastics. They will keep their stability a long time. I have a year old TI Undertaker in my bag and it still flies like it was new. The ESP and Big Z (mix of Z and ESP) are a little less durable so they will loose their stability a little quicker. Pro D, X, and Jawbreaker are not very durable so they will season and lose stability the quickest of any Discraft plastic.

Any suggestions on weight? Or normal weights I throw for fairways?