Old 05-18-2018, 05:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 472 Times in 370 Posts
Default Beating the hell out of an Ape

Anyone ever used a champion Ape to the point that it loses some stability? I found a really beat Ape in a lake last week. Probably like 5/10 condition.

Interesting thing is, it bombs pretty nice. It still has a pretty commanding late fade, but it also has some high speed turn. Not as glidey or long as a Boss, but it flew for me like a juiced up XCaliber. Big, long S curves with significant fade. Great disc to lay into anny and watch it flex out reliably.

Apes turn into very manageable, long drivers when they get beat. I've thrown new Apes that were serious overstable hogs. Like faster Firebirds.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Twmccoy; 05-18-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,849 Times in 1,229 Posts

Discs that spend some significant time underwater fly better. I don't know why, but they always fly awesome after you fish them out.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-18-2018, 06:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 226 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Discs that spend some significant time underwater fly better. I don't know why, but they always fly awesome after you fish them out.
It's because the disc has spent his liquid detention pondering the life choices that placed it there. They nearly always straighten up and do better, after some punishment.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 170 Times in 119 Posts

One of the first discs I bought was a Champ Ape that was a ridiculous meat-hook for my power. Bought a DX Ape when they came out, ad it was flippy as all getout.

Found a Blizzard Ape the was somewhere in between.

Champ Ape is a very power-hungry disc. I can't imagine a heavy Champ Ape being under-stable. Straight maybe.

Pure conjecture from a rubber arm.

BTW your thread title sounds like a great substitute for human fighting shows. I'd root for the Ape
Old 05-18-2018, 07:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
One of the first discs I bought was a Champ Ape that was a ridiculous meat-hook for my power. Bought a DX Ape when they came out, ad it was flippy as all getout.

Found a Blizzard Ape the was somewhere in between.

Champ Ape is a very power-hungry disc. I can't imagine a heavy Champ Ape being under-stable. Straight maybe.

Pure conjecture from a rubber arm.

BTW your thread title sounds like a great substitute for human fighting shows. I'd root for the Ape
I haven't really messed with Apes much. I threw a new champion when they first came out and it was a super pig. This one I just found was more of a straight driver. Actually it reminded me of a faster Destroyer.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 52
Niced 2,578 Times in 1,399 Posts

Paging Mr Moose...
Old 05-18-2018, 11:22 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 686 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Paging Mr Moose...
You rang?

I have owned many Champ and other Apes. There are 3 main flavors in the wild as far as champs go;

The first are the wild ones with little to know flashing, high PLH and a small dome that doesn’t pop. These start out like a fresh flat Firebird, but longer with a bit more glide. These were the early ones for the most part and lost desireable. They can be beat into absolute bombers and can be thrown flat with a hint of turn and keep some fade. That’s at 450 feet of power.

The second are the ones that came after, very similar but lower PLH. These can be squirrely and are the least desirable IMO. Sometimes the are puddle topped resulting inexplicably in a disc that has a lot of turn, still a lot of fade and very little glide. No me gusta.

The current ones are easy to spot, they have the disc golf only tooling on the flight plate, a good bit of flashing, usually bubbles in the rim at any weight and start out possibly the most OS. These fee less sleek and bigger in the hand but throw pretty well. If you leave the flashing you can have a good headwind or flex bomber for a long time.

Sand off the flashing and it’s like a slightly less good feeling version of the first ones.

Or you can buy a Star Ape and it’s a bomber in about 6 months. Flippy ish in a year.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-18-2018, 11:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 24
Niced 587 Times in 245 Posts

I played a random dubs match with a guy one time that could overhand an Ape about 425' that was the one and only time I've seen one throw seriously and it was freaking impressive.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
You rang?

I have owned many Champ and other Apes. There are 3 main flavors in the wild as far as champs go;

The first are the wild ones with little to know flashing, high PLH and a small dome that doesn’t pop. These start out like a fresh flat Firebird, but longer with a bit more glide. These were the early ones for the most part and lost desireable. They can be beat into absolute bombers and can be thrown flat with a hint of turn and keep some fade. That’s at 450 feet of power.

The second are the ones that came after, very similar but lower PLH. These can be squirrely and are the least desirable IMO. Sometimes the are puddle topped resulting inexplicably in a disc that has a lot of turn, still a lot of fade and very little glide. No me gusta.

The current ones are easy to spot, they have the disc golf only tooling on the flight plate, a good bit of flashing, usually bubbles in the rim at any weight and start out possibly the most OS. These fee less sleek and bigger in the hand but throw pretty well. If you leave the flashing you can have a good headwind or flex bomber for a long time.

Sand off the flashing and it’s like a slightly less good feeling version of the first ones.

Or you can buy a Star Ape and it’s a bomber in about 6 months. Flippy ish in a year.
Nice overview. This Ape I threw today felt like a faster, longer XCal. It would hold flat for a good while (while actually turning a bit) before fading pretty hard. I was probably throwing it a touch over 400'. I won't call it a super bomber driver, but it was one I could throw very hard flat and know what it would do. Very accurate and reliable.

No bubbles in the plastic anywhere. Good, clear champion plastic. I personally don't care for Innova's champion discs with bubbles in the plastic.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:44 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 686 Times in 475 Posts

It was probably one of the good older ones then. I really like those. Getting harder to find.