Old 01-11-2019, 01:49 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 143 Times in 74 Posts

One thing I will say in terms of mental game that I think is crucial in golf or DG is to leave your doubt behind.

You have to KNOW you're going to make that 30' putt. Doubting yourself and your abilities can lead to hesitation, which can in turn lead to bad shots. I feel like when players start to lack confidence or doubt themselves, that's when we see them start to unravel.

Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2019, 03:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 674 Times in 486 Posts

Short memory. Throw your shot; once released there's absolutely nothing you can do about it but you can look forward to the next shot "one shot; one thought" (can't remember where I heard that maybe Zoe Andyke) positive vibes and rigorous practice.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-12-2019, 12:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 29
Niced 88 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
Short memory. Throw your shot; once released there's absolutely nothing you can do about it but you can look forward to the next shot "one shot; one thought" (can't remember where I heard that maybe Zoe Andyke) positive vibes and rigorous practice.
This is a common theme in ALL sports. I'm sure you can go back to the early days of baseball and find a coach or a player that said similar over 100 years ago.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 674 Times in 486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
This is a common theme in ALL sports. I'm sure you can go back to the early days of baseball and find a coach or a player that said similar over 100 years ago.
Probably find 100 LOL. it's what works for me, executing and keeping this mentality is hard and I don't always. But I try.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:46 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 128 Times in 63 Posts

I just had the thought that maybe thinking of executing a throw in a context akin to a batting average instead of a success or failure scenario. I came to understand, with hitting back in the day, that if a .300-.400 average was considered good then failing was the most common outcome of an at bat. So instead of thinking about a throw/drive as "If it was not perfect it was a failure" I could think of it as if I executed properly a decent percentage of all the aspects of the technique/form or aspects of what a shot called for or drives/throws/putts in a round that was what I can call good or good enough.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:40 PM
Par Member

Niced 72 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
For a casual or low skill player, the mental game matters little. For the professional golfer competing at the Masters, it matters more.
One of the main points all these books hammer home is the complete opposite of what you're saying. In fact shoddy mental game is often one the biggest issue amateurs have and actually professionals have better mental game skills than you and many in this thread are giving them credit for.

The difference between Paul and a 1020 rated guy isn't mental game, it's skill. Some at that elite level have better mental game than others but they all have some.

At the amateur level you see people who have terrible mental game and some understanding of it would go much further than endless form mechanics practice.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 29
Niced 88 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
One of the main points all these books hammer home is the complete opposite of what you're saying. In fact shoddy mental game is often one the biggest issue amateurs have and actually professionals have better mental game skills than you and many in this thread are giving them credit for.

The difference between Paul and a 1020 rated guy isn't mental game, it's skill. Some at that elite level have better mental game than others but they all have some.

At the amateur level you see people who have terrible mental game and some understanding of it would go much further than endless form mechanics practice.

If your skill is poor, it doesnt matter what level your "mental game" is at.. You are going to play poorly no matter what. As you get more skilled, the more the mental game will impact your score... Read the words I am using. Low skill, poor skill, casual player.. I hope you are not arguing that a novice will improve their scores more quickly through positive thinking than through physical practice..