Old 05-21-2015, 11:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default creek bed relief

From the tee box the basket is 300 ft with a creek right before you reach the basket.

The basket is placed right at the far edge of the creek bed. The creek base from the top is about 5-6 feet down. I make a drive landing on the close side of the creek incline. (About 3 feet down, dry)

Am I allowed to take relief and put my mark on the level ground behind the incline? Or do I have to balance myself on a steep incline of the creek bed?

Here's a side view diagram:
basket...grass...far side creek incline....water....close side creek incline...grass....tee pad.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2015, 11:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,756 Times in 1,559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivey311 View Post
From the tee box the basket is 300 ft with a creek right before you reach the basket.

The basket is placed right at the far edge of the creek bed. The creek base from the top is about 5-6 feet down. I make a drive landing on the close side of the creek incline. (About 3 feet down, dry)

Am I allowed to take relief and put my mark on the level ground behind the incline? Or do I have to balance myself on a steep incline of the creek bed?

Here's a side view diagram:
basket...grass...far side creek incline....water....close side creek incline...grass....tee pad.
Only if the TD declares the entire creek bed to be a casual relief area. Otherwise you have to take your stance on the dry (which is not one of the default rule book provided casual relief obstacles) slope of the creek bed as best you can. If you want relief from it, you have to take a penalty to do so.

UNLESS the slope is steep enough that you can take a stance at the bottom of the slope and still be within 30cm of the mark (measured straight out, not along the slope).

Last edited by JC17393; 05-21-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:27 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 167
Niced 176 Times in 82 Posts

Only one supporting point needs to be on the lie (up to 30cm back from the back edge of the disc. With a really steep slope, sometimes it can be helpful to use a hand as a supporting point and then you're free to put your feet anywhere behind the lie, wherever is stable, even if its way back behind the lie at the bottom of the creek bed. As long as that hand is on the lie when the disc is released its OK.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:16 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 68
Niced 281 Times in 150 Posts

If the slope is so steep that he is within 1m of the OB creek line, then there may also be some relief up to 1m from the OB line.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,756 Times in 1,559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
If the slope is so steep that he is within 1m of the OB creek line, then there may also be some relief up to 1m from the OB line.
There's no indication in the OP that the creek water is out of bounds.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,478 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
There's no indication in the OP that the creek water is out of bounds.
I would assume it is, because water in creeks is usually O.B., and because the O.P. stated that the disc was dry, and I would guess that's why he made the distinction.

For the initial question, assuming the creek is O.B., be aware that the O.B. is actually a vertical plane. You can come straight up from the edge of the water, then horizontally for 1 meter to place your lie. If the creek bank is steep enough, that may put you on top. (If the creek is not O.B., then you can't).
Old 05-22-2015, 10:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 57
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Only the creek water is OB. So if you land on the inclines you are safe...but you have some tricky footing to keep your balance.

My ruling is to always play it from where it lies unless I'm surrounded by OB. So If I land halfway down on the creek bank, then i'll have to straddle the flat ground and the incline in order to stay behind the line.

But I have seen people take relief and if they land on the incline they'll put the mark behind their lie but on the flat grass, BEFORE the creek bed. (Thus creating a much easier shot since footing is not an issue)

I thought that was a +1 penalty.

So is the ruling:

1) Play from where it lies (No penalty)
2) Give 1 meter relief (+1 penalty)

What if I land in the water OB. Do I shoot from the grass at top? Or 1 meter back from waters edge (Which puts me back on incline)

Here's a picture!

Old 05-22-2015, 10:47 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,630 Times in 739 Posts

There's a potential interpretation of the disc above/below the playing surface 802.02C that might allow the disc to be marked up on the bank or in the river bed (if water not OB). Essentially, the above/below rule implies that there are inbounds locations a disc can land that are "not playing surfaces" even though there's no definition that directly defines certain inbounds areas as "not a playing surface".

So why is this almost vertical surface at the edge of the river bed any different than if this vertical surface was say the surface of a tree trunk or the side of a crack below the ground? It would seem the purpose of 802.02C is to allow players to reposition their mark (without penalty) when landing above/below a nearby playing surface where they can physically take a stance.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

That picture helps because now I know the hole you are playing. That creek bed there is not always OB, you need to check with the TD for that hole for that particular event. (I have run events there and I think have declared it both ways depending on the time of year). That said, the slope is not that steep that you cannot take a stance on it (I've done it).

Assuming the creek is OB, It is also more than 1m (measured horizontally) to the top, so you cannot relocate to the top. Often times the footing is better closer to the water there. So if you are within 1m of the water, you might want to relocate your lie closer to the creek to get better footing.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
There's a potential interpretation of the disc above/below the playing surface 802.02C that might allow the disc to be marked up on the bank or in the river bed (if water not OB). Essentially, the above/below rule implies that there are inbounds locations a disc can land that are "not playing surfaces" even though there's no definition that directly defines certain inbounds areas as "not a playing surface".

So why is this almost vertical surface at the edge of the river bed any different than if this vertical surface was say the surface of a tree trunk or the side of a crack below the ground? It would seem the purpose of 802.02C is to allow players to reposition their mark (without penalty) when landing above/below a nearby playing surface where they can physically take a stance.

The difference is the edge of a river bed is a playing surface. Since when are tree trunks a playing surface? Your argument here is a slippery slope.