Old 01-15-2016, 02:17 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

riddle me this: why does everyone here seem to crap all over discs that are understable?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2016, 02:19 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 61
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal_Noob View Post
My power usually takes me about 150 - 300 max, I don't think this disc is designed for people with an arm much stronger than mine unless they're going to use it as some sort of utility disc. I'm expecting a lot of players with power arms to pick this up since its a speed 12 or 13 with such a wide rim and be shocked when it immediately flips on them. Even at my low power it took no effort at all to get it to turn over and hold that line.

but then again it can be just my bad form! ;P
150-300? unless that's a typo that is a borderline pointless statement
Old 01-15-2016, 02:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 48
Niced 827 Times in 565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubeofsoup View Post
riddle me this: why does everyone here seem to crap all over discs that are understable?
I'll never understand it.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 275
Niced 7 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Because all of the keyboard warriors think they are 1000 rated ability and could be the next paul mcbeth....no need for understable when you throw 500ft
Old 01-15-2016, 03:17 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,181 Times in 1,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinpflop View Post
Because all of the keyboard warriors think they are 1000 rated ability and could be the next paul mcbeth....no need for understable when you throw 500ft
Yep. If one cannot throw one's putter 300 ft., a Leopard 350 ft. and a Destroyer 500 ft., the Keyboard Warriors will try to make one feel like one should not pollute their DG courses with one's worthless presence, especially with (*gasp!*) understable discs!
Old 01-15-2016, 04:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 221 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
So, I just read your site review. Can you compare this to the various Terns as far as distance and stability are concerned? Just trying to decide if this is something I need to test side by side with my Terns.
I have only thrown a couple Terns, but on the whole I find the Crank SS to be less touchy in terms of nose angle upon release. I could only get the Tern to lock into flat from a hyzer flip a few times, otherwise it would hold or fade out early. I just could never dial it in.

The Crank is a lot easier to get long, straight flights out of, and it's certainly more understable in my experience than Terns. The Tern may have the edge on distance potential, though.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 48
Niced 827 Times in 565 Posts

Hmmmm, and thanks.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:41 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
I have only thrown a couple Terns, but on the whole I find the Crank SS to be less touchy in terms of nose angle upon release. I could only get the Tern to lock into flat from a hyzer flip a few times, otherwise it would hold or fade out early. I just could never dial it in.

The Crank is a lot easier to get long, straight flights out of, and it's certainly more understable in my experience than Terns. The Tern may have the edge on distance potential, though.
I'm going to see how the Crank feels in the hand, as that might be the difference maker between these discs for me...
Old 01-15-2016, 07:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
The argument goes like this:

If your the type of player that would benefit from throwing very understable high speed drivers it would be better for your game, in the long run, if you didn't throw those discs. Instead disc down, throw slower and relatively straighter discs and work on your technique. Using a highly understable disc that is also really fast is a crutch. You might get a little bit of "instant distance" now, but you won't be growing as a player as much as you could be.

Of course, some people don't take this sport so damn seriously, and becoming the best player they possibly can isn't something that is all that important to them. Also I totally understand people throwing those discs if they are any or all of the following: Old, Young, disabled, injury prone, female.

So I see it both ways. I certainly encourage people to put down the flippy high speed stuff, but if they don't want to (or cant) put the work in to get past needing it I won't judge them for it.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:31 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbmercil View Post
The argument goes like this:

If your the type of player that would benefit from throwing very understable high speed drivers it would be better for your game, in the long run, if you didn't throw those discs. Instead disc down, throw slower and relatively straighter discs and work on your technique. Using a highly understable disc that is also really fast is a crutch. You might get a little bit of "instant distance" now, but you won't be growing as a player as much as you could be.

Of course, some people don't take this sport so damn seriously, and becoming the best player they possibly can isn't something that is all that important to them. Also I totally understand people throwing those discs if they are any or all of the following: Old, Young, disabled, injury prone, female.

So I see it both ways. I certainly encourage people to put down the flippy high speed stuff, but if they don't want to (or cant) put the work in to get past needing it I won't judge them for it.
Flip side of the argument: I was watching a Will Shusterisk (sp?) video the other day, about driving. He asked the group he was teaching (and I'm paraphraisng from memory here) "How many of you started out with a high speed driver like a Destroyer, and it messed you up for two years because you learned to throw it in a way that now messes up your game?" or something like that.

So learning proper form is the thing to do, of course... but trying to make a too-high-speed overstable disc work might be as bad if not worse than an understable disc. Yes, I agree that discing down won't hurt, but that is somewhat beside the very specific point I'm making here.

BTW: I'm in the "old" category, so I'll continue to throw me Terns, Mambas, TDs, etc., and have fun doing it.