* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,203 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
That's an interesting comment.

So far as this relates to this thread, what type of individual do you think the PDGA will be looking for? Someone dynamic to step in and be more of a Steve Dodge figurehead to drive the PDGA tour forward, or somebody who can step back and work with the other tours? Is there any sort of vibe out there on how the PDGA BoD sees these other tours?

As far as the internet stories go, there was some contention between Dodge and the PDGA BOD over the DGPT.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2016, 08:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 345 Times in 218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfcastillo17 View Post
Just read the job posting and requirements, the requirements read almost exactly like my resume does... I still wouldn't touch this job with a 10 foot pole.
How about David Greenwell? I'm not sure if his Prodigy affiliation would be too big of an issue, or if he would even be interested, but he has always impressed me with his professionalism.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26.5
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 378 Times in 165 Posts

Terry Miller please stand up - the only thing I don't know if can/can't do effectively is fund raise. He has strong player relations, an eye for media and a history of event management (Wisco state coordinator for a long time right?). Although I don't think he would want to step away from Smashboxx and the flexibility his current gigs allow for.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:37 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 239
Niced 76 Times in 26 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Besides, I'm married. Somebody already hates every decision I make.
I literally LOL'd when I read that. Bravo, Three Putt!
Old 12-02-2016, 09:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.5
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,708 Times in 742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
by "drop in reach" I meant social media impressions (views, clicks, subs, etc...)

My thoughts are that both PT and WT (and many, including myself) underestimated the following of the PDGA. I won't claim to have enough information to nail down a specific culprit, but signs seem to be pointing that way.

More data is needed, 2nd year for each tour will be more revealing.

This is a possible explanation, my trouble with outright agreeing 100% are these factors:

2 tournaments that were "unproven" (first year) have videos in the top-10-most-viewed on SpinTV (2015 Aussie Open, 2015 European Open). They didn't have event-specific prestige built in, but they were both PDGA Majors

I don't think depth of talent in the field really factors as much as people think. Only the biggest events (i.e. Worlds) have multiple cards covered with full round videos. I think if you have 2.75 big names on average make the lead card, final round, reach can still be solid. Only top 4 make "TV" for the final round so as long as a couple of known names are there, you're good...

I think you have to have all factors in to really knock it out - well regarded courses, big names, and support from the PDGA. In 5 years, that may be different, but I just don't believe that WT and PT are draws yet. That's not to say they're doing anything wrong necessarily, just that you can't own the sport in one year.
With all due respect, I think video coverage has little to nothing to do with growing the sport. Sure engaged disc golfers watch and enjoy coverage, but I would have to believe they are doing very little to do with exposing the sport to non disc golfers. Grass root media, local tournaments and new courses impact new player numbers more than videos...IMO.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,203 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinosaurThunder View Post
Terry Miller please stand up - the only thing I don't know if can/can't do effectively is fund raise. He has strong player relations, an eye for media and a history of event management (Wisco state coordinator for a long time right?). Although I don't think he would want to step away from Smashboxx and the flexibility his current gigs allow for.

I would think there would be a big conflict of interest.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,085 Times in 869 Posts

PDGA needs a multi-faceted manager, not a fund raiser. Hopefully growing the pro tour is way down on the priority list for potential hires.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

So, what do people think the Board should task the new ED with? I've seen a few simplistic comments, and a few interesting ones. But what direction should we take?
Old 12-02-2016, 01:48 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 49 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
So, what do people think the Board should task the new ED with? I've seen a few simplistic comments, and a few interesting ones. But what direction should we take?
Getting more disc golf in schools. Marketing the game to parents with kids ages 5 to ~15, as a quality competitive sport and alternative to contact sports. Getting baskets to middle/high schools that have some land around them; or even 1 or 2 baskets in at schools with less land.

Additionally, getting mini courses of 3 or 6 baskets, say, in at smaller parks close to (densely populated) residential areas that kids could easily walk to to play.

Real long term growth can come from an investment in tangible disc golf infrastructure, like I briefly described above, and by directing attention towards younger people. Just some quick thoughts.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colucc43 View Post
Getting more disc golf in schools. Marketing the game to parents with kids ages 5 to ~15, as a quality competitive sport and alternative to contact sports. Getting baskets to middle/high schools that have some land around them; or even 1 or 2 baskets in at schools with less land.

Additionally, getting mini courses of 3 or 6 baskets, say, in at smaller parks close to (densely populated) residential areas that kids could easily walk to to play.

Real long term growth can come from an investment in tangible disc golf infrastructure, like I briefly described above, and by directing attention towards younger people. Just some quick thoughts.
I like this thinking. I honestly don't know how it would work without on the ground advocacy, but I agree with the growth model.

More and more parents are pulling their kids from team sports because the environment is so hostile and unfriendly. After five years of competitive soccer, I pulled both my sons. Too many psycho parents and trainers.