Old 03-04-2019, 11:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,363 Times in 794 Posts

I feel like Paige is SO good so she have been able to take risks and still win . . but thats getting harder, will she adapt?

Eveliina throw 4 OBs . . Paige 15!! . . and still she "only" lost by 4 throws, so she have a "buffer" just not THAT big of a buffer
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2019, 12:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 688 Times in 543 Posts

I will agree she brings entertainment value. She throws drives 50' further than other women competitors.

Throwing OB like 13 times in 1 tourny and still only losing by 4 proves that she EASILY has the capability to be the best woman player out there.

The 1 advantage she has is her length. She can take the risk and drive holes other women have to lay up on.

Fixing the putting yips should be the first thing she addresses.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 70
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 265 Times in 155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcσn View Post
Paige, unlike Paul or Ricky, has no equal. She can only lose to herself.
Yup. Got to see her practice up close alot at Vista last week when i was up there for a day.
She basically has to practice with the pro men since she throws similar lines.

She has powerful effortless clean technique in such a tiny package.

Definitely humbling.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-04-2019, 12:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 527 Times in 336 Posts

My biggest question mark for the couple of tourneys I've seen her play this season is the lack of control on her drives. Sure, she has that extra 50' consistently so she can jump putt when the other ladies are upshotting, but when she's sawing off drives or yanking them OB the scales tip in the wrong direction.

Reminds me of... I want to say McBeth in 2017 at the USDGC? Is that the one he had to bow out of? I find parallels between 2016-2017 McBeth and current Pierce, in that they are still trying to rely on that high risk play after the competition has become consistent enough to "punish" it. Furthermore, the percentages on those high risk plays have dipped for some reason, which doesn't help.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 259
Niced 172 Times in 90 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to roadtripstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
My biggest question mark for the couple of tourneys I've seen her play this season is the lack of control on her drives. Sure, she has that extra 50' consistently so she can jump putt when the other ladies are upshotting, but when she's sawing off drives or yanking them OB the scales tip in the wrong direction.

Reminds me of... I want to say McBeth in 2017 at the USDGC? Is that the one he had to bow out of? I find parallels between 2016-2017 McBeth and current Pierce, in that they are still trying to rely on that high risk play after the competition has become consistent enough to "punish" it. Furthermore, the percentages on those high risk plays have dipped for some reason, which doesn't help.
I think that is basically it, the competition is getting closer and closer, not there yet, but she can't take the risks that she used to and still walk away with the win. She is undoubtedly the best female player out there, but I think she will have to start playing a little smarter to walk away with the wins like she has been able to the past few seasons. She will though and she'll start racking up the wins again.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 527 Times in 336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtripstuff View Post
I think that is basically it, the competition is getting closer and closer, not there yet, but she can't take the risks that she used to and still walk away with the win. She is undoubtedly the best female player out there, but I think she will have to start playing a little smarter to walk away with the wins like she has been able to the past few seasons. She will though and she'll start racking up the wins again.
100% agree, I don't think she's peaked, just growing pains. Also I appreciate the tongue in cheek nature of this thread to begin with.

I like to think of it as the "Nate Safeton" factor - as that level of play coming from super consistent players like Nate increases, the risk from those high risk high reward plays starts to bite more.

The competition will force her to improve.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:59 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 3
Niced 148 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post

She has powerful effortless clean technique in such a tiny package.

Definitely humbling.
Wow, that is the best description in such few words that I have seen yet!
Old 03-05-2019, 09:32 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 160 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorpro View Post
Paige has been paid to play all over the world in the last year. They aren't bringing her to these places to lay up. They pay her because she is excited to watch.
watching somebody throw OB a bunch is not exciting to me, but you do you

Old 03-05-2019, 11:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 878 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
When you play smart disc golf and execute all your shots, it can get pretty boring. When you take chances and get bit some of the time, it's called entertainment. Disc golf needs to be entertaining.
ok.. you're probably onto something there. Perhaps there is clauses in her contract that yields a financial bonus worth while to not have to take 1st place all the time in order to make a living. I read earlier several pros have media bonuses and I didn't think of that. It's just so anti climatic for her to have all this obvious skill and then not also get the win. I think there could be some compromise for her on the course, knowing when to go for the highlight reel shot while also keeping an eye on the w.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:07 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,609 Times in 730 Posts

When you throw OB a lot, you end up showcasing more (sponsor) discs...