Old 07-31-2019, 01:49 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 141 Times in 76 Posts

Thank you. I also have been flip flopping between both interpretations.

Since the stance rules only matter 'at the point of release', it seems consistent to have the marking rules the same. Not that consistency is always warranted or a requirement.

I still feel I could be swayed back the other way by the next commentator...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2019, 02:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 107
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 203 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
My interpretation is that moving the thrown disc prior to one of these happening is a violation:

a) you make your next throw from behind the thrown disc.

b) you place a mini marker adjacent to and in front of the thrown disc.

You can't move your disc before you throw, unless you place a marker prior to moving the disc.
I agree with this with a caveat. If inadvertently moved the disc it may be replaced. IE stepped on a stick that turned the disc up on edge and it rolled or flipped or moved in some manner you are allowed to replace the disc back in it’s original position.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 494 Times in 286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiac View Post
inadvertently moved
Is this difference specified in the rules?
Old 08-01-2019, 11:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 107
Niced 203 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
I looked and could not find a specific rule. I thought i had read somewhere about returning a disc to it's original position as agreed by the group somewhere in the rules. I'll continue to search.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:01 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,607 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
I think the passage about "inadvertent marker movement" was removed in the latest rule book. Now, it appears you could get a warning for a marking violation under 802.06 D if your mini is moved or your mark is picked up accidentally then returned to where it's supposed to be, that is if your group wishes to call the warning.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 68
Niced 277 Times in 148 Posts

You mean like this: 810.B "A marker disc that has moved is replaced to its original location, as agreed on by the group."
Old 08-01-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
You mean like this: 810.B "A marker disc that has moved is replaced to its original location, as agreed on by the group."
Okay, fine. Poor place to locate that statement in the rules under Interference versus the section on Marking a Lie so even those more familiar with the rules can't find it.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-01-2019, 02:10 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.5
Courses Played: 365
Niced 1,688 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Okay, fine. Poor place to locate that statement in the rules under Interference versus the section on Marking a Lie so even those more familiar with the rules can't find it.
Eat a Snickers.

That section could use a better title, but it's the right place to put all the stuff about "other" ways a disc can be moved.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Eat a Snickers.

That section could use a better title, but it's the right place to put all the stuff about "other" ways a disc can be moved.
I think the problem with the way several of the current rules are written has more to do with the RC trying to combine similar concepts that they have studied in depth to bring together under a section title and not realizing that players organize their thinking by "what section of the rules do I go to find the answer to an issue." I think Interference in many players' minds would primarily discuss what to do when an outside element, animal or player "moves" your disc or mark. I think Marking a Lie is intuitively where one would go when you are "moving" your disc or marker. I know the RC's goal is to reduce duplication of the rules. But some redundancy for some things stated in a slightly different way in different related sections can help the players in the field find things when making a call is important. The Rules aren't just about how brilliant the RC can be organizing and writing them but how useful and accessible they make them so players can follow or find the correct answers when needed.

Niced: (1)

Old 08-01-2019, 03:53 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.5
Courses Played: 365
Niced 1,688 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I think the problem with the way several of the current rules are written has more to do with the RC trying to combine similar concepts that they have studied in depth to bring together under a section title and not realizing that players organize their thinking by "what section of the rules do I go to find the answer to an issue." I think Interference in many players' minds would primarily discuss what to do when an outside element, animal or player "moves" your disc or mark. I think Marking a Lie is intuitively where one would go when you are "moving" your disc or marker. I know the RC's goal is to reduce duplication of the rules. But some redundancy for some things stated in a slightly different way in different related sections can help the players in the field find things when making a call is important. The Rules aren't just about how brilliant the RC can be organizing and writing them but how useful and accessible they make them so players can follow or find the correct answers when needed.
Accessibility is of primary concern. We always try to imagine the situation happening in the field and how quickly the applicable rule can be found.

The rules are laid out in order of the way players normally move through rounds and holes. So, the section can be found by knowing where you are in the round or the hole. Just started? It's toward the front. Wonder about whether the hole was complete? Farther down.

Or, perhaps you need a definition. Look in the index to find where it first shows up, and that will also land you in or near the rule for which you need to know the definition.

All the normal stuff is included in the regular flow. Stuff that may not happen during a normal round is kept out of the normal flow. This way the strange situations do not clog up looking for the common situations.

I agree the title "Interference" doesn't help get players to the right rule for this situation. (A search for the word "move" would, but the titles should also be doing that job. The more ways to find the rule, the better.)

If there was a section called "Other kinds of movement of markers and thrown discs" (or something like that), wouldn't you go there instead of Marking?