Old 09-27-2019, 01:29 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 160 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Great job

Still don't see how this makes it (the collective) our responsibility you should remain spoiler free.
Maybe you don't see that because that's not a point I was trying to make

people keep saying "THERE ARE NO SPOILERS IN SPORTS" as if all sports are "equal" in every way. they're not.

do you get it now?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2019, 01:31 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 150 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I know you are very busy right now but i would love to hear some elaboration on this point.
This...
Old 09-27-2019, 01:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,123 Times in 641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Couldn't find praxoligy. Did you mean praxeology?
Yes. I should have spell checked myself. It does one's argument no good if no one can research said argument. Sorry, all.

I fulfill the stereotype that programmers are bad at spelling.

Last edited by wolfmandragon; 09-27-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:36 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,906 Times in 456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
Ways disc golf is different from other major sports as is most relevant to our discussion:
TV broadcasting. Disc golf is not on broadcast TV, live or otherwise.
Live product. Live coverage of disc golf, when available, is of a certain quality. I would describe it as "semi-professional". As such, if you want to watch live disc golf, you are sacrificing quality for timeliness.
Post round coverage. Doesn't exist for other sports as it exists in disc golf. Why? Because the live product in other sports is better than our post round heavily edited coverage.

want me to keep going?
Actually most major sports have post production coverage now. Almost all the major sports have a shortened version for paying customers of their PPV service.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:40 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 160 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
Actually most major sports have post production coverage now. Almost all the major sports have a shortened version for paying customers of their PPV service.
What I said was:

Quote:
Post round coverage. Doesn't exist for other sports as it exists in disc golf.
thanks though!
Old 09-27-2019, 01:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,725 Times in 1,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwgort View Post
Interesting that this section is about still images, not video.
video
[ vid-ee-oh ]
noun
1. a program, movie, or other visual media product featuring moving images, with or without audio, that is recorded and saved digitally or on videocassette:
The word image (the rule does not specify "still image") encompasses photographs and video/film.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 834 Times in 376 Posts

The break between GMC and USDGC is clearly too long this year. We've already gotten to the pointless back-and-forth on spoilers for USDGC, and the event is still basically a week away!

Can't we all just take a break and argue about something else? Maybe drop into the par thread and get riled up? Or form strong opinions on whether Ricky peaked before or after switching to Innova?

Old 09-27-2019, 02:15 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 83
Niced 157 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
video
[ vid-ee-oh ]
noun
1. a program, movie, or other visual media product featuring moving images, with or without audio, that is recorded and saved digitally or on videocassette:
The word image (the rule does not specify "still image") encompasses photographs and video/film.
That's certainly an argument the PDGA lawyers could make if there was a dispute over video-recording someone's likeness. It may or may not work. It could be fixed easily by explicit/more clear language. Also, since the PDGA is the one drafting the rules, in a court of law, they will be construed in the most favorable way for the player (since the player is the one having to abide by the contract of adhesion).

Regardless, industry standard is to use something that specifically gives permission for video images. Here's a simple explanation from rocketlawyer.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-27-2019, 02:44 PM
Par Member

Niced 72 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Get off of social media. How can you expect not to find out who won if you are on social media during the tournament?
As I mentioned, Social Media is part of my job, so it's sort of impossible for me to avoid. I do try to stay away from the results, but it's difficult when it surprises you in your feed. Like I said, I'll likely be unfollowing certain pages who do this.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:47 PM
Par Member

Niced 72 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
So you want the people you follow on social media to put up click-bait titles so that you can decide when you want to find out the result? Things like that are one of the huge problems with social media right now. Imagine if news outlets did this for natural disasters or amber alerts.
If you are comparing amber alerts, to Disc Golf results... We're having a different conversation here bud. Amber alert is something people NEED to know for the safety of human lives.
When it come to something like disc golf, and something we're already following, and you're much more likely to get me to watch your video if you give me just enough info for me to want to watch it, without giving it all away so I have no reason to watch it.
It's like advertising a movie while giving away the ending... Why the hell would I want to watch that?