Old 10-08-2019, 08:28 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,026 Times in 669 Posts

As many have said the Envy goes a lot farther than a Rhyno. Rhyno is short for a putter and an Envy can be midrange long, and even though it has great HSS it’s not the same thing really.

The question is then, do you need both?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2019, 09:22 AM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I rely on a cglow Rhyno and Neutron Envy for my approach game.
The Rhyno is good for when you don't want it to run away from you. Touchy straight to fade and forced flex approaches. Reliably overstable but wouldn't say beefy. This is the disc I grab when I need to flick a long sweeping anhyzer approach that won't turn and burn.
The envy is my all-around longer approach disc. Often comes out when I want a bit more distance without sacrificing accuracy with for example a powered up Rhyno throw. Surprisingly glidey and handles a lot of power and torque. Beaten in it finishes straight but holds a hyzer nicely if thrown clean.
I recommend bagging them both. They are good discs that compliment each other.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 65
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 122 Times in 89 Posts

Seconding the sentimate that pro or R-Pro is the way to go for rhynos.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Niced: (1)
Old 10-08-2019, 11:28 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Niced 423 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
...Personally I would not replace the Proxy with an Electron Envy. The Proxy will hold that flight for years while an Electron Envy has the potential to lose that dead straight flight with a couple of bad tree shots.

Since you love the Proxy, having the Envy with such a similar feel presents certains advantages...
I 100% agree with this. I tried bagging an Electron Envy instead of a Proxy, and one bad tree hit drastically changed the flight characteristics. Plus, the Electron Envy actually feels different in the hand than a regular Envy. I'm not sure if it is a seperate mold, or if it is the same mold but just cools differently. Either way, a Neutron Envy has more in common with a Neutron Proxy than it does an Electron Envy, at least in terms of hand feel. The only reason I'd bag an Electron Envy as a thrower would be if I wanted a less stable flight than a Proxy, not as a Proxy replacement.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,114 Times in 637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
I 100% agree with this. I tried bagging an Electron Envy instead of a Proxy, and one bad tree hit drastically changed the flight characteristics. Plus, the Electron Envy actually feels different in the hand than a regular Envy. I'm not sure if it is a seperate mold, or if it is the same mold but just cools differently. Either way, a Neutron Envy has more in common with a Neutron Proxy than it does an Electron Envy, at least in terms of hand feel. The only reason I'd bag an Electron Envy as a thrower would be if I wanted a less stable flight than a Proxy, not as a Proxy replacement.
It is in fact a modified mold; they had to do that to get the Electron to mold up correctly. Very slight difference though, but Electron does have a bit better glide.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:35 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 95
Niced 14 Times in 11 Posts

Rhyno was my original putter of choice (a long time ago). It's a great confidence builder... but it has limited range. Slow speed, stable, short-range. I always dug the tumbtrack on top.

I don't carry the proxy, though I probably should given most guys who carry what I do throw it. I could use something that flips over.

I ride the Envy / Entropy combo for most shots inside 300 ft. I could easily play with only Envy / Entropy and put up pretty decent scores on most standard 250-350' hole courses. I carry Envys because I can power down or up and achieve 10ft or 300ft shots and not feel like I've lost control. I carry them in plasma and eclipse. I also have some wt. variance - I really dig a 165 eclipse Envy for it's glide and OS. I carry 173 plasma when I need a bit more control. But note I'm using Envy as an all-around driver, approach, putter - where as the Rhyno is a pure putter. I don't feel the need to carry a pure putter because I like how the Envy feels in the hand.

Very different animals.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-09-2019, 12:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 758 Times in 529 Posts

Yeah it's a tough call.. Very specific to usage. I used to be a big Rhino guy, I've got a 177 champ that's beat to almost straight. I tried getting it a friend and failed 4 or so times, DX, R-pro, Champ.. Every one threw different and I wasn't into them. Enter the plasma Envy... beat Rhyno flight and mid distance. That was the disc I backed.. I also went down to 165g... and DX/electron has a limited life where I am..

I still can't seem to part with my Rhino, I can't find it a good enough home but it also doesn't get bagged anymore.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 588 Times in 431 Posts

I'm kinda in the same boat. I love the Proxy, I have some worked in Proxies that I sometimes Pair with a fresh one and the stability difference is enough to warrant the 2 discs. Sometimes I'll go with - Proxy, Envy, Stabilizer, Zone. Other times Proxy, more stable proxy Zone (the stabilizer is still new to me but I reallllly like it and its not as OS as a zone, its more like an OS envy)

Or I also rock a beat electron Atom, neutron(or proton) Atom, and a Zone. So what I'm saying....you have choices just depends on how the actual disc flies. So a premium plastic Envy or Atom is my more stable Proxy disc in most situations (though 2x proxies is great but they don't stay super stable for that long - I got lucky with one Proxy that just happens to be SUPER stable and that pairs REALLY well with my beat plasma Proxy. definitely 2 different flights there)
Old 10-10-2019, 06:34 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 102 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
As many have said the Envy goes a lot farther than a Rhyno. Rhyno is short for a putter and an Envy can be midrange long, and even though it has great HSS it’s not the same thing really.

The question is then, do you need both?
I can answer this by saying get a GStar Rhyno, beat it in and you have a disc that takes the best of both and evens it out. You have the stability of the Rhyno with the Glide of an Envy. The distance will be between the two, but I've gotten mine out to putting range on 300' shots with a high toss.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:31 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 95
Niced 14 Times in 11 Posts

... of course, you could use my logic...

... in a standard 54 par round...

... at maximum, 18 shots will require a driver...

... at minimum, 36 shots will be putt / approach...

...Very few courses are without 250-300' holes. Likewise, very few courses are all 350+ holes...

Therefore... your rig should lean heavy towards your putt / approach game... not drives.