Old 09-25-2008, 06:48 PM

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 4
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to SunIsBlue15
Default Controlling Understability

So I'm a RHBH player, and I typically drive with a Star Destroyer (overstable) and a Star Valkyrie (stable). I do have a DX ArchAngel that I try to throw sometimes, but I'm extremely inconsistent with it. Sometimes I get great distance out of it, but mostly it turns over and doesn't go where I want it to. From the research I've done in an attempt to understand stability, it seems like this is happening because the disc is understable and I have a big arm. Is that a correct assessment?

I've tried throwing it with a hyzer but it seems to flatten out and turn right almost immediately. Is my technique just wrong? What technique adjustments should I make when throwing this disc when compared to an overstable disc -- like my Destroyer -- if I want it to go long and end up straight ahead?

(if I didn't explain this well, let me know and I'll try to do a better job)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 3
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I think it is a combination of technique and the disc. The Archangel is VERY understable. I would suggest a star roadrunner. Try throwing with 60-75% power and concentrate on being smooth and see if that helps.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:06 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangitboy View Post
I think it is a combination of technique and the disc. The Archangel is VERY understable. I would suggest a star roadrunner. Try throwing with 60-75% power and concentrate on being smooth and see if that helps.
Yeah that's kind of what I've noticed. If I throw it with less power I can control it a lot better. But I lose a lot of distance that way. It's frustrating because randomly I've probably had my longest drives ever with the disc. I just can't repeat whatever I did on a consistent basis. I'm not giving up on it yet, though.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 81
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

To me there are two factors: Arm speed and nose angle. If you throw a disc faster than it's speed rating it will turn right more than the manufacturers posted ratings. If you throw it slower than it's speed rating it will maintain it's stability. If the nose is up the disc will stop spinning quicker and therefore seem to be more stable. if the nose is down too much the disc will turnover faster.

Disc weight will have an effect on arm speed. It's much easier to throw a 150g disc faster than a speed of 9 than it is to throw a 178g disc faster than a speed of 9.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:26 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

For the record, the weight of my disc is 166g.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 51 Times in 22 Posts

The Archangel is considered by many to be one of the lest predictable discs ever made. A beat up DX Valkyrie will have similar speed, still be understable but will be more predictable.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:30 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
The Archangel is considered by many to be one of the lest predictable discs ever made.
Well, at least that makes me feel a bit better about myself haha. From what I've read, a disc being pretty beat up makes it more understable, right?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 59
Niced 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunIsBlue15 View Post
Well, at least that makes me feel a bit better about myself haha. From what I've read, a disc being pretty beat up makes it more understable, right?
Yes. And, not all discs are created equal. If you want distance, look for that in a disc that is made for that. The Archangel is mainly used for right turning shots for RHBH throwers. Same with the Stingray and Roadrunner. If you want something that goes straight, try a Pro Valkyrie, or a Viking. For overstable shots, look for a disc with those numbers. When picking a disc, check the numbers. Also, do lots of field practice.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Disc Mafia Member

Years Playing: 32.6
Courses Played: 258
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

I would really try out a Discwing Quarter K II, Innova Monarch, Latitude Vision, or an Innova Sidewinder. Any one of those will let you throw harder and should start out moving right and then turnover and go left at the end. I listed these in the order of Faster Speed first. I didn't list the Roadrunner, since I have not thrown that one. Hope this helps.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:53 PM

Courses Played: 23
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunIsBlue15 View Post
Very much so, especially if it's DX plastic. The champion and star plastic hold their shape better. Discraft makes some very durable plastic too. I love my "Force 2."

Some of my most understable discs were originally overstable (the wraith in particluar).

Also, you might want to try experimenting with your grip. Put your thumb in further when you throw back hand and see what it does.