Old 05-22-2015, 11:22 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivey311 View Post
Only the creek water is OB.
Depending on how steep the bank is and where the disc is relative to the water line, 803.02.D might be in play.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2015, 11:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,430 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivey311 View Post
Only the creek water is OB. So if you land on the inclines you are safe...but you have some tricky footing to keep your balance.

My ruling is to always play it from where it lies unless I'm surrounded by OB. So If I land halfway down on the creek bank, then i'll have to straddle the flat ground and the incline in order to stay behind the line.

But I have seen people take relief and if they land on the incline they'll put the mark behind their lie but on the flat grass, BEFORE the creek bed. (Thus creating a much easier shot since footing is not an issue)

I thought that was a +1 penalty.

So is the ruling:

1) Play from where it lies (No penalty)
2) Give 1 meter relief (+1 penalty)

What if I land in the water OB. Do I shoot from the grass at top? Or 1 meter back from waters edge (Which puts me back on incline)
If you land in the water, you get 1 meter from whichever side you entered the water. With, of course, a penalty. Assuming the water is O.B. (If the water is casual, you get relief straight back from your disc, up to 5 meters, no penalty).

If you land near the water, you get 1 meter away from the water, without penalty. Even if that meter takes you closer to the basket.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 68
Niced 279 Times in 149 Posts

One other thought. You only need one supporting point on the line of play, so you might be able to play it with one foot on the slope and the rest of your body up on the flat ground.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:02 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,609 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
The difference is the edge of a river bed is a playing surface. Since when are tree trunks a playing surface? Your argument here is a slippery slope.
I'm saying that if a slope is too steep to take a stance, then the player should be allowed to move the lie up or down away from the basket on the line of play to the nearest point on a playing surface you can take a stance per 802.02C. And yes, discs land in pinch points between trunks and branches or even in them (hollows, cracks). The rule even states if bringing the disc down toward the ground is actually inside the trunk cylinder, you mark behind the tree on LOP.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 68
Niced 279 Times in 149 Posts

The problem is who gets to determine it is too steep?
Old 05-22-2015, 12:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 54
Niced 15 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
The problem is who gets to determine it is too steep?
I would think the other players on the card- "Hey guys, this looks kind of dangerous- can I take relief?" If it looks like you would slide down the surface if you tried to stand on it, that would probably be the difference.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:56 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 81
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

This question came up yesterday... Creek about ten feet from the basket. My disc was laying on a round rock on the basket side, 1/4 in the water and sitting almost vertically. There was no way, even if I marked in front of the disc, for me to stand anywhere but in the creek if I was going to be behind my disc. For the sake of argument, let's say that the rock was a sort of peninsula and there was no land to stand on 30cm to either side on a horizontal plane to the basket. The creek was about 5' wide at the point where my disc lay.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:30 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,609 Times in 730 Posts

Was the creek OB or casual? If OB, then you get a meter in toward the basket. If casual, you could mark your lie up to 5m further back to get out of the water or even more if the TD allowed extended relief.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:05 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 81
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The creek was OB. Good to know the rule for both situations though, Thanks!
As an aside, I find the, "Meter in towards the basket" rule extremely odd. Having wasted the majority of my life hitting little balls with clubs, the words, "No closer to the basket" became ingrained in my OB vernacular. There are several places on my home course where the 1 meter in rule takes you from a tester 8' putt from the edge of the creek bed several feet uphill to what is from there a fairly elevated basket, to an arms reach drop in standing level with the basket.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 41
Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunz View Post
The creek was OB. Good to know the rule for both situations though, Thanks!
As an aside, I find the, "Meter in towards the basket" rule extremely odd. Having wasted the majority of my life hitting little balls with clubs, the words, "No closer to the basket" became ingrained in my OB vernacular. There are several places on my home course where the 1 meter in rule takes you from a tester 8' putt from the edge of the creek bed several feet uphill to what is from there a fairly elevated basket, to an arms reach drop in standing level with the basket.
It is weird at times - but given that you can't have a stance which is OB, it is required.

This makes for some interesting design choices if there is OB that close to a pin.